Windows 10 to kill steam?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

Windows 10 to kill steam?

Post by Taleric »

A speculative article but I am very glad I saved my win7 systems from the 10 plague.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... eak-steam/

Guess I will have to actually look at a new OS in two years ugh lol.
Rob

Re: Windows 10 to kill steam?

Post by Rob »

Maybe I didn't read the right article. But you do realize you linked to an article that basically called Tim Sweeney a conspiracy theorist(didn't say it, but that's the vibe I got)? **EDIT: I do realize that the article Tim wrote is print only, in a UK magazine. But no other articles I've come across paint his ideas in a positive light.** The article positions that Windows killing Win32 would have more repercussions on the company in markets /way/ more important than the Steam community. I could see Windows cracking down on the permissions issue, but that doesn't break Steam, it just annoys users with accept/decline pop-ups.

Maybe I shouldn't discredit anything as conspiracy rhetoric? Maybe we will all be running a version of Android on our computers soon? :P
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

A lot of people would be very pissed off if this happened. I can't see how this is possible. Microsoft would only get hurt by doing something like this.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I could absolutely see Microsoft trying to kill off the competition on the platform it controls. However, as the article points out, they can't do it without breaking other things.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I've been procrastinating regarding the update for a full year now - hard to believe the deadline is in 2 days. Is it worth upgrading from 8? I can't say I've seen any features in that actually seem worth the hassle when I'd likely be buying a new PC before 8 stops being supported.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

I always try and run the oldest revision of windows that still has mainstream support. I only dropped XP about 3 years ago, and I was running 7 up until about 3 months ago when I realised Overwatch needed SP1 at a minimum so I upgraded it.

For me, Windows (and any operating system really) has always just been a place to launch programs from and move files around. I don't need anything more complex than that. I'd still be on Windows 98 if it was supported. Every revision seems to just add more useless bullshit that just that requires progressively better hardware to run and has more chance of fucking up. I really don't get it.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Stormweaver wrote:I've been procrastinating regarding the update for a full year now - hard to believe the deadline is in 2 days. Is it worth upgrading from 8? I can't say I've seen any features in that actually seem worth the hassle when I'd likely be buying a new PC before 8 stops being supported.
I never had Win8 but from the gripes I've heard, I think upgrading from Win8 is worth it, but not from Win7? Because Win8 isn't much better than Win10? *shrugs*

I use Win10 and don't have any issues with it, possibly because of my ignorance/acceptance of all the things people seem to complain about most. So there is that?
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I consider myself a power user, and I enjoy win10. The multiple desktops feature is something I've used in various linux environments for years, and I'm glad to finally have that. Being able to alter my 'start' menu items to the degree that I can now means that my commonly used stuff is 2 clicks away, and my less required applications are still easily within reach. I also keep my taskbars mounted to the far sides of my monitors which brings most of the various menus up in nice places (to my tastes, ymmv). I have disabled as much of the data collecting and telemetry that we publicly know of. If you are really paranoid, you can also keep a separate operating system on dual-boot.

My only complaint so far is that soon Cortana will be always on. I expect someone to figure out a work around or outright hack to disable that, but you never know. I would not go back to 8, and I would only return to 7 if disabling Cortana proves truly impossible.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Linux FTW! ;P
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

abculatter_2 wrote:Linux FTW! ;P
Hush you, you switched like 24 hours ago :p

You don't get to be a douche like us yet
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Stormweaver wrote:I've been procrastinating regarding the update for a full year now - hard to believe the deadline is in 2 days. Is it worth upgrading from 8? I can't say I've seen any features in that actually seem worth the hassle when I'd likely be buying a new PC before 8 stops being supported.
I would recommend whatever you do, do the upgrade and then decide. The upgrade process makes it piss easy to rollback to your old OS if you don't like it and then you have your system registered for win10 for if you ever feel like having it in the future.
Personally I upgraded because my ststem had not had a wipe since I got windows 7 and it was bogged down so I did a clean wipe and cleared off 800gigs of fluff. I have been pretty happy with it overall.
The optimizations on DX12 mean that my older graphics card can now play DX11 games way nicer which is probably the best part of everything. In the end its personal preference.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I mean, I've stuck with 7 just because the whole metro UI thing bothers me, even if it's optional. Every step Microsoft has taken seems to be things I don't even like. Honestly, if Win10 kills steam, I'd be happy to see devs pushing for Linux development so I can finally switch over permanently
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Well, I've taken the plunge. Not a huge fan of the 1 minute-per-sentence slideshow telling me 'things have improved' and that there are 'things to be exited about' first time I logged in though. After not responding to any input I was about to reboot my PC when the text changed to tell me not to :v

I'll give it a week to get used to it and if the little things have stopped annoying me by then, I'll stick with it. Till then - I've used auto-hide on the task bar since the day It became available on windows. It's great, gives me more screen to work with, and looks neat. Now the animation stutters horribly. I'm relived that this is the most annoying thing I've noticed so far, but then again it's only been 20 mins :3
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
mc_isaac

Post by mc_isaac »

That screen is just win10 building your profile, and setting up stuff in the background. Windows 7 did it to albeit a small setup box in the left hand corner that took seconds.
But hey when you upgrade there is a lot more going on then a fresh install.

I've been using windows 10 since it launched. And I would never go back. Windows 10 can write PDFs natively, mount ISOs natively, it's generally faster than win7, and it can do a bunch of other stuff you always had to install bloatware programs to do in the past. The multiple Desktops feature finally brings windows 10 up to Linux and OSX in that regard. Multi Monitor setups on win10 are better and more customization than on win7. Which is nice if you like using multiple desktops/monitors...
Windows 10 also handles enterprise environments way better than 8 did.

And honestly as far as the data they collect... If you use a smart phone, have a facebook, have a google account, have an Apple account, more than likely your data is already out there anyway.. What's the harm in giving it to Microsoft also?

Plus Cortana tells you jokes.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

mc_isaac wrote: What's the harm in giving it to Microsoft also?
AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Don't mind me. Carry on :)
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Stormweaver wrote:Now the animation stutters horribly. I'm relived that this is the most annoying thing I've noticed so far,
In the event you may be unaware, you can disable a lot of those annoying animations.
Spoiler
Show
Uristqwerty

Post by Uristqwerty »

In the case of multiple desktops, they've finally caught up with windows xp, where you could download a "virtual desktop switcher" powertoy directly from microsoft.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Apart from the FlowerChild-destroying level of Orwellian tools it has (which were in your beloved XP too btw folks, stop acting like it's new), Windows 10 is a big improvement over Windows 7 and XP I find. I've used 8.1 for a few months at work and I liked that a lot and 10 improves heaps on that.

I do recommend buying DisplayFusion and StartIsBack, because they still haven't figured out how to do proper multi-monitor support and the new Start Menu is a bit much. StartIsBack ($3) also has a setting that just lets you plainly shut off Cortana in full, which is helpful for those of you that feel Windows 10 is causing an urge to buy tinfoil (maybe for good reasons, not arguing that, I just think mc_isaac has a point, though I don't agree that that means you should encourage them).

So yeah, I'm loving Windows 10 and tomorrow the GNU for Windows finally comes out, which is pretty awesome. Getting to have a full bash, proper terminal and apt-get in Windows, supported by Microsoft is pretty cool.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx