Hodor!!!!! - Game of Thrones spoilers

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Niyu

Re: Hodor!!!!! - Game of Thrones spoilers

Post by Niyu »

Gilberreke wrote: Anyone else got an opinion on translated books/movies/etc?
Here in Spain the dubbing is really good in movies and some TV shows. Lip synching is taken really seriously and we have really good voice actors.

We also use the same voice actors for the same original actors so we see their faces we think of the voice actor voice.

And finally, some movies, in my opinion are better in their dubbed versions just because the voice ators are better than the original actors. Like Spanish Darth Vader, Constantino Romero.
devak

Post by devak »

Gilberreke wrote: Anyone else got an opinion on translated books/movies/etc?
Many authors often include little jokes that are often entirely lost in translation. So if i can, i watch things in english and without subtitles. Even subtitles are often wrong.
Gilberreke wrote: Yeah, I'll have to disagree here. I think season 6 has the biggest amount of reveals, the biggest fights, the best dialogues that we have seen yet. This is the first season where I'm sitting on the edge of my couch, fidgeting with my hands and it has been that way since the very first episode of this season. So yeah, dunno, it just seems odd to me that others don't feel the same, but I guess it's relative to the person?
Things like John Snow living were clearly going to happen.

The main players that almost certainly will live to see the end:

*Daenarys. Almost the entire Essos story is about her.
*Arya.
*Tyrion
*John Snow
*Sansa Bolton-Stark.
*Bran Stark

I don't think the show can afford to kill them.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Niyu wrote:Here in Spain the dubbing is really good in movies and some TV shows. Lip synching is taken really seriously and we have really good voice actors.

We also use the same voice actors for the same original actors so we see their faces we think of the voice actor voice.

And finally, some movies, in my opinion are better in their dubbed versions just because the voice ators are better than the original actors. Like Spanish Darth Vader, Constantino Romero.
Can I disagree with that? I cringed a LOT watching that Star Wars thing I'm afraid :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Gilberreke wrote:Can I disagree with that? I cringed a LOT watching that Star Wars thing I'm afraid :D
Of course you can disagree. But in it's defense I'll say that Stars Wars is also cringy in the original version.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Brasil had great dubs for most of the 90s cartoons. Stuff like DBZ, Saint seiya, Pokemon and pretty much anything from Cartoon Network. But we always suffered from bad movie dubs.
Aetherius wrote:In the books Winterfell is translated to "Grande Inverno", "Great Winter" in English...
Yeah thats not a problem in PT-BR, Winterfel is Winterfell, but Riverrun is Correrrio ("correr" run, "rio" river). Even when they did translated city names they tried their best to maintain a similar feeling.

What is happening right for a while now Dubs in games. Microsoft discovered that if they dub a game they can sell imported software as national and bypass some taxes. Its good cuz we get games cheaper but GODDAMN those dubs are aweful. The dubs have no idea what they are saying.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Aetherius

Post by Aetherius »

Wafflewaffle wrote:Brasil had great dubs for most of the 90s cartoons. Stuff like DBZ, Saint seiya, Pokemon and pretty much anything from Cartoon Network. But we always suffered from bad movie dubs.
Aetherius wrote:In the books Winterfell is translated to "Grande Inverno", "Great Winter" in English...
Yeah thats not a problem in PT-BR, Winterfel is Winterfell, but Riverrun is Correrrio ("correr" run, "rio" river). Even when they did translated city names they tried their best to maintain a similar feeling.

What is happening right for a while now Dubs in games. Microsoft discovered that if they dub a game they can sell imported software as national and bypass some taxes. Its good cuz we get games cheaper but GODDAMN those dubs are aweful. The dubs have no idea what they are saying.
Wow, in Italian run is "correre" and "rio" is the name of a few rivers here, "Rio [something]".
When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! I'll invent a combustible lemon to burn your house down!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Aetherius wrote:Wow, in Italian run is "correre" and "rio" is the name of a few rivers here, "Rio [something]".
Well yeah, Spanish and Italian share a LOT of words, they're basically the same language anyway, right? It's just all just Latin being mingled over more than a millennium.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

There is a massive difference between translation and localization
Better is the enemy of Good
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Gilberreke wrote:
Aetherius wrote:Wow, in Italian run is "correre" and "rio" is the name of a few rivers here, "Rio [something]".
Well yeah, Spanish and Italian share a LOT of words, they're basically the same language anyway, right? It's just all just Latin being mingled over more than a millennium.
Its easier to understand Italian as a portuguese speaker then it is Spanish. Words are better enunciated and are closer to Latin.

Rio actually comes from the latin Rivus which also originated the word rival (the same in english). But yeah portuguese, italian and spanish are like pretty close. Enough that learning one can actually get in the way of learning another.

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Aetherius

Post by Aetherius »

Wafflewaffle wrote:
Gilberreke wrote:
Its easier to understand Italian as a portuguese speaker then it is Spanish. Words are better enunciated and are closer to Latin.

Rio actually comes from the latin Rivus which also originated the word rival (the same in english). But yeah portuguese, italian and spanish are like pretty close. Enough that learning one can actually get in the way of learning another.

Well, I didn't study Latin at School, because I chose computer science instead of It, but it is pretty interesting.
When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! I'll invent a combustible lemon to burn your house down!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Winter is coming
Aetherius

Post by Aetherius »

Gilberreke wrote:Winter is coming
Spoiler
Show
How to properly wedge a door
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Too soon man, way too soon :(
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Too soon man, way too soon :(

Hehe...I beg to differ. That was awesome :)
Aetherius

Post by Aetherius »

What about the final episode of the sixth season? I'm going to watch it this afternoon, but opinions are welcomed.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I just watched it. Was deeply satisfying overall, lots of plot development. Will spoiler detail since it just aired:
Spoiler
Show
I liked Cersei taking the Iron Throne in the end quite a bit and found myself wondering after Tomin's death who the hell was left in the line of succession. Loved the look Jamie gives Cersei at the end, as the irony of her ascending the throne by essentially pulling a smaller version of what he killed the Mad King for intending was amazing. Was a beautiful "AAAAAHHH!!!!" moment for him. Didn't much care for Arya pulling the face-changer bit, and felt the magical aspects of her training probably should have stayed back at the temple. That part was a bit too high fantasy for my taste, and IMO, it diminished what otherwise would have been a potent revenge scene. Regardless, I found it to be a very satisfying conclusion to the season.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

That last episode was perfect :)
Spoiler
Show
Is there actually anyone around to tell Jon Snow he's actually Jon Stark (or Targaryen or Baratheon depending on what they're going for)? Howland Reed?
devak

Post by devak »

Truly great episode. Winter has come. "well father promised, didn't he?""
Spoiler
Show
Can i take a moment to discuss how awesome the difference was between the two "coronations"?

John Snow is a bastard who's proclaimed King in the North by his men, who cheer for him.

Cersei takes power and nobody cheers or looks happy. A quick "long may she reign".

Also, Littlefinger isn't cheering for John, and Sansa notices.
Aetherius

Post by Aetherius »

I.. I.. I just saw it.. One word: astonishing.
I want 7th season NOW.
Spoiler
Show
Very sorry for Tommen and Margaery
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

@Gil Well Bran knows now (I dont think it takes a genius to figure out the guy who kidnapped Lianna is the father). Note that there is no mention of Howland Reed actually surviving the Tower of Joy in the show.

I love how we got this final boss' establishment shots at the end of the season. The guys we always knew were really bad are finally the antogonists. One sitting in the throne clearly a threat, the other skulking in the shadows, both equally dangerous.

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

You know you're dealing with master storytellers when you've seen an event coming months in advance, see it building up since the beginning of the episode, and it still leaves you satisfied when it happens. That entire sequence was beautifully filmed and you could tell it was crafted with passion.
devak wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Also, Littlefinger isn't cheering for John, and Sansa notices.
Spoiler
Show
It looked to me more like she was was put out by Jon usurping her postion as head of house Stark by popular decree, of people who did not stand with her and insulted her when she called, when she was the one who brought in the allies which made the victory possible
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

DaveYanakov wrote:
Spoiler
Show
It looked to me more like she was was put out by Jon usurping her postion as head of house Stark by popular decree, of people who did not stand with her and insulted her when she called, when she was the one who brought in the allies which made the victory possible
Spoiler
Show
I'm not sure. When the were talking on the wall she is the one telling him she considers him a Stark and that he should take the lord's room.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Kings Landing
Show
The Faith and the Crown are the pillars which hold up society.
The tallest buildings in Kings Landing are the Sept of Baelor and The Red Keep.
Quite a potent visual metaphor for Cersei clawing back power
The Faceless/Nobody
Show
I guess this is my pet peeve for the season. When we're first introduced to the faceless, we see Jaquen H'agar change his face with a slight of hand. Seeing Arya literally pulling a mask on and off kills all the magic and mystery of the Faceless. You or I could do that. Anyone could.
Literally wearing the face of another is some dark twisted magic. Its creepy and unnatural. And I love the theme that presents. I feel they've just missed a brilliant opportunity to roll with it and keep it dark and mysterious.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

So we know that Targaryens are pro incest, for reasons, and we know that Daario is a pretty boy warrior with long shaggy hair. I wonder if these things are foreshadowing. Quite possibly not, since George has shown a fondness for generating loose threads in order to cut them off rather than tie them up.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DaveYanakov wrote:So we know that Targaryens are pro incest, for reasons, and we know that Daario is a pretty boy warrior with long shaggy hair. I wonder if these things are foreshadowing. Quite possibly not, since George has shown a fondness for generating loose threads in order to cut them off rather than tie them up.
I'm looking forward to the encounter.

"Woah. I mean, woah."
"Hello Jon, I'm your aunt."
"Uhhhhh, sure."