Exposed spoilers will bring swift death. The Force Awakens

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Wafflewaffle

Re: Exposed spoilers will bring swift death. The Force Awake

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Spoiler
Show
I think the new cast is great. They are energetic and excited like the original was. The dialog is very... Avengers-like, quick quips and dinamic interruptions with a lot of "yeah thats totally what han solo/iron man would say".

Exposition was kept to a minimal which is really good, but the whole First Order is the old Empire, the Rebels are the Resistence even though there is a Republic (dont confuse it with the Old Republic you silly goose!), which makes the title Resistence weird since they are supported by a coalition of planets in power or whatever.

I dont really care about R2D2-machina, but the fact that Rey suddenly is a Jedi with mind tricks and domain over the force is really weird to me. She controls a stormtrooper but needs to be reminded by Kylo that the force exists when they are fighing in a totally "i know kung foo" moment. Also we just found the most important mofo in the whole universe, LETS SEND THE GIRL NO ONE SAW USING THE FORCE AND THE WOOKIE AFTER HIM!
But overhaul its pretty solid looking foward to Rogue one.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Wafflewaffle wrote:
Spoiler
Show
I think the new cast is great. They are energetic and excited like the original was. The dialog is very... Avengers-like, quick quips and dinamic interruptions with a lot of "yeah thats totally what han solo/iron man would say".

Exposition was kept to a minimal which is really good, but the whole First Order is the old Empire, the Rebels are the Resistence even though there is a Republic (dont confuse it with the Old Republic you silly goose!), which makes the title Resistence weird since they are supported by a coalition of planets in power or whatever.

I dont really care about R2D2-machina, but the fact that Rey suddenly is a Jedi with mind tricks and domain over the force is really weird to me. She controls a stormtrooper but needs to be reminded by Kylo that the force exists when they are fighing in a totally "i know kung foo" moment. Also we just found the most important mofo in the whole universe, LETS SEND THE GIRL NO ONE SAW USING THE FORCE AND THE WOOKIE AFTER HIM!
Spoiler
Show
I disagree with your last point. Rey and Finn were running from the base they blew up when Kylo caught up with them. As for why they were on the base in the first place, Rey was taken there and Finn had claimed knowledge of how to shut down the shields, so I think there is a very legitimate reason why both would be there. Han and Chewy I think were less justified, though at least they went there partly because of Kylo being his son (remember Leia saying "if you see our son, bring him home"?)

Also, she wasn't so much reminded that it exists as Kylo trying to convince her to come to the dark side (albeit in a rather shoddy way)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

dawnraider wrote:
Wafflewaffle wrote:
Spoiler
Show

Spoiler
Show
I disagree with your last point. Rey and Finn were running from the base they blew up when Kylo caught up with them. As for why they were on the base in the first place, Rey was taken there and Finn had claimed knowledge of how to shut down the shields, so I think there is a very legitimate reason why both would be there. Han and Chewy I think were less justified, though at least they went there partly because of Kylo being his son (remember Leia saying "if you see our son, bring him home"?)

Also, she wasn't so much reminded that it exists as Kylo trying to convince her to come to the dark side (albeit in a rather shoddy way)
Spoiler
Show
Han and Chewy also had to go to the base with the two younguns because they had to jump out of lightspeed past the planet shields right near the surface, the best pilots of the falcon would have to do that. And more hands with guns and thermal detonators is always nice.

And also waffle, Rey being a sudden jedi makes sense because if you have the ability to use the force, the only thing stopping you is belief. Luke didn't believe he could lift up his x-wing and yet he was fully capable of doing so just like yoda. Rey fully believed she could mindcontrol the stormtroper, trying 3 times even though never using the force prior, and succeeded because she believed she could.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Spoiler
Show
The thing that mad the mind control feel off was lack of foreshadowing. Unless I missed it there was not much to indicate where she came up with it. Maybe it was just lore or intuition but it was so spontaneous.
I did not even think of Rouge One! Should be very enjoyable if VII is anything to go by :)
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

dawnraider wrote:
Spoiler
Show

Spoiler
Show
Im sorry i think i wasnt clear enough. I have no problem with the Starkiller base and the Kylo fight, thats actually where the movie picked up for me. The fight scene was super awesome until Rey closed her eyes and went super sayan. What i found odd was that they sent her and Chewbacca after Luke at the end of the movie. The only people that saw her using the force was Kylo and Finn, the bad guy and the unconsious guy, and yet they sent her to get the literal "savior of all things", as opposed to his sister or any other general of the Resistence. They sent plot girl number 1, cuz she is plot girl number 1.

This is also me being picky with a movie that is an extremely competent love letter to a great franchise. I dont believe minor details like this reduce the overhaul quality of the movie. It just made me scratch my head.
Taleric wrote:
Spoiler
Show
The thing that mad the mind control feel off was lack of foreshadowing. Unless I missed it there was not much to indicate where she came up with it. Maybe it was just lore or intuition but it was so spontaneous.
Spoiler
Show
Yeah thats the reason it bothered me I think. It felt like Rey read the script on that one. If anyone, at any point of the movie said "Dude you gotta BELIEVE in the power of voodoo before voodoo works on ya!" I dont think I would have cared much.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Wafflewaffle wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Im sorry i think i wasnt clear enough. I have no problem with the Starkiller base and the Kylo fight, thats actually where the movie picked up for me. The fight scene was super awesome until Rey closed her eyes and went super sayan. What i found odd was that they sent her and Chewbacca after Luke at the end of the movie. The only people that saw her using the force was Kylo and Finn, the bad guy and the unconsious guy, and yet they sent her to get the literal "savior of all things", as opposed to his sister or any other general of the Resistence. They sent plot girl number 1, cuz she is plot girl number 1.

This is also me being picky with a movie that is an extremely competent love letter to a great franchise. I dont believe minor details like this reduce the overhaul quality of the movie. It just made me scratch my head.
Spoiler
Show
Leia wasn't able to stop Luke from leaving and her presence would have reminded her of his failure with Ben. Rey represented hope that not all is lost and a fresh start. There really wasn't anyone better. And let's not forget that lady making this decision is strong in the force. She would have been able to sense the awakening in Rey once they met face to face.
Wafflewaffle wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Yeah thats the reason it bothered me I think. It felt like Rey read the script on that one. If anyone, at any point of the movie said "Dude you gotta BELIEVE in the power of voodoo before voodoo works on ya!" I dont think I would have cared much.
Spoiler
Show
This is another one of those things I felt was covered under the heading of "It's all true." There have been stories and legends of jedi using the force to influence minds.
Better is the enemy of Good
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Just came back from the theater, quite enjoyed the film as a not such a big fan. Found it to be just the right mixture of pew pewing, laser stabbies and whooshing machines to keep me completely immersed through out the entirety of the show.
Spoiler
Show
Although in the battle between new jedi girl and that bloke's son, when she went all calm with sabers locked up it broke my immersion a bit. (whatever happened to kicking people in saber fights?)Absolutely enjoyed the ending where there were no words spoken but just an understanding of what was to happen.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Spoiler
Show
The reason he didn't attack while she was concentrating on the force is because he was trying to bring her over to his way. As for the kicking, it just wasn't her style. In her earlier fights with her staff she was all about throws to deal with someone inside her reach but even then she'd never fought someone wielding a lightsaber before. It would have been weird if she had instantly been able to account for them.
Better is the enemy of Good
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Spoiler
Show
Ah, makes sense, I guess that I just didn't learn that bloke's son's facial cues because of how short his actual face on screen time was.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

DaveYanakov wrote:
Wafflewaffle wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
This is another one of those things I felt was covered under the heading of "It's all true." There have been stories and legends of jedi using the force to influence minds.
Spoiler
Show
Also she had directly seen that the force could manipulate minds, as that was exactly what Kylo was trying to do to her. Granted, it wasn't the "These are not the droids you are looking for" but I agree with Dave on this one that she would've heard stories.
magikeh wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Absolutely enjoyed the ending where there were no words spoken but just an understanding of what was to happen.
Spoiler
Show
I totally agree, the ending really spoke quite a lot without saying anything.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Makes you wonder how far along they will move the story is VIII.
Spoiler
Show
Will she be a mid level Jedi with Kylo an equal opposite. I suppose the next movie will be a "strike back" to fit the template lol.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Well, finally got around to watching it...
Spoiler
Show
It was entertaining overall, but really did seem more like a remake of A New Hope. I'm not sure what it was about it, but it felt more like JJ Abram's fanfiction than a real sequel. Still, I almost suspect that the repetition of core plot points is specifically to make a point. I feel like they either made it so similar on purpose in order to sort of nail that whole endless cycle sort of theme, or even just to hook the older fans to get them invested in the next two films, which are supposedly a wild departure from the previous ones.

Also, while I wasn't particularly interested in the whole expanded universe canon, I am incredibly disappointed that Disney decided to just disregard all of that. That alone will likely cost them some of their biggest fans.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Spoiler
Show
Personally I liked the similarities to A New Hope. I think they were well done and purposefully and tastefully added. Just enough to provide a bit of nostalgia without being too over the top (though I could have done with maybe a couple less similarities).
Get the Deco Addon here!
devak

Post by devak »

dawnraider wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Personally I liked the similarities to A New Hope. I think they were well done and purposefully and tastefully added. Just enough to provide a bit of nostalgia without being too over the top (though I could have done with maybe a couple less similarities).
Spoiler
Show
I liked the similarities as well. Really, i don't think fans would've terribly appreciated something completely new and fresh. Last time Lucas tried to refresh the SW universe, the prequels happened. Now that the hunger for nostalgia has been sated, i expect 8 and 9 to be much more original
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, as I said near the start of the thread, would be awhile before I would have a chance to see this. Just went to see it tonight, so I was correct in that prediction ;)
Spoiler
Show
I liked it. First half I was like all "meh". Most of the design elements are obviously derivative, just being slight variant on the first 3 films. Was really lacking the "wow" new stuff that typified each of episodes IV-VI, like AT-ATs and Hoth, or Endor and speeder bikes, for example, instead opting to play it safe and just slightly modify what was already present in the franchise. But at the same time, in doing so they didn't really fuck anything up like episodes I-III, so at least that was good. What turned my "meh" into an "this is all right" though was Han's death. That really took balls on the part of the writer(s), and IMO, killing everyone's favorite character was really the only way to sell a new Vader like that. So all in all, I enjoyed it. If not for Han's death, I probably would have walked out with a "meh", but entertained by the special effects and such. With it, I walked out quite pleased with the whole experience, and looking forward to the next one.
And how the fuck I managed to stay spoiler free all this time is a testament both to my willpower in avoiding all things Star Wars over the past couple of months, and to just plain old luck :)