StarWars 1-3 fan theory about Jar Jar Binks

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: StarWars 1-3 fan theory about Jar Jar Binks

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:I saw that :). I don't quite agree with the experiment as being conclusive, but it had some interesting parts to it.
No, not at all conclusive, but highly entertaining regardless :)
devak

Post by devak »

Gilberreke wrote:You should really read the rest of the thread :p
i actually did.

I saw some clips of Jar Jar and as much as i'd like to believe he was a sith lord in order to have some redemption for his..well general existence, i just don't see it. It sounds much better on paper.

I do believe the Prequels at their core are not THAT bad. Anakin's impatience with the Jedi and Palpatine's machinations were cool in principle. It's just that Padme-Anakin had no chemistry whatsoever, other than the occasional extremely creepy Anakin face.

It lacked a main Sith villain to hate and lacked focus on who the actual enemy was.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

devak wrote:It lacked a main Sith villain to hate and lacked focus on who the actual enemy was.
I think we all agree that count Dooku is just a confusing mess of non-villain. Palpatine versus Windu was actually quite cool, but way too little, too late.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

This kind of thread is exactly why I keep coming back to this forum every once in a while!

Back to the matter though, I would say that I like the initial trilogy (keep in mind that I only really discovered it "recently", when they released that pack with the three original movies around when the prequels were made), even the furby Ewoks. Not as a person who watched it when it was first released and saw a breakthrough in the film industry, but as teenage guy who finally got what all that fuss was about. And, call it conformism if you want, but I don't recall liking the prequels in comparison and haven't even seen the 3rd in a theatre...

I would even go as far as saying that I don't recall a single sequence that I may have really enjoyed from them, maybe with the exception of the pod race from ep I. Whereas that scene on Jabba's boat, Luke's first real use of the force and him understanding the power it represents, that iconic Death Star garbage collector scene!, Han & Leia passion...

Consider this a "yes" in favour of the nuking.

Edit: Where are my manners? *coughs* Hey guys! I hope you're all well!

Edit the 2nd: Forgot my two cents on the initial topic... That Jar Jar theory would have made them most possibly far better. And I like the idea of a creator giving in to pressure, only to make something worse as a consequence. "It's your story ffs!"
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Rob

Post by Rob »

devak wrote:
Gilberreke wrote:You should really read the rest of the thread :p
i actually did.

I saw some clips of Jar Jar and as much as i'd like to believe he was a sith lord in order to have some redemption for his..well general existence, i just don't see it. It sounds much better on paper.

I do believe the Prequels at their core are not THAT bad. Anakin's impatience with the Jedi and Palpatine's machinations were cool in principle. It's just that Padme-Anakin had no chemistry whatsoever, other than the occasional extremely creepy Anakin face.

It lacked a main Sith villain to hate and lacked focus on who the actual enemy was.
This whole line of thinking, is based on the fact that the 2nd and 3rd movies were changed because of the rabid fan hate for Jar Jar. The prequels got such hatred because GL caved to the pressure of an audience thinking they knew what they wanted.

Greevus and and Dooku wouldn't have existed, or would have been minor villains, if Jar Jar's story arc was to resemble that of that fan theory. Those three movies would have flowed better, and the 'holes' wouldn't have been filled in with last minute villains. The enemy could have been Jar Jar, it makes sense, but again, fans thought they knew better.

It's a lot of 'What Ifs', but as I see it, the hatred for the trilogy started with a character no one understood, and then ended with the fans changing the way the last two movies should have played out.

I easily enjoy movies, and found nothing wrong with the prequels. Probably because my suspension of disbelief is HUGE, I'm not a fan boy, and the original movies didn't mold my childhood. I'm with Gil though, APM was a good movie and I'd rate it up there with the originals.

I think the hatred for Jar Jar is more akin to the blind hate for boybands. People hate a character/thing so strongly because the group you relate to hates or dislikes them and it just compounds as everyone tries to "I hate them more!" all over each other.
devak

Post by devak »

Rob wrote:This whole line of thinking, is based on the fact that the 2nd and 3rd movies were changed because of the rabid fan hate for Jar Jar. The prequels got such hatred because GL caved to the pressure of an audience thinking they knew what they wanted.
Is there any actual proof of this?

I don't hate jarjar because of boybands, to put it simply. I hate JarJar because:

*the way he talks is extremely annoying.
*He's a dumb sidekick (both literally and figuratively) that adds nothing to any scene whatsoever.
*his dumb antics ridicule things i'm supposed to take seriously, like droid armies. How can i believe a droid army invasion is a threat if a guy with an IQ of 20 can take down a ton of them?
*the revelation that he's a sith lord would be such a massive WTF that i don't think fans would like it anyway. Seeing those scenes in Phantom menace, it doesn't even remotely convey the idea that he's supposed to be a powerful sith lord. Darth Vader being Luke's dad is a bit weird because of one exchange in A New Hope. Darth Jar Jar would be a huge WTF moment because of dozens of "the son of skywalker must not live" equivalent moments.

Besides, there are only supposed to be two sith at the same time. What role would JarJar fulfill in this?

Lastly, i have a tolerance for BS in movies as well. Ewoks, eh. But there's so much wrong with the prequels that my tolerance for it ran out. I have no youth sentiments of the Original Trilogy either. I do think they're enjoyable movies, which the prequels are not. Phantom is way too slow, Attack had me wondering why i watched Phantom if it had no relevance and why Anakin turned from a sweet kid into a creep. Revenge made me wonder who ever let the Anakin actor on set, or why i should care for villains that die shortly after their introduction.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's a lot easier to take the droid army seriously if it took a kung fu master leading an entire race's best warriors into battle. And then still would have lost if the controls hadn't been wiped out.

I have to say I'm looking forward to the Belated Media 'What if Episode III was good' installment on Tuesday
Better is the enemy of Good
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

What do you guys think of all the fan edits that turn the prequel trilogy into a single movie?
devak

Post by devak »

Gilberreke wrote:What do you guys think of all the fan edits that turn the prequel trilogy into a single movie?
That exists?

I did just watch the anti-cheese edit of The Phantom Menace, which manages to significantly upgrade it from hate/cringe to "ok". It's still not a great movie, but it's significantly better.

Here's a brief listing of the edits:
Spoiler
Show
- Nemoidian and Gungan voices are re-vocalized with alien dialect and subtitled.
- Journey to Gungan underwater city removed
- Jar Jar is now a useful character instead of an annoying tag-along
- Nemoidians are much more devious and less cowardly
- Childish Battle Droid dialog removed
- Queen Amidala's voice is pitch-shifted back to her normal pitch. (Still could not remove her horrible British accent)
- Naboo pilot Ric Olié's endless plot exposition removed when appropriate
- Midichlorian references removed
- Anakin immaculate conception removed
- All fart and poop jokes removed
- Anakin is edited to be a more deliberate hero instead of an accidental one.
- Removed as many "Yippe!" and "Whoa!" and "Whee!" exclamations as possible.
- Removed the two headed pod race announcer
- Shortened the podrace intro scene and tightened the whole race for more tension
- Removed the entire sequence of trying to capture the Viceroy at the end.
I'm honestly not so sure if editing the prequels into one movie will do it's story justice. Even these edits leave the movie at 1 hour and 30 minutes (down from 2 hours). If i recall correctly the other movies had similar run times, and i'd expect their edits to be similar in length. I doubt you can cut over six hours of movie into one proper movie.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gilberreke wrote:What do you guys think of all the fan edits that turn the prequel trilogy into a single movie?
I watched one that made me pause to laugh out loud. They cut everything from APM except for a scene near the end of the movie.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Rob wrote:I watched one that made me pause to laugh out loud. They cut everything from APM except for a scene near the end of the movie.
Yeah, all of the single movie edits start with the Darth Maul fight at the end and just plain skip young Anakin. Not saying I enjoy them, just that it's a funny idea :)

Here's a few of the many many many edits that exist:

devak

Post by devak »

Just watched the Anti-cheese edit of Attack of the Clones. Still think it's the weakest name of all seven (The clones aren't really attacking anyone). It mostly has problems that editing doesn't easily fix, like a new badguy that in retrospect seems like the good guy at first, but then is the bad guy anyway. Really, it would've been infinitely better if Count Dooku had actually been the good guy.
Dooku reveals to Obi Wan that the Senate is under Darth Sidious' control and that they're fighting against the sith, which on first view seemed to be a clever lie, but once you rewatch it you'll know the truth. It would've been truly awesome if he was the good guy all along, but the Force Lighting and the red lightsaber give it all away.

The main battle being a face-off of robots made for war and clones bred for war makes it completely 100% irrelevant. Some cool designs, but otherwise i can't care.

Also, where Darth Maul had a great fight, Anakin/Obi Wan/Yoda vs Count Dooku was probably the most stupid fight ever. Mostly because:
*contrary to every book on fighting ever, Anakin charges in and is taken out in one hit.
*obi wan only gets minor lightsaber cuts but still is on the ground and taken out.
*Anakin fights with two lightsabers for all of five seconds (give or take a few seconds) before he's down to one again, so it's utterly pointless.
*Yoda and Count Dooku throwing rubble at eachother has got to be the lamest showoff of force powers, well in the history of the use of force powers i guess. Yoda can lift an X-wing but he can't lift a pile of rubble? A
*Yoda is the old wise Jedi Knight. Why he jumps and dodges like a tiny ball is beyond me. I suppose it's the whole force-powered jump stuff, but really it looks like Yoda is a few centuries too old for this shit.

Oh and now that i've seen The Force Awakens, lightsabers not giving off light looks really out-of-place. It irks me in every scene.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Speaking of fan edits, I found a good recap of the original trilogy
Better is the enemy of Good