Apple is at it again

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Gilberreke

Apple is at it again

Post by Gilberreke »

I present to you this webcomic from 2012:

For those who don't get it:
http://www.apple.com/smart-keyboard/

"The new Smart Keyboard completely reimagines this centuries‑old invention"
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Larmantine

Re: Apple is at it again

Post by Larmantine »

Microsoft mobile devices are seriously underrated. I have a Lumia 930, it has the greatest camera I've ever seen, however, I miss the customization that android had. It runs very smoothly though, never had any lags or bugs with it.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Well, the point is just, Microsoft pushes tablet technology, once it shows promise, Apple releases the iPad to receive all the credit of being innovators. Microsoft innovates by bringing tablets full circle (stylus with wacom technology and a keyboard), Apple releases the Apple Pen and Smart Keyboard and claims to have basically invented the latter. This comes after three years of Apple fans laughing at Surface owners for needing a keyboard.

It's funny how Apple seems to get away with stuff like that this. And that comic calling current events three years in advance is just so perfect in so many ways :)
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

On the topic of this iPen-thingy

Apple is a bit of a head scratcher for me post-Jobs. I was never an apple-fan, quite the opposite in fact, but I always admired their marketing. Now even a few apple "moderates" I know are turning away from them, they don't know how to package and sell their crap anymore
There were horses and a guy on fire and I stabbed a guy with a trident.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I am so damn glad you found this! Totally made my day.

Keyboard aside...
I love the concept of the surface, (I just happen to have higher priorities for my $, adult life and all) but I know microsoft has really struggled convincing the market that the surface has a place. I wasn't aware sales were approaching volumes apple would even be concerned about which is why I was very surprised to see the ipad pro. Odd choice considering as far as I know, microsoft has proven the market for such devices is rather small. Seems to me Apple would be better off competing with chromebooks for the school markets since they're getting beat in that space pretty bad.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Honestly their marketing has always made me cringe. I won't deny that I am sternly against everything with Apple to begin with, but this shit is ridiculous.

A rather appropriate video:
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

dawnraider wrote:Honestly their marketing has always made me cringe.
I mean "I always admired their marketing" as in it just works (worked). It was amazing in creating an image of the company, in the heads of gullible people, as the forefront of technological innovation despite simply not being "it". Apple under Jobs was the Edison that stole improved upon the ideas of many Teslas and was quite successful doing so, and all of this because of their marketing.
There were horses and a guy on fire and I stabbed a guy with a trident.
mc_isaac

Post by mc_isaac »

I have a Surface Pro, it's freaking awesome... I will never buy a laptop for myself again (Desktop for gaming, Surface for mobility and use). The iPad Pro is trying to compete with it but imo can't because the surface is a full fledged windows PC vs iOS which can only install apps...
But meh the public is so brainwashed by that bitten white Apple logo...
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

DerAlex wrote:
dawnraider wrote:Honestly their marketing has always made me cringe.
I mean "I always admired their marketing" as in it just works (worked). It was amazing in creating an image of the company, in the heads of gullible people, as the forefront of technological innovation despite simply not being "it". Apple under Jobs was the Edison that stole improved upon the ideas of many Teslas and was quite successful doing so, and all of this because of their marketing.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong in that, Apple definitely has success with the crowd they cater to. That was more a remark from myself who sees through their bullshit.

I must say, that metaphor is rather apt as well. As a side note, imo the world would be a much better place if Edison hadn't been such a money-craving asshole (basically the reason we can't have wireless AC right now)
mc_isaac wrote:I have a Surface Pro, it's freaking awesome... I will never buy a laptop for myself again (Desktop for gaming, Surface for mobility and use). The iPad Pro is trying to compete with it but imo can't because the surface is a full fledged windows PC vs iOS which can only install apps...
But meh the public is so brainwashed by that bitten white Apple logo...
This. A lot of my friends bought surface pro 3s for themselves, and they are definitely nice, though I personally would rather have a discreet graphics card. And really, the ipad pro is a bigger, slightly more powerful ipad with WACOM. I think the genius of the Surface Pro 3 is that, like you said, it takes a full desktop OS and puts it in a tablet form factor. The ipad pro, still running a mobile OS, simply can't compete with that.

The thing that bugs me the most about this whole thing though, is like Gil said, they act like they invented this. Such a revolution to put a keyboard as the cover, except Surface did it before them. Or that WACOM is a brand new tech, not something surface (among others) has implemented already.

EDIT: Although I guess the pressure sensitive part IS new (afaik)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Yeah no, WACOM comes with pressure sensitive stylusses since whenever.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, the Surface is also pressure sensitive, as is Cintiq Companion and any other tablets that run WACOM tech.
SpaceGuyR

Post by SpaceGuyR »

The 'draw with the side of the pencil'/angle-sensitive feature already existed for iPad as well.