Quackers Friendly Coop Server [Whitelisted]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
jorgebonafe

Re: Quackers Friendly Coop Server [Whitelisted]

Post by jorgebonafe »

My ign is jorgebonafe, like my name here.

My plugin is this one

By the way, I usually use craftguide, because I'm lazy and hate referring to the wiki :P It's client only. Is that allowed?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

jorgebonafe wrote:My ign is jorgebonafe, like my name here.

My plugin is this one

By the way, I usually use craftguide, because I'm lazy and hate referring to the wiki :P It's client only. Is that allowed?
Wooaahh sounds like an awesome mod jorge! Might just add that yes :)

Yeah its fine, I use CraftGuide too, nothing wrong with that! :D
I'm also thinking about adding the Deco addon as well, I'm all about my aesthetics :)

EDIT: Actually, scrap that Deco addon, looks like its now dead Jim!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yeah, I used to use it too. But it seems Yhetti doesn't have much time to keep it up to date lately... Real life sucks, huh? :P
mc_isaac

Post by mc_isaac »

I'm game I will be there. 11 UK time.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Hey... Tried to log in, it seems I'm not whitelisted yet.
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

jorgebonafe wrote:Hey... Tried to log in, it seems I'm not whitelisted yet.
Opps sorry forgot to whitelist ya! :P
We haven't started yet so you haven't missed anything - gonna start at 12am, so very shortly but feel free to come in and test your ping and stuff.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ah, 12, ok. Thanks :)
razar51

Post by razar51 »

Don't really want to start over whenever I decide to play BTW again but whatever. If you are restarting can you post the map to download?
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

razar51 wrote:Don't really want to start over whenever I decide to play BTW again but whatever. If you are restarting can you post the map to download?
Yeah, I'll be putting the server on a public DropBox account in the next couple of days so you can download away and still play on the world.

Last night was a pretty good success!! We spawned in the plains with, a forest to the north, extreme hills to the west and a beach to our south. To the east was an abandoned village (literally right next to spawn) so we made that our shelter. Currently we have quite a few chickens, growing mushrooms and a basic pumpkin farm going.

We've already had a few deaths, Issac was being abit too cocky on a night out and got himself killed by a spider, and I feel to my death in a very dramatic way after being chased by a creeper, missing a jump and falling to strat 3 - fun!

We've also had a few thunderstorms and one of them someone noticed outside, a super powered creeper which only happens when one is struck by lightning.
We did kinda wanna test what it was like as I've never seen them in action before, but sadly it despawned :(
kaspermwh

Post by kaspermwh »

Hi, are you still accepting for whitelist? :)
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

kaspermwh wrote:Hi, are you still accepting for whitelist? :)
Absolutly! :)

Just post a few details about yourself below: build style, how long you've been with BTW and your Minecraft ID, then I can look into your App!
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

What happened to the windmill? :O
kaspermwh

Post by kaspermwh »

GunGuyGunner wrote:
kaspermwh wrote:Hi, are you still accepting for whitelist? :)
Absolutly! :)

Just post a few details about yourself below: build style, how long you've been with BTW and your Minecraft ID, then I can look into your App!
Hi, my name is Kasper. Currently im studying to become a graphics designer. I'm 22 years and i live in the heart of Denmark.
Ive been playing BTW since before the age of steel :) the earliest i remember was the update that added Plate Armor.
My build style is nothing impresive, i try to keep my buildings good looking but i value functionality above all else.
Minecraft ID: kmwh

Album to my house on the PK-420 server: http://imgur.com/PjZuMkL,yLNgXw4,cOxcsxV,E4KLgQh
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

GunGuyGunner wrote:What happened to the windmill? :O
Seems like a lightning strike under the platform, couldn't be put out by rain so it spread.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

kaspermwh wrote:Album to my house on the PK-420 server: http://imgur.com/PjZuMkL,yLNgXw4,cOxcsxV,E4KLgQh
Ahhh I didn't realize you were one of the email applicants, whitelsited you. Cool buildings :)
Gunnerman21 wrote:Seems like a lightning strike under the platform, couldn't be put out by rain so it spread.
Fura told me that the hopper wasn't quite connected to the windmill which means it wasn't powered, which also meant that a Ghast spawned killing not only him but the windmill.
Fun times :D
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

Can I just remind everybody AGAIN that communal supplies is for communal projects ONLY!!!

You're welcome to take half a stack of cobble from communal to start your place off and THATS IT!!
Sames goes for the food.

Quite a few peeps had spent hours stocking up communal, filling up the food, cobble supply etc, they turn their backs and its gone. If you have no food whilst building up your new place then making a stable food supply should be the first thing you do, don't just take from communal! Also I've had reports of all the valuables going missing such as the diamond and iron tools. I do NOT want people taking diamond and iron to use in their own bases, again they are to be used for communal only!

If this keeps happening then we're gonna have to start banning people again!
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Good day.
Think I could get whitelisted (Name: Rawny)? I'm not going to interfere with things and probably won't build anything, I just like looking at (and often learning from) other people's builds. I like "OooOOOooo"ing and "Ahhhhhh"ing and studying BTW stuff.

I WILL be stealing food and thus a "No" is perfectly acceptable.

ty
Last edited by Rawny on Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

"I just like looking (and often learning from) other people's builds. [...] I WILL be stealing food"

A tourist! You can wwoof at my base if you're whitelisted :)
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

So, my computer is shit and I would like to try playing on a server to see if I get better performance. I'm a highly technical player, and my ultimate goal in BTW is to try to automate as much as possible, which I would be more then happy to put as much of that as everyone feels comfortable with in the communal base. I also quite enjoy aesthetics, though I'm not as good at it as a lot of other people I've seen on this forum.

In particular, a few plans I'd really like to accomplish;

- A working clock tower, using turntables, that uses light blocks to display the progress of the in-game day/night cycle as well as the moon phase. This will have to be placed at spawn to not be desynchronized, and in and of itself shouldn't be particularly complex.

- Depending on how much automation is allowed at spawn, I was also hoping to use the above clock tower as the central timing mechanism for any other form of automation that requires timing, such as automated plant and animal farms, as well as specific sorting and processing systems. And also, of course, things like an indicator lamp in the mines, and maybe automatic on/off for pathing lights. I'm a bit concerned on/off pathing lights might cause an excessive spike of lag during on/off times, though, plus it's purely aesthetic, so it may not be a good idea.

My in-game name is Abculatter_2
Last edited by abculatter_2 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

Rawny wrote:Good day. Think I could get whitelisted (Name: Rawny)? I WILL be stealing food.
ty
This is all I read from your post - absolutely no way.
Haha thanks for makin' me laugh, come on in :P
abculatter_2 wrote: My in-game name is Abculatter_2
Cool sounds good! :) We normally do communal projects together as a group so feel free to come on in and make your own place with these automation's, show us and we can all get together and make em. Of course on the other hand we could arrange for you to give us a public lecture teaching us all of this automation if your such the pro, can't wait! :)
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

So, I was surveying the spawn chunks just now, and discovered that there is a large strip of undeveloped land that is also about half of the spawn chunks in the server. Mainly because of the clock tower day/night syncing limitations, as well as the fact that automation works best when it's a relatively small throughput that runs constantly, I was hoping to put my base somewhere within the spawn chunks. This will probably primarily consist of a mob grinder, and a variety of fully and semi automated farms branching off of that mob grinder, and I do not mind at all making it as a mostly communal structure. The only thing I can think of that I would really want as off-limits would be a small, hidden storehouse for a personal resource store, with everything else being open to the public. (In fact, I would encourage people to use the stuff, since that means more resources to play with when I come on.) It would also, of course, contain the clock tower.

Additionally, while surveying the chunks, I noticed that there is a partially-completed arena right next to the undeveloped strip, and upon seeing it I was struck with an idea that would probably be rather difficult and take a long time to do but, if it can be accomplished, would be very cool. It also may require some redesigning of the arena, and obviously it should be a communal project. This idea is to attach a darkroom mob spawner to the arena, in such a way that the mobs spawned are sorted into individual types, accumulated in rooms above/below the arena (preferably in not-too-ridiculous amounts) and have a central control room that allows a player to release mobs from these rooms into the arena floor. Theoretically, it should be possible, though it would likely take a while and a decent amount of resources to do. Also, metering the mobs so that you can release a predictable amount would probably require detector blocks, which is of course steel tech level.
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

Soooo I think we're all at the point now that we need Gold and Iron for our machines and tools so now will be a good time to gather and take on an abandoned mineshaft as a cooperative group!

Looking to go tomorrow night (24th Sept) around 9pm UK time. Anybody game?
We'll all meet up at communal with our tools and stuff and then head off from there. Ideally it'll be good for what we find, 20% possibly goes to communal and the rest is shared amongst each other.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

So, after talking to a few people, it seems not everyone is aware of what a spawn chunk is, nor its significance. So, I'll go ahead and explain here for everyone's reference;
Spoiler
Show
- The game will always keep all chunks within a 128-block square radius loaded, presumably at all times. I have never tested things in multiplayer, so I'm not actually sure if they remain loaded while no one is on the server, but they most likely do and they definite remain loaded when someone is on the server. EDIT: Spawn chunks unload when nobody is on a server. This, unfortunately, means that my clock tower idea is impossible without the display desyncing any time there is nobody on for more then 60 seconds.

- The two outer-most chunks of this radius don't actually do anything, and are apparently there for some technical reason involving the cache.

- All chunks within this, however, will process everything that does not require a player's presence. Things that require players are plant growth, leaf decay, and hostile mob spawning. Everything else, such as redstone, machines, and any mob that does not despawn when a player leaves an area works as normal.

You can find more detailed info on spawn chunks here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn_chunk
The only thing that seems to be incorrect on that page when playing BTW is that it seems that the 60 second cool down for spawn chunk unloading was either removed, or extended to such a degree that it did not come up in testing.
This is why I would very much like to put my automation in spawn chunks; basically, any form of automation you put in spawn chunks (so long as it does not rely on events only processed in the presence of a player) will work for as long as the server is on, making full use of its automation abilities. Additionally, it's notable that it is, as far as I am aware, impossible to chunkload any other area without a player presence. It also doesn't help that I hate building things outside spawn, as you have to build with chunk boundaries in mind constantly, to avoid bugs if the machine is only partially-loaded...

Also, I actually prefer making bases that are open to the public, and intended for public use. Besides the fact that it means a player is present to activate the mob grinder and plant farms more often, thus accumulating more resources, I also like being helpful and working with others. Also, I should note that by, again, the only thing I really want to be definitively 'mine' is a small personal storehouse for resources, mainly so that I don't have to worry about someone stealing EVERYTHING at communal. Most of 'my' resources will likely be open for public use.

I also figured I might as well go into a bit more detail for automation systems that I would like to make at spawn. Note that these don't necessarily have to all go in one centralized location. Also, if anyone wants to help make these, feel free to say so, either here or in-game. I can't guarentee that I will be on if you want to define a time for being logged in together and building/planning, but if you want to make events out of any of these things feel free to plan them. I can provide advice and such as well as help with planning before or after the fact, as well as help build if I'm on.
Spoiler
Show
- A mob grinder, though this is already planned
- Automated kibble production, which will include a sugarcane farm
- Automated pig farm, being fed primarily kibble but also acting as an overflow for potatoes, carrots, and wheat.
- Automated potato, carrot, wheat, hemp, melon, and maybe pumpkin farms to utilize any excess bonemeal from kibble production
- Automated chicken farm, likely with automated shut-off when there is an excess of feathers and raw chicken
- Automated cow farm, with automated shut-off when there is a excess of leather and, if we get wolves, tanned leather
- Semi-auto, or fully auto hearty stew production. If semi-auto, it would be intended purely for player-feeding, and thus fully automating it won't really be necessary. However, if we get wolves at spawn, then I would like to set this up as a back-up/suppliment for feeding them.
- If we get wolves at spawn, I would like to set up a semi-auto chicken soup maker for feeding them. Unfortunately, bowls will have to be occasionally replenished, but this can be off-set with a very, very large storage for them, so that refilling is only necessary occasionally. (something along the lines of 'every few days' or 'once a week')
- Automated tallow production, for any pork and beef not used to make hearty stew
- Once we reach the end, I would then like to expand this for automated blasting oil production, which will probably include automated netherrack grinding and soul bottling
- Sorting system for products acquired while mining, specifically cobblestone, ore, dirt, gravel, redstone, lapis, coal, and maybe diamonds and tools. This will probably require end tech to fully sort everything, but it can be build in stages. This system, in particular, I would not care much if it's not at spawn, but I would like to have a public mine for it to be attached to
- Either an elevator or a chest cart to bring items up from the branch mine to the sorting system

Also, once we reach the end, the inevitable mob grinder we build there can have its output shipped to spawn for sorting and processing, so that all of our resources and processing can be in one centralized, always-loaded area. This will, however, require turning off spawn protection in the server configs, since the end portal is the only way out of the end, and will always put items at the world's spawn location. (The place a compass points to without a beacon around) Systems that can be made branching off of this output;

- Automated steel, of course, which will require either manual or automated input of iron from a mob grinder
- Automated gunpowder, which will require nitre from a mob grinder and coal dust either from mining or from a tree farm
- Automated bloodwood farms, one for planks/souls/bark/saplings, and another for coal dust
- Automated turntables, primarily for urns but it will probably also be a good idea to make a system for planters, and possibly vases
- Possibly ender pearl compression
- Possibly a crucible for whitestone smoothing
I'm interested if anyone else has any thoughts or opinions on these plans.
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

I like the idea of automation buildings at communal for everybody to use. So long as they don't drain too much performance and they are either built easy on the eyes or underground. I'm not a huge fan of "naked" redstone/mechanical constructs floating in the air. For the most part the plans you mention are more ambitious than what i have built so far in BTW, but i would be interested in helping some of those projects come to life.

@group mining tonight, I will be there
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

Server updated to V4.A Dingo! :)