So long, Mr. Iwata

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Gears

So long, Mr. Iwata

Post by Gears »

Most of you have probably heard the news, but on July 11th, 2015, the Nintendo president Satoru Iwata passed away.

It's not often that a celebrity death gets to me, but this one hits relatively close to home due to how big an impact Iwata has on the gaming community. The dude was a genius developer and producer, and was one of the few higher-ups in the Triple-A industry who still believed in making games fun.

I know that Nintendo hasn't had a good reputation as of late, but I think that this topic warranted posting.
Satoru Iwata, GDC 2005 wrote:On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Wafflewaffle

Re: So long, Mr. Iwata

Post by Wafflewaffle »

I was reading on his history with Nintendo, becouse i can never remember the name of japonese developers, the dude started as a programmer and climbed his way to president of NIntendo. Worked there for more then 30 years! Thats a feat when most people my age dont expect to work for 5 in the same company. Its sad to see an icon go so young.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

He seemed like a good guy that actually cared about the people in his company. I might not have agreed with everything that happened when he was president, but his heart was always in the right place, and he helped to provide us with so many awesome games.
Wafflewaffle wrote:Thats a feat when most people my age dont expect to work for 5 in the same company. Its sad to see an icon go so young.
Just had my 8 year mark myself, I'm 30 ^_^
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

About being 30 years in the same company. As far as I know it's pretey standard. It's not very common leaving one company for another and companies only hire people that just finished their university studies.