Lego...minecraft?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Stormweaver

Lego...minecraft?

Post by Stormweaver »

So apparently LEGO has hopped onto the whole procedurally generated destructible world game thing (complete with early access for the extra authenticity)

Nerdcubed vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaQNzLngMKM
Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/332310/

Personally I'm just wondering what took them so long :3
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
sargunv
Site Admin

Re: Lego...minecraft?

Post by sargunv »

Currently it seems like it's just exploration + freebuild. It'll be interesting to see if they include some actual gameplay or make it moddable. If they add enough functional Lego Technic parts then I'm sold.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

sargunster wrote:Currently it seems like it's just exploration + freebuild. It'll be interesting to see if they include some actual gameplay or make it moddable. If they add enough functional Lego Technic parts then I'm sold.
Some of the user reviews on Steam say it's moddable. Not sure if that's accurate mind you.

Watching the trailer, I find some of the mass-build tools (giant spheres, player spraying out blocks like from a hose, terrain morphing tools and such) to be a pretty strong indication that this is intended to be purely "creative" rather than having any solid gameplay to it.

Still, the presentation is superb and I'm pretty certain this has mass-success written all over it.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

FlowerChild wrote:Some of the user reviews on Steam say it's moddable. Not sure if that's accurate mind you.
As far as I know, it supports importing models from Lego Digital Designer, but not actual mods. I could be wrong, though.

EDIT: source: http://steamcommunity.com/app/332310/di ... 672780265/
FlowerChild wrote:Watching the trailer, I find some of the mass-build tools (giant spheres, player spraying out blocks like from a hose, terrain morphing tools and such) to be a pretty strong indication that this is intended to be purely "creative" rather than having any solid gameplay to it.
Yep, though a developer did say that he's going to bring up "survival" gameplay with the rest of the team. I don't have high hopes though.

Even if it stays purely creative, I could see myself having a ton of fun with it if they implement some kind of systems that do stuff, rather than just static worlds and structures. Some of the most fun I've had with Lego was with the Mindstorms kits, and Minecraft's redstone and many of the BTW systems scratch the same itch.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

sargunster wrote: Yep, though a developer did say that he's going to bring up "survival" gameplay with the rest of the team. I don't have high hopes though.
Well, I'm not even sure I'd argue that survival gameplay would be right for that franchise, despite what a huge proponent I am for it in general. I think if any license suits the "freeform creativity" thing, it's probably Lego, and there's obviously a huge market for that kind of game. I'm not entirely certain spraying blocks and making big spheres instantly like that isn't going too far mind you, as I think one of the fundamental aspects which makes building with Lego more interesting than building with just plain wood blocks or what have you, is the inherent design constraints in having to deal with the way the blocks fit together and working with the limited ones at your disposal bit by bit until you form what you want to, but that's kindof a different thing than survival play.

I'm also not certain if those tools I'm talking about are part of the primary play mode or some kind of world builder level-editing type thing, as other bits seem to work around some form of constraints like that big tunneling machine, which wouldn't really make sense if you could just alter everything at will anyways.

Anyways, not saying it will be a game I'd be interested in playing, but I could appreciate them not wanting to go the survival route with that particular brand.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

If they end up adding technic parts - and they actually work - I can see me spending a lot of time revisiting my childhood. Not going to cross my fingers though.

That said, at thier current pricepoint, it still seems like a good deal just for a simple virtual lego set - and it doesn't hurt that it's really pretty.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: and it doesn't hurt that it's really pretty.
Very much so. Like I said above, the presentation is absolutely stellar, at least if the trailer is any indication of the in-game experience.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I'll be honest, from what I've seen of it (NerdCubed's video and the trailer), it didn't impress me. That's not to say that I don't think it'll succeed (there's too much interest in an officially licensed game like this), but I'm fairly burnt out on the whole concept of a voxel-based world (even when the voxels are actually Lego bricks).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Everything is Awesome!
devak

Post by devak »

FaceFoiled wrote:Everything is Awesome!
everything's cool when you're part of a team!