Have you guys heard of Terasology?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Yhetti

Have you guys heard of Terasology?

Post by Yhetti »

I am just downloading it as we speak. It's supposed to be like minecraft, but with a much better game engine, so it should be interesting. Also it appears that it is open source :D

Kinda wish it wasn't developed in java though.

http://terasology.org/
Norton

Re: Have you guys heard of Terasology?

Post by Norton »

The first video on the Gameplay page looks like a good intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3qItsrpceY

The rest of them made me twitch, but the trailer from ~14 months ago (the latest) has some interesting bits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpa2aiadwE8

I'm bad for snap judgements of game engines (and other tools), but I don't think the biggest problem there is the programming language...
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Downloaded it and played for a few seconds. It seems interesting. The computer I'm on is really too low end for the game so I will have to try later. I like that it is open source and it looks like they are trying to make modding a core part of the game. Still, it doesn't seem ready for prime time just yet. I may look into contributing to the programming if I can find something within my skills.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

jackatthekilns wrote:Downloaded it and played for a few seconds. It seems interesting. The computer I'm on is really too low end for the game so I will have to try later. I like that it is open source and it looks like they are trying to make modding a core part of the game. Still, it doesn't seem ready for prime time just yet. I may look into contributing to the programming if I can find something within my skills.
Just yeah, like everything you said, I agree. I might try to contribute to it myself too.

Based on some of the videos out there, it feels a lot like the minecraft community, where people just want a bunch of stuff and the developers give it to them because they don't know better, however, being open source totally remedys that for me though, because it means people like FC, can make their own game out of it, like Better than Wolves.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

like minecraft, but with a much better game engine
I seriously cringe when I see statements like this from devs, because it usually means the opposite is true by a landslide..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I tested it out. The engine is very solid. It preforms much nicer than minecraft does, the visual effects/graphics are better in every single way. So yeah, the engine is a very big improvement, it even has a very interesting module loader, not that I am a fan of mods/dicing up games in to packages.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I tried the game out, and it doesn't really seem to really have that much to it.
MoRmEnGiL wrote:
I seriously cringe when I see statements like this from devs, because it usually means the opposite is true by a landslide..
This is very true. Honestly they overdid the visual effects so much that it is difficult to play. And i disagree majorly that it is any sort of improvement over MC. MC runs absolutely flawlessly on my computer, even with conquest, which has ridiculous ctm and effects. I was having huge framerate drops the entire time while playing it, even after fiddling around with the settings, further adding to the unplayability.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:
Oh yeah, major agreement. To add to that: I hate it when engine developers forget that engine features by themselves mean nothing without good artists. From what I've seen, the block textures are cringe-worthy (oh god, the tree leaves don't tile at all) and the item textures are just laughably bad.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx