Trying to Share BTW (and failing)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DiamondArms

Trying to Share BTW (and failing)

Post by DiamondArms »

Have you ever tried to introduce BTW to a friend or family member, only for them to not like it, which makes you sad and drains the fun out of playing BTW?

I've kind of just gone through that and it really burns me out.

Even when you're not playing, BTW can be hard sometimes.
Miss_Kat

Re: Trying to Share BTW (and failing)

Post by Miss_Kat »

I've tried sharing BTW with my fiancé (banjo & kazooie guy in my avatar.) He's not into playing minecraft in general, not like I am, so it was an uphill battle. In the end, for whatever reason, he couldn't get over the hunger system. He kept insisting that "it's unreasonable that you have to eat a WHOLE COW every few hours!" which is just the strangest (and incorrect-est) thing to get hung up on, but oh well.

didn't drain the fun out of BTW, though. I don't feel all that great a need to play with other people, so it didn't matter to me all that much that he didn't like it.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

I tried to get my ex into it ages ago. She died once and that was that, haha. I think at the end of the day it's not for everyone. Some people get it, some people don't.

It has a seriously difficult learning curve which is hard to get past. My friends and I started playing it years ago when it wasn't so challenging, so we've been through quite a lot of the dev cycle and have slowly adapted to every update. Whereas I think now if you tried to play the latest release having never tried BTW before you'd seriously struggle.

There's not many mods out there that have so radically altered the mechanics of vMC. Most of them tend to build on top of them. So BTW is a real shock when you first play it.

It never really bummed me out though, would've been nice if she's liked it, but if I wanted to date someone who had all the same likes as me I'd just date me.
mc_isaac

Post by mc_isaac »

I've had so much fun playing BTW for the last few years that I've always nagged my friends to join. I've only had 2 people actually play with me and enjoy it. However my core group of "gamer friends" have decided to give it a go some time soon. It's funny it just took one of them to say yes for the rest of them to decide to try it also.

I figure they will hate it and I will have tons of fun trying to keep the group alive. Should make for a good recording.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

I have a friend that really likes it, but is too lazy to play as it requires a lot of effort and time past the surviving phase.

It's probably also because he is not used to very hard games and sometimes cheats out of harsh situations. Some people are just not for BTW.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Its super hard to convince Dark Souls fans to play Minecraft. The other way around is also true. I tried many times to convert some of my friends to play by themselves, but the fastest way to ease someone into it its also the most complex. Setting a server is a pain and you end up losing people before they even get to play the game.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

I actually converted a bunch of friends to BTW some time ago but now i'm also failing :(
i'm always trying to play something with my flatmate but he is the "this is hard, i want creative mode" kinda guy xD
What buggs me is that he's a crazy hardcore MMO (guildwars2, diablo3) player but he can't stand 30 minutes of BTW because it's too hardcore
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

murillokb wrote: What buggs me is that he's a crazy hardcore MMO (guildwars2, diablo3) player but he can't stand 30 minutes of BTW because it's too hardcore
Not too hard to understand, I think. MMOs have a large economy, allowing people to get what they want/need with money/farming time. Minecraft on the other hand, requires a lot of input, with limited resources in a given area. MMOs tend to be "go here, kill things until you have all you need, else wait for respawning". Minecraft is closer to "explore unknown territory fraught with jumpscares".

Learning curve is a real issue I suppose. Can't win them all, but there's something about it that makes you want to try, which makes failure all the more painful.

I'll be taking a break from BTW until I have more energy to do things again. My love for BTW still lives, but the flesh and will is weak.
mc_isaac

Post by mc_isaac »

I find that once I get a gamer friend actually trying to play BTW it usually sticks. My friends don't mind hard, they just all think that minecraft is virtual legos, which is what I thought before I really started playing it.

I'm hoping that they will all have fun playing when we try it and it will stick with enough of them that the others keep coming back, at least until we conquer the early game.