Minecraft Augmented Reality

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Minecraft Augmented Reality

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote: There's a group that's released plans for a 3D-printed single-shot pistol and have also printed receivers for AR-15s and magazines for AR-15s and AK-47s. Granted, they took the files down after a request by the US DoD, but that's not going to stop people from uploading it to places like Pirate Bay.
Yeah, I've been following stuff like that as well, as much like with the technology being discussed here, it wasn't long after I heard about 3D printers that my mind turned to the dark side of how they'll potentially be used in the future :)

The magazine thing really isn't that big a deal as for something like an AR-15 they're just plastic spring-loaded boxes (or metal ones in the case of the AK...at least the ones I've handled in the past, modern variants may be different, and while I'm not all that familiar with the AR-15 itself I've handled M-16s a lot in the past, so same diff), and you can even do without one in a pinch.

If the tech advances to the point where it becomes relatively easy to produce the harder to get parts like the bolts, or rifled barrels, that's a whole other ball of wax, and essentially throws all forms of gun control out the window as they'll basically be untraceable and probably disposable as well.

Have no fear though! We can always just put up more cameras and more heavily arm the civilian police force to counter the resulting threat! ;)
Spoiler
Show
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It has always been possible for anyone with basic knowledge of machining to make a firearm with a quick trip to the hardware store. It may not be particularly good but making them at home is nothing new
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:It has always been possible for anyone with basic knowledge of machining to make a firearm with a quick trip to the hardware store. It may not be particularly good but making them at home is nothing new
What is new though is the barrier to entry in terms of the skill involved, and potentially the time that would be required to print one out in a pinch.

Also, as you yourself point out there, there's a big difference between a Saturday Night Special and an M-16 in terms of overall quality and potential for destruction.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Hopefully we'll be able to print homes and buildings with that new Swedish soft armor based on ceramic pellets before the technology can make a reliable automatic weapon
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:Hopefully we'll be able to print homes and buildings with that new Swedish soft armor based on ceramic pellets before the technology can make a reliable automatic weapon
Lol! That's the spirit! :)

I love the application of the historical approach to this in that the solution for better weapons is to develop better walls ;)

And here, because this conversation inspired me to use the term "Saturday Night Special" for the first time in many years, and thus immediately put the song into my head, have some Lynyrd Skynyrd to groove to:
Spoiler
Show
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think we should think smaller with our wall. Maybe we'll all be having nano-tech ordinary looking bulletproof clothing...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I think we should think smaller with our wall. Maybe we'll all be having nano-tech ordinary looking bulletproof clothing...
Don't make me get all "nanites running rampant and splitting all the water in our atmosphere into hydrogen and oxygen" on you ;)

Remember when my first version of the stone-termite style sliverfish had the bug in it where they started devouring overworld structures right before your eyes? Same thing :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I love nanites! Nanites are my friends and they love me. The ones in my brain told me so.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I always feared the idea of nanites in your body. When the government or some corporation gains control and makes you pay to live. An Oxygen tax for example. Can't afford it? We'll just turn off your ability to absorb oxygen. And your children can't escape it, nanites will be passed down from mother to fetus. O.O I NO WANT THAT!
ion

Post by ion »

*opens a tinfoil hats shop*
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

I've never worried about nanites because we can achieve everything we wanted nanites for with meta materials.

By the way, if you're afraid of the hololens because the government may use it to control your perceptions, don't worry. The military is developing the invisibility cloak (light bending meta material), so they won't need hololens at all. ;D
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3rbouMIx9E

For anyone confused by the above:

(spoilers for the metal gear series)
Spoiler
Show
"La Li Lu Le Lo" was a term automatically substituted for "Patriots." Government and military officials and others under the Patriots' direct control were manipulated by nanomachines inside their bodies so that whenever they tried to say the word "Patriots," their mouths would actually form the words "La Li Lu Le Lo" to keep the information secret.
http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/The_Patriots
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
tedium

Post by tedium »

no need to be alarmed with the idea of being enslaved... once they get self-replicating nanites they won't have any need for slaves ;)
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.