Besieged

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
RobinHood3

Besieged

Post by RobinHood3 »

This game is flat out awesome. It's nifty idea with huge potential. I know a lot of people here are against buying things early alpha but the sheer maniacal mechanical-loving creative destructive mind in me absolutely loves this game.
The best part? It's only $7!

Basically, it's a game where you build various mechanical contraptions to destroy buildings and kill sheep and things. Has a short game length (only a few levels), but it shines in the area of user creativity/giving people the tools to create cool things (just like BTW!).

Some of my favorite reviews/screencaps:

"Tried to make a trebuchet that fired a bomb. Made a bomb which fired a trebuchet. 11/10."

"It's like Kerbal Space Program, except when something blows up, it's (usually) intentional."

"The potential is great and all I can make are catapults that fall over sideways and set themselves on fire :-\"

GIFs (from the creative to the clever to the hilarious):
http://i.imgur.com/xnnbhyq.webm

http://i.imgur.com/eQpiRQk.gifv

http://imgur.com/gallery/DZanF

http://a.pomf.se/nliomi.webm <---- This thing is absolutely genius - to fit the entire packed machine in the build cube so it unpacks itself and then fires. Granted it missed by a mile, but still clever.

Been reviewed to play like KSP and Garry's Mod - the potential is absolutely limitless here. Been fun for me the last while to get on and play for a few hours at a time, testing different contraptions and generally having a good time. It's so much fun and I figured it fit this community well :)
devak

Re: Besieged

Post by devak »

On my radar but ill wait for the steam version
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Is it "Beseige" or "Beseiged"?

There's a Steam game with the first title that seems to fit your description (and matches your screenshots too).
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

@FC: I've seen a screenshot with the review he's quoting. It's Besiege.

@Devak: it IS on Steam.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah steam has that one pretty constantly in my recommended games. It looks interesting but I'm pretty wary of early access games now...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:@FC: I've seen a screenshot with the review he's quoting. It's Besiege.
K, thanks for the verification. I suspect this is one I'll have to pick up as soon as I can manage it then, as it's related to far too many aspects of my various projects :)

Will write up my impressions once I do.
RobinHood3

Post by RobinHood3 »

Yeah, it's Besiege. Great, now I feel stupid >.>

I knew a lot of you guys are wary of early alpha, haha. I usually don't like anything in alpha, but I figured for only $7 and the potentially limitless play value it was worth it for me - Just figured I'd share with the community :) I'd love to hear others' thoughts if they've played it!
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Oh. Building death machines with exploding tendencies while aiming for maximum destruction?
Sounds very tempting. I'll wait for the eldritch review just to be on the safe side, but I'm getting my credit card ready.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Definitely hold off on the credit card. Cool physics. Nice presentation. Horrible performance issues if you build anything vaguely complex. Very limited gameplay in terms of the levels currently available (not finished them yet but I'm breezing through them alarmingly quickly).

Very neat little experiment, shows signs of becoming something interesting. Not there yet, and IMO won't ever be a Minecraft, KSP, or Infinifactory as the underlying gameplay elements are far simpler than any of those.

From what I can see it's largely limited to "build vehicle...smash stuff", with occasional "build vehicle...pickup and deliver stuff", and taking place within rather small arena-style levels, so there isn't really any room there from what I can see for automation or more complex builds with it.

I was particularly disappointed on the performance front, like with this:
Spoiler
Show
The game turned into a slide show, and my vehicle there isn't really that complex, only having the saws and 4 wheels as moving parts, so it seemed to be the basic armor plating I put on top to deflect arrows that caused major performance issues.

I also suspect that the gameplay mechanics are overly simplified given the narrow focus. For example, wheels or saws power themselves, with no need for any kind of power system or transmission. I could see the game being much more interesting if they had gone super detailed on how you have to put the vehicles together.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FlowerChild wrote: I was particularly disappointed on the performance front, like with this:

-image-

The game turned into a slide show, and my vehicle there isn't really that complex, only having the saws and 4 wheels as moving parts, so it seemed to be the basic armor plating I put on top to deflect arrows that caused major performance issues.
Darn. I was afraid technical issues would bring the game down. The modest system requirements and lack of bug related reviews made me hopeful, but it might just be too soon to pick up this one. On the gameplay side, seems pretty much like I expected (both simplification and limited mission content).

Alright, back in the wallet goes the credit card (for now!). Thanks for sharing your impressions. :)
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

logorouge wrote:Alright, back in the wallet goes the credit card (for now!). Thanks for sharing your impressions. :)
No worries man. I just finished the levels that are in there right now, and Steam tells me I've only played a couple of hours, so yeah, now that I've done so, I'd be even more emphatic about my previous "wait and see" :)

There's definitely *something* there, but I think I was right above that they should have gotten a bit more detailed with the mechanics. You can build really cool catapults for example (I probably spent the most time fiddling with a catapult design because it was really fun to play with), but then when it comes to building wheeled vehicles there's a definite "that's it?" aspect to it due to it being so simple.

Haven't tried building a flying vehicle yet, so I might go back and try that just for kicks.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I had a lot of fun for a few hours with this game. Price-wise, it's about right I guess. Building catapults is tons of fun. I built one that launches stuff miles away :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:I had a lot of fun for a few hours with this game. Price-wise, it's about right I guess. Building catapults is tons of fun. I built one that launches stuff miles away :D
If you're into "creative mode" or pure sandbox play then yes, I think this can be very entertaining. However, I really tend not to be, and evaluate games almost entirely from the perspective of "survival mode" or whatever the equivalent is within a particular game.

In many cases I try to avoid creative mode in early access games so as not to "spoil" the experience once more content is added later. I was doing this back with KSP, and I'm also largely doing the same thing here, and right now there's just very little actual gameplay involved.