Passive mobs broke?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Damion Rayne

Passive mobs broke?

Post by Damion Rayne »

I have absolutely NOTHING passive spawing, I think I've seen maybe 10 animals over the last few days...

Anyone else got this?
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Brethern

Re: Passive mobs broke?

Post by Brethern »

Known bug that notch caused with 1.8
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I thought it was an intentional change to prepare for persistent animals.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Brethern wrote:Known bug that notch caused with 1.8
what exactly is the bug, do you have a link to where it's listed as known?
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

What I can tell about this, is I haven't got any passive mob spawn, when I was on an island, in the middle of an ocean biome (I think it was (the island) part of the ocean biome)
I think the mob spawns are bound to the biomes. Thats why no animals on islands, but the surrounding ocean stuffed with squids.

Once I spawned in a plain biome (not sure about the correct name, but relatively flat, and full with tall grass) and there were a ton of sheeps, and relatively enough cows (I could get the sufficient amout of leather for the full armor set in the first day), but no other animals at all (only met with a chicken and some pigs in the pineforest next to the plain)

Now I spawned in an biome with trees like in the mars (willow-like cause of the vines), but with no water (no lakes), and it was full of chickens (first day just ended, and I already have 8 eggs (hopefully enough to start my chicken farm))

I'm really not sure about this (haven't read anything about it at all), but as I experienced, I think the passive mob spawn is biome-bound now.
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
Speltz

Post by Speltz »

Yeah, I haven't read up on the new passive mob spawning rules, but the area around my base is now pretty scarce. When I went a'splorin, though, found big herds of one type of animal at a time. Say, a dozen sheep or 20 cows, but when one herd is present, there doesn't seem to be any other animal type around. Chickens are an exception though, usually sprinkled around with the herds. This is just my observations, though. Don't know if anyone else is finding the same thing.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

They aren't broken, they are changed. The change was that passive mobs no longer despawn when you get far enough away, and in consequence of this they spawn far less frequently.

The wiki has the rules for how and when they spawn, but you only get them every 10 chunks or so, so islands 1 chunk or smaller only get a 1 in 10 chance to spawn mobs upon world generation, this is tied to your world seed. The rules for newly spawning passive mobs don't appear to have been fully figured out by players yet though.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

The system is completely changed, from what ive heard from etho especially, it that passive mobs will spawn on any block and only on new loaded chucks, so there is no way to farm them
M!C

Post by M!C »

walker_boh_65 wrote:[...], so there is no way to farm them
...yet.

This is what I hate about 1.8 ... it's only half an update with most features implemented incomplete as well.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

M!C wrote:
...yet.

This is what I hate about 1.8 ... it's only half an update with most features implemented incomplete as well.
I don't see how a traditional passive mob grinder wouldn't keep working. Normally these are built in oceans/desserts anyway so animals wouldn't spawn until you got lit up grass. So when they do spawn for the first time and then die they will respawn, the problem is that if there is a lone spot somewhere with grass you missed mobs will eventually end up congregated there, but then you remove that grass and continue on. Why wouldn't this work?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Mason11987 wrote:
M!C wrote:
...yet.

I don't see how a traditional passive mob grinder wouldn't keep working. Normally these are built in oceans/desserts anyway so animals wouldn't spawn until you got lit up grass. So when they do spawn for the first time and then die they will respawn, the problem is that if there is a lone spot somewhere with grass you missed mobs will eventually end up congregated there, but then you remove that grass and continue on. Why wouldn't this work?
The passive mob spawn rate is very low now, and unrelated to block type (they can spawn in trees or on stone or sand now), light level is also not a hugely deciding factor (was removed in 1.7 I think). However there maybe some biome related rules, there seem to be mostly sheep in the mountains and mostly pigs/chickens in the swamps in my experience.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

This is a very very bad idea, and was implemented poorly.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Damion Rayne wrote:This is a very very bad idea, and was implemented poorly.
It is a very good idea in my mind, but they should've done it properly from the start rather than limiting spawns in the first patch and adding the breeding in the next.. that is just, well, half-assed.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Mason11987 wrote:
M!C wrote:
...yet.

I tested mine and it's definitely broken. It's an underwater lit up farm with no grass within sight distance and used to pull in tons of drops :(

You can find it at the end of the minecart track on my map.
http://www.mediafire.com/?bw31jf435m08sib
(possibly it's unlit in the above save, I convert it sometimes and havn't played that map in a while)
M!C

Post by M!C »

Tekei wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote:This is a very very bad idea, and was implemented poorly.
It is a very good idea in my mind, but they should've done it properly from the start rather than limiting spawns in the first patch and adding the breeding in the next.. that is just, well, half-assed.
That's exactly what I was referring to. ;)
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Tekei wrote: It is a very good idea in my mind, but they should've done it properly from the start rather than limiting spawns in the first patch and adding the breeding in the next.. that is just, well, half-assed.
I wouldn't say that. It was just implemented backwards. The idea behind changing mob spawns was for a more dynamic player experience. Players could keep mobs in there base as pets , create a breading program or something beyond imagination without the worry of having them despawn. That would produce the problem of too many mobs on the map which would cause computers come to a crawl as the current spawn code would keep pumping out MOBS even when the old ones didn't disappear on chunks unloads or randomly in front of the players.. The fix would be to adjust the spawn code and give the Player some control over when new mobs were spawned.

In classic Mojang fashion they bit off more then they could chew, and instead of pushing back the release date (would have caused more bitching then a bridezilla marathon) they released half finished code. Unfortunately they did the easy(?) code first and limited the spawn rate before the bits that allow users to manipulate when MOBs would spawn. Which in all likelihood would have created even more of a flustercluck then what we have now.

So I guess what I am saying is , better half-assed then no ass.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

the_fodder wrote:
Tekei wrote: It is a very good idea in my mind, but they should've done it properly from the start rather than limiting spawns in the first patch and adding the breeding in the next.. that is just, well, half-assed.
I wouldn't say that. It was just implemented backwards. The idea behind changing mob spawns was for a more dynamic player experience. Players could keep mobs in there base as pets , create a breading program or something beyond imagination without the worry of having them despawn. That would produce the problem of too many mobs on the map which would cause computers come to a crawl as the current spawn code would keep pumping out MOBS even when the old ones didn't disappear on chunks unloads or randomly in front of the players.. The fix would be to adjust the spawn code and give the Player some control over when new mobs were spawned.

In classic Mojang fashion they bit off more then they could chew, and instead of pushing back the release date (would have caused more bitching then a bridezilla marathon) they released half finished code. Unfortunately they did the easy(?) code first and limited the spawn rate before the bits that allow users to manipulate when MOBs would spawn. Which in all likelihood would have created even more of a flustercluck then what we have now.

So I guess what I am saying is , better half-assed then no ass.
My point is, no one expected the mob-spawning to change (at least not until breeding is released) so leaving it out until 1.9 wouldn't have done anything but good. It's as simple as not including that part of the code into the 1.8 release.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I would rather wait one or two more months to have a complete feature than 1 early update, and another 1 month later to finish the job.
But I'm not the typical member of MC. Most of the players are under 18, and can't wait for their new toy. (It doens't mean that everybody under 18 is like that, just the big majority.)

On the other hand, they should have learned already that announcing a release date, and talking about stuff before you actually made them, is a terrible idea. It's just giving some ammo to the trolls.
Urian

Post by Urian »

We're getting an update tomorrow, hopefully passive mob spawning/behaviour will be adressed in it.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Jeb also said we'd get to see the new nether structures in the update which is confusing as they weren't supposed to be in till 1.9, but they surely can't be done with 1.9 already, there is too much to add, and it means there was no point in releasing 1.8 when they did.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

I did some playing around iwth the passive mobs, and thought people might find the results interesting:

First, everything on the minecraft wiki seems to apply. This includes the ability for passive mobs to respawn, just very slowly.

BUT.

As far as i can tell, the passive mob limit still exists. This, when combined with the mass spawning in newly loaded chunks, means that eventually passive mob respawns grind to a halt, until it's possible for them to spawn again. The passive mob re-spawns are also _very_ slow.

(For the record, i tested this by taking my current world, putting steve in the nether, then using MCedit to delete all entities in the entire gameworld while the game was on passive. i then saved this, reloaded minecraft, went back into the world, waited a couple of minutes, and then used MCedit to check for new entites, and teleport steve to them - sure enough, i found newly spawned cows and pigs in one area)

Hopefully, that's helpful!
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

This is sort of off topic, but...
Does anyone know how animal breeding will work, as I haven't seen any information on it other than it may exist, and there may be baby animals. Extension of that -> will animal breeding be affected by the passive mob limit of 16?
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

AmishGoat wrote:This is sort of off topic, but...
Does anyone know how animal breeding will work, as I haven't seen any information on it other than it may exist, and there may be baby animals. Extension of that -> will animal breeding be affected by the passive mob limit of 16?
No one knows yet. The last I saw of it was a tweet from Jeb prior to pre-1.8 saying that Notch and Jeb hadn't decided how they wanted to implement it yet.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Tekei wrote:
My point is, no one expected the mob-spawning to change (at least not until breeding is released) so leaving it out until 1.9 wouldn't have done anything but good. It's as simple as not including that part of the code into the 1.8 release.

Guessing removing half finished code not like taking the last paragraph off of an email to send it later, but to be clear I agree with you and just stating what I think happened. All that work for naught.

Battosay I was going comment about what you said but then I read your second sentence.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.