Turntables on Chunk boundary

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
garrak_x86

Turntables on Chunk boundary

Post by garrak_x86 »

Turntable "loses" a redstone torch it is rotating some times, after thinking a little bit about it, i noticed it's directly on a chunk boundary.
The entity is not removed, it spawns back sometimes. Couldn't test if a server restart fixes it.

To give you the idea of the setup, overall cramped stuff:
Spoiler
Show
And the turntable directly sitting on the boundary:
Spoiler
Show
Given one can break redstone builds with pistons if they span over multiple chunks, my best guess it's a considered a minor issue (thus not placing it into bug-forum).
Since this involves a single feature-block though, i wanted to put some kind of report out there anyway.
Marasambala

Re: Turntables on Chunk boundary

Post by Marasambala »

FC was kind enough to give us 'distance to chunk boundary' info on the debug screen without giving away coordinates or other information that may detract from his design intent.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

Marasambala wrote:FC was kind enough to give us 'distance to chunk boundary' info on the debug screen without giving away coordinates or other information that may detract from his design intent.
You sure? I can see it in my second screen and that's the whole purpose of it :)

So yeah, i know about it, but i didn't except turntables to be affected in such a way. My guess would be, it's fixable but maybe not worth it.
A single piston wouldn't break in that case either.
Might have fit into general discussion better? I seriously can't decide.
One thing i'm sure of, it's a flaw you might want to be aware of when using turntables as timers (which is kind of their second purpose in the mod?).
Pure redstone timers won't break, minecarts won't, only wanky piston contraptions would as far i can tell.

By breaking, i mean they do not recover, not working because of out-of-range is expected behaviour anyways. It's also hard to reproduce, i had that timer running days of ingame time before the issue first popped up.

//P.S. by the way, it would be interesting to me if someone could confirm this beeing a boundary issue or if there is something else i'm missing. I'll find out eventually in the case this drives me nuts ;)
Last edited by garrak_x86 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

From 4.20 update...

-Added Hardcore Info as a new mod feature. This removes any information in the debug menu that can be used to gain an in-game advantage, while leaving in place any info that would be used for tweaking performance and such. It also adds a new display for how close the player is to a chunk boundary, since this can be used to workaround bugs in redstone circuits due to how block updates work in vanilla, while not providing cheaty info about which direction the player is facing. Long story short: no more in-game GPS :)

There were several vanilla bugs that this was directed towards. Redstone torch on turntable was one of them. There was a lot of discussion around this at the time. You'll have to refine some forum searches to find the pertenant info.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

Thanks for confiriming this is a already discovered boundary issue then :)