Metin2

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
TheGreatIntelligence

Metin2

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

Metin2 is a rather old Oriental-themed MMORPG originally created by Ymir Entertainment in Korea and Published in the UK by Gameforge. I've been playing it off and on for about seven years now and it still holds up well. The story concerns the appearance of the Metin Stones, strange space rocks that fell from the sky and started affecting the monsters in strange ways, and spreading plague across the land. The Metin Stones caused the single kingdom to split into three smaller kingdoms, Chunjo, Jinno and Shinsoo, who are now at war for a vaguely unspecified reason.
If you want to check it out, the website is Metin2.co.uk. My main character is named Tsinashu (A female Shaman) in the Chunjo Region. Let me know here and I'll look for you ingame!
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
abculatter_2

Re: Metin2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Story is nice and all, but what is the gameplay like?
Roflpofl

Post by Roflpofl »

I remember playing this game way back in the days. After some early progress it became just way to grindy for me. Something along the lines of get 5 random drops with a drop-chance of about 1%, but don't quote me on that(7 years ago). Because of that i never really got into the game.

But since you seem to be enjoying it, maybe i was doing it wrong?
TheGreatIntelligence

The earlyish game around level 20-30 can be a bit grindy, especially if you're a weaker class like Shaman, but once you get past that hurdle it speeds up quite nicely. The actual combat is somewhat WoW esque. At level 5 you choose one of two class-specific skill trees, pump points into whatever skills you want, then play your hotkeys like a Fisher-Price piano. Once you hit level 30 you unlock fishing and mining. Fishing gets you HP and MP restoring fish along with other random bit that can be sold in the player market, which takes the form of player run private shops clustered around the town square. Mining is used to get items that give you temporary stat buffs when put on your items and also as a source of money. I'm only level 30 right now but I know at level 80 or 90 you unlock the Dragon Tower, which is similar to the WoW group dungeons.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Interesting the way mining and fishing are not till midgame. Wonder if that is to prevent farming accounts that crash the markets.
TheGreatIntelligence

Taleric wrote:Interesting the way mining and fishing are not till midgame. Wonder if that is to prevent farming accounts that crash the markets.
*laughs own ass off*
Hooooo... nooooo... Someone out there has created an entire program that powerlevels farm accounts to level 30 then converts them to fish bot that automatically fish up clams which sell for close to 2 million gold apiece and then they sell the gold online.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

seems interesting, downloading it right now ^.^ Least I have warning that shaman is going to be grindy xD I like the support types/healer types best.
Rawr :D
TheGreatIntelligence

myrkana wrote:seems interesting, downloading it right now ^.^ Least I have warning that shaman is going to be grindy xD I like the support types/healer types best.
Yea, I picked the offensive based Dragon Force path with has a big-ass AOE attack, a couple of mid-long range attacks and a few defensive buffs. The Healing Force shaman gets a bunch of long-range lightning based attacks and swiftness and attack buffs as well as a healing spell.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:Snip.
Lol of course! One day I aspire to play the system as hard as these RMT people.

Worst exploitive thing I ever did was town kill people in Diablo II with a buddy on hardcore by shooting/dodging PvP arrows at each other on the borded. The horror :P
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Gonna just throw in my opinion here.

As most asian f2p games its a grind fest....period, no change in that no matter what, it just feels less grindy if you play a certain class with mass AOE or power attacks, but in choosing those classes you become less of a value in your preferred endgame content be it pve or pvp your gonna lack at one if not both (eg play WoW leveling as an arcane mage and choosing to not change specs forces you into a pvp roll due to its single target damage making it useless for AOE in pve).

Drop rates are terribad to the point your better off buying things from bots than farming or crafting yourself....thus adding to the grind either for the drops or the money.

Last I tried to play about a year ago balance issues were out of this world and I have a friend on facebook complaining they are still there as of last week.....

Overall its a great game but poor choices in turning up the grind dial to 20 along with the balance issues forcing everyone into the same builds kinda kills the overall fun unless you like the cookie cutter playstyle with a high potential for excessive grinding.
TheGreatIntelligence

DreamsofFury wrote:-Snippity Snip-
The drop rates in Metin2 aren't too bad. Destroying a Metin Stone can get you some quite valuable weapons and items and same with the boss monsters. One of the other things you unlock at level 30 is Dragon Stone Alchemy. Which lets you evolve your character in a more specific direction. But in order to get started, you need to get a bunch of Dragon Stone Shards, which drop fairly infrequently but they still drop enough for it not to become a grindfest, since you can get all you need just from monsters on normal quests and grinding.