Don't Starve with reign of giants

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Sarudak
Site Admin

Don't Starve with reign of giants

Post by Sarudak »

So I've been getting to play don't starve with the reign of giants DLC and it's been a lot of fun. I really like all the new additions. Especially the new characters. But the biggest thing that has made the game fun again for me is that I realized that you can actually do stuff during the night. Before when I played I always just stayed by the campfire at night and waited for day. It was the most boring thing ever but for some reason I had an epiphany that torches are actually really cheap and you can totally do all kinds of stuff at night (anything that doesn't require a tool) has anyone ever had that kind of experience where for a long time they just played a game wrong based on some wrong assumptions?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Don't Starve with reign of giants

Post by FlowerChild »

Strange that, as I don't use torches at night much in Don't Starve (other than to collect Beefalo wool while they're sleeping or what have you), but have never lacked things to do at night either.

I'm usually chopping trees, or tending my farms, or cooking up meals, or what have you. I generally set up my bases so that I always have stuff to do at night, and reserve the tasks I can accomplish at night for only performing during that time. This leaves me with more time during the day to explore or whatever, then I take care of "chores" at night.

Basically the same thing I do in BTW :)

Rather than having down time, I often find myself rushing to complete stuff as daylight approaches.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The winter nights are what lock me down. Recently I have been getting a miners cap ASAP and lantern a bit after that. The full moons were a neat addition reguarding night also.

On the assumption part I play most games to get that epiphany rush, constantly retooling. If I have found the best practices for most things I am near done enjoying. I am sure this is most people though.

RoG has really challenged my prior methods. I am debating now on setting a survival date goal. On the move, using the teleportato I can world hop indefinitely. It is sticking to one world that is really tough now. The incredible damage the giants do to bases I have yet to figure a strategy.

I just got rocked on my latest world thinking I had given deerclops the slip and he pathed back to my respawn hub, that plus hounds and night led to GG.

Next try I am going to put every vital structure just inside a sink hole. Will have to experiment with food behavior in fridges down there. At the very least I can escape to some basic materials, heal up and collect myself before battle.

With really no end but eventual death I feel like I need a date or item goal to end things or I could easily world hop to unlock everything.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Reign Of Giants appears to have been officially released:

I have mixed feelings about it. I played the pre-release not so long ago and all it really motivated me to do was go back to the original to try and finally complete adventure mode (never had, and still haven't).

Unless major improvements were made since..."meh". Don't really find it brought much to the game, and honestly find the new summer brush fire mechanic to just be a nuisance.
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

A bit of a necro but Klei has just confirmed that they are developing a multiplayer version of Don't Starve called Don't Starve Together due by this summer.
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/top ... mmer-2014/
It seems like it is completely separate from the main game in terms of gameplay (meaning that the new multiplayer balance does not affect the singleplayer) and if you already have Don't Starve you will get Don't Starve Together for free.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Puzzled wrote: if you already have Don't Starve you will get Don't Starve Together for free.

Whoa. Good Guy Klei? That is awfully nice of them!
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said