Transporting villagers (spoilers)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jorgebonafe

Transporting villagers (spoilers)

Post by jorgebonafe »

So, I found two villages, after looking for sooooo long (still no carrots or potatoes though :'( ) and found most villagers... All but the librarian. The way the trades work, I realized it would be hell to level them up, because that would mean endlees trips from my main base to the villages... Its far even through the nether... To make a rail road to transport them would be unthinkable for a long time... What to do...

And then I thought... "So villagers turn into wiches in the nether... But there are no baby wiches... I wonder if baby villagers are immune to nether infection..." So i decided to try. I got some diamonds, bred two villagers and brought only the child with me to the nether. Went all the way, got it out to the other side before he grew up, and stored it safely away from my other animals... And, it worked... he grew old and did not get infected. I guess children have stronger immune systems :P

I really, really hope this is intended, because otherwise making trades would be hell....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Taleric

Re: Transporting villagers (spoilers)

Post by Taleric »

Very interesting good thinking! I had just accepted I would have to build full bases on site. Sounds like that might be a controversial method but you did pay out the breeding cost and you have limited time/safety to make the move back home.
Last edited by Taleric on Mon May 26, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Will fix :)

No, that wasn't intended. Villagers are meant to be mostly non-transportable without severe measures.

The other option you didn't consider of course is setting up a new base where your villagers are rather than running back and forth.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

:'(
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote: The other option you didn't consider of course is setting up a new base where your villagers are rather than running back and forth.
This was actually my first idea. I made a chest filled with a full stack back up of every crop/plant/tree so I could build a new base if I decided to.

I love the way that this is encouraged too. It's like we have to take over half the world just to get to the end, having more than one big main base is something that you can't find in minecraft, and it makes the game much more interesting.

For my case, I am thinking I will bring the close-by farmers in abandoned villages back to my main house and then go make a second base in an area where I found two villages close-by each other.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote: I love the way that this is encouraged too.
Yeah, that was one of my goals with all these villager changes: to get the player to further spread out into the world rather than just bringing them back home.

From the LP's I've been watching, so far I'm quite happy with how it seems to be playing out. People seem to be exploring a lot more, building new stuff in new locations, and generally getting a lot more gameplay out of it.

So stop complaining Jorge, and enjoy having something new to do ;)
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Exactly what happened on my server and in our LP. It's a huge distance back to our main base and it just makes more sense to build a route through the nether to the new site.

It would have likely been months before my friends and I spread out to establish new bases without this incentive, so it worked out exactly as you intended as far as I can tell. It's been quite the adventure as well.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Yeah, I really appreciate the incentive to create new bases. For half a year I've been tired of my existing main base and wanted to try out new designs in new settings, but lacked the motivation for such a major undertaking. Now with these villagers I'm finally doing it!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Well... Yeah, I guess looking from that perspective...
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Same thing with Gil, all the others and I on the streaming Server. We already had a small outpost base outside the hcspawn radius, just to make finding carrots and potatoes (which we still havnt found..) and villages and temples easier. Then with the new trading system, we extended our outpost into a base with the basic machines so that we have to make less trips back to home. Also now the villagers have a neat prison to stay in :D
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
ion

Post by ion »

what i did in my world is once i got the diamond pick and smelting capabilities i just got out map the surroundings until i got a village. at this moment from my base i start digging a tunnel towards it at lava lakes level. i get some diamonds and redstone in doing so. and after i transport the villagers from their place to my base for processing.
Fret

Post by Fret »

I'm not at the villager stage yet, but I too have thought about a great deal. What to do with the villagers once you get them. But building an extra base does indeed seem like the best solution. So far building up my secondary base has been a lot of fun, so I have no problems with building a third base.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

ion wrote:what i did in my world is once i got the diamond pick and smelting capabilities i just got out map the surroundings until i got a village. at this moment from my base i start digging a tunnel towards it at lava lakes level. i get some diamonds and redstone in doing so. and after i transport the villagers from their place to my base for processing.
I like this idea, I just don't know how in hell you had the focus to do that.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

ahahah i have try this method on my let's play :)

I miss 2 times my villagers sometimes child after a few day they transforms into a witch...
So i transport villagers again faster and after i make a child before they come a witch ^^

look at 30:00
Spoiler
Show
ion

Post by ion »

Yhetti wrote:
ion wrote:what i did in my world is once i got the diamond pick and smelting capabilities i just got out map the surroundings until i got a village. at this moment from my base i start digging a tunnel towards it at lava lakes level. i get some diamonds and redstone in doing so. and after i transport the villagers from their place to my base for processing.
I like this idea, I just don't know how in hell you had the focus to do that.
well maps don't work underground, that's why sometimes i just make some shafts towards the surface to see where i am on the map. i hate dying and for me tunneling is the faster and safer way to bring villagers to the spawn point.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

ion wrote:...
I'll probably map the whole thing on the surface and then go home and start tunneling. I have one or two other people who will probably help too. And I can build a rail maybe part of the way. Should be fun.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

Once I have my primary base set up, I actually like to have a second base, near a village if possible. It allows me to start a project that is more for aesthetics with functionality, rather than base design that is primarily set up early on based on survival needs (for instance, starting off in a fully furnished blacksmith's house - just because I like blacksmithing - rather than a hole in the ground). In other words, transporting villagers doesn't seem quite as fun to me as building a functional base near/around the village, imo.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Well, either you build a new base, or bases, or a massive overworld transportation system, a subway or an el. Either way, you're building something big.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

The crazy guy I pay with, hmanipsalam on this forum, just dug a near bedrock tunnel 4k blocks long to our base...
Ended up with quite a lot of diamonds (~a stack) and other stuff. Took him a loooong time though.

But hey, he's crazy regarding those things...
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Gormador wrote:The crazy guy I pay with, hmanipsalam on this forum, just dug a near bedrock tunnel 4k blocks long to our base...
Ended up with quite a lot of diamonds (~a stack) and other stuff. Took him a loooong time though.

I have a crazy friend who I am trying to convince to join my server just for this purpose. But we have started our tunnel, we are like almost 1/6 of the way there (probably a little under 4k) and we have gotten a little over a stack of diamonds, and three or four stacks of redstone blocks. I have managed to build a railway that goes way out there, but I am low on iron.
hmanipsalam

Post by hmanipsalam »

Gormador wrote:The crazy guy I pay with, hmanipsalam on this forum, just dug a near bedrock tunnel 4k blocks long to our base...

No I'm not, and I'll probably dig a second one from another village.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I've got to ask: what is it you guys are trying to avoid in taking such extreme measures? Or to put it another way:

"For the love of gods and all that is holy....WHY???!!!!" :)

Digging 4 Km tunnels is certainly not a gameplay dynamic I want to be encouraging. I think building new bases in a game whose strengths largely lay in that area is a good thing, but it saddens to see it mutating into this and perhaps if I understood the motivation behind it better I could address it.
hmanipsalam

Post by hmanipsalam »

I do this mainly because I know I'll get many diamonds from digging near lava, and damn, I want all these shiny beacons so badly.
Without the ressources thing I'll go for a second base.
But we will need to relocate to farm witches so a village next to a swamp would be perfect.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I'm also contemplating moving villagers because of the massive degree of investment, both aesthetic and practical regarding automation i have achieved with my main base. The thought of having to replicate the construction of all the automation seems more daunting than a 30 day journey pushing testificates around.

If i had just started a new game then my incentives would probably be different as i would be racing for a priest asap and might have invested significant time at some remote village.
Nikkentobi

Post by Nikkentobi »

FlowerChild wrote:I've got to ask: what is it you guys are trying to avoid in taking such extreme measures? Or to put it another way:

"For the love of gods and all that is holy....WHY???!!!!" :)

Digging 4 Km tunnels is certainly not a gameplay dynamic I want to be encouraging. I think building new bases in a game whose strengths largely lay in that area is a good thing, but it saddens to see it mutating into this and perhaps if I understood the motivation behind it better I could address it.
Somehow this line really gets to me, even though i can't really put it into words adequately, i think this is the reason why you, FC, is so good at what you're doing. You try to look for the underlying issue. I tip my hat to you, FC. Thank you for all the work you've poured into BTW.