Steel Shears

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Mrchaim

Steel Shears

Post by Mrchaim »

As it says on the topic title - any chance of getting a Steel version of shears?

It seems like it'd be a useful tool given the addition of vines and long grass as shearable items, not to mention the fact that you can now use leaves as asthetic blocks (Thanks to user-placed leaves not decaying). We also know that Mooshrooms (Mushroom-Covered cow things) are coming in 1.9, and per notch will be shearable.

As it is, it feels like Iron shears break absurdly fast for any dedicated useage, making them rather hard to justify using for anything but shearing sheep. They're also bizzarely slow on vines, which is a bit annoying if you're trying to clean those off somewhere to replant elsewhere.
BinoAl

Re: Steel Shears

Post by BinoAl »

Mrchaim wrote:We also know that Mooshrooms (Mushroom-Covered cow things) are coming in 1.9, and per notch will be shearable.
Sorry to get a bit off-topic, but I'm not 100% sure if that was a serious addition. I think Notch was just joking around a bit, rather than adding a serious feature.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

There really isn't any evidence to support them being just a joke.
SCIENCE!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

not really sure if this is needed since i think you can smelt down shears into 2 iron ingots, if not, well then that is the real suggestion
Urian

Post by Urian »

I guess the point of them would be that they have a higher durability, while normal shears can be reforged they do also tend to wear out quite fast.

As for the mushroom cow, look at the other textures in the image - there are several weird things (e.g. black grass). I'm guessing it's a screenshot of a bug Notch noticed when coding and tweeted as a joke.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

This hardly seems like a bug to me.
(It's definitely not a hard work to make a red cow like that, and I don't know how hard it'd be to put those shrooms on it's back, but I don't think, that it worths a joke. (however, I'd be more happy, if it'd be just a joke)).

About the steel shears? well, I don't know if we really need it. You can easily get a stack of iron by exploreing a new cave, and if it's smeltable, then I really don't need it. (I can't speak in the name of others)

Whan I can think about it is maybe more efficiency on shearing sheeps. (25%-40% more wool? o.<)
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Urian wrote:As for the mushroom cow, look at the other textures in the image - there are several weird things (e.g. black grass). I'm guessing it's a screenshot of a bug Notch noticed when coding and tweeted as a joke.
Nope this is just something Notch would add, that screenshot is him working on the new mushroom biome, where the huge mushrooms will spawn instead of trees, so it looks like a new soil texture as well, you can see regular dirt in the background too. I understand why you can shear cows, since they grow mushrooms from their back, but it seems quite redundant with the huge availability of mushrooms now.

On topic, I do think this is reasonable since you can craft steel versions of all the other tools, and there are a lot more things to wear out shears now (spiderwebs too).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gftweek wrote: On topic, I do think this is reasonable since you can craft steel versions of all the other tools, and there are a lot more things to wear out shears now (spiderwebs too).
Yes, but you can't make other versions of sheers like you can with other tools. No diamond sheers or stone for example. They aren't like regular tools in that regard.

I *might* be willing to put in steel sheers at some point if I can find reasonable uses for them, but at present, I still find iron sheers to be a ridiculously underused component of the game to begin with, so I'm not sure I'm really down with expanding upon them even further.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I'm Not saying I support this But you were looking for uses so maybe.

* Shears can be used to harvest hemp But give a 2X multiplier to what you get.
* The steel Shears could Cut the top part of the plant off But allow you to place it Like taking a cutting. This would speed up making of you're first hemp farm.
* Shears could be used to cut out the heart of cattle or chickens so we can sacrifice it to our only god Flower Child XD lol... or maybe for some kind of alchemy.
Last edited by BigShinyToys on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

BigShinyToys wrote: * The steel Shears could Cut the top part of the plant off But allow you to place it Like taking a cutting. This would speed up making of you're first hemp farm.
Although I like the idea, getting Steel Shear befor your first hemp farm (without TMI) sounds quite impossible, and I don't know if a hemp plant cut in half and planted could grow a root (I don't say that it's impossible, only that I'm not sure) like a cut down willow log can regrow it's branches without root or anything.
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

CheGiuAn wrote:
BigShinyToys wrote: * The steel Shears could Cut the top part of the plant off But allow you to place it Like taking a cutting. This would speed up making of you're first hemp farm.
Although I like the idea, getting Steel Shear befor your first hemp farm (without TMI) sounds quite impossible, and I don't know if a hemp plant cut in half and planted could grow a root (I don't say that it's impossible, only that I'm not sure) like a cut down willow log can regrow it's branches without root or anything.
I over looked the work to get steel You got a point there . as for can it grow, With out saying anything that Might get me arrested YES is the answer Take my word for it ;)
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

CheGiuAn wrote: This hardly seems like a bug to me.
(It's definitely not a hard work to make a red cow like that, and I don't know how hard it'd be to put those shrooms on it's back, but I don't think, that it worths a joke. (however, I'd be more happy, if it'd be just a joke)).

About the steel shears? well, I don't know if we really need it. You can easily get a stack of iron by exploreing a new cave, and if it's smeltable, then I really don't need it. (I can't speak in the name of others)

Whan I can think about it is maybe more efficiency on shearing sheeps. (25%-40% more wool? o.<)
How about shearing them and slicing their throut in the process ? Would save me alot of time chasing them with my sword ;).
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

FlowerChild wrote: I *might* be willing to put in steel sheers at some point if I can find reasonable uses for them, but at present, I still find iron sheers to be a ridiculously underused component of the game to begin with, so I'm not sure I'm really down with expanding upon them even further.
Fair enough - I was mainly throwing the idea out on the grounds that you couldn't make a steel variant like everything else, rather than a specific actual need for them - And i really cant think of a good reason why you'd need them - Maybe harvesting the mushroom blocks themselves without destroying them? But that'd still be an aesthetic thing, not really a great justification.

Thanks for the reply!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I'd love some Steel shears too, especially now that they have more uses (lillypad, mooshrooms, vines, tall grass).
But FC already anserwed, so ... lock :(