Need Advice

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DesLien

Need Advice

Post by DesLien »

Hello all, I have decided to quit lurking and join the community.

So, I have managed to get the farthest into BTW I have ever gotten: I finally made a crucible.

What options are there now? I was strictly following the wiki's beginners guide, and it kinda cuts off there.
I have vague ideas about automation, but I'm a bit unsure about all of it really.

Any ideas on which direction I should be looking? What have you decided to do past this point?
"Out come all his roughness, all his dulness, all his incapability;
shame upon shame, failure upon failure, pause after pause: but out comes the whole majesty of him also..." -John Ruskin
Gunnerman21

Re: Need Advice

Post by Gunnerman21 »

What I've done is recycle my iron pick to make big stripmines. But with death and all, I haven't been able to do that again for years. If you have good food as well, you could make some iron armor.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Mob farrm.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

icynewyear wrote:Mob farrm.
Icy's the man. Mob farm, at least even a small one. A small one could still be a big endeavor but if you've got yourself a stoked crucible, and get a little lucky (or with time, the odds are good) it can really pay off, especially in iron.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Now you can build to your hearts content!

As stated build a great grinder to enchant gear and collect iron. Then you can prep your end attack. (You will need a good bit of gear to cover loss.)

Build a lab for the new brewing system :D
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

And to be perfectly honest, you should already have a mob farm.
But if you've never been past the crucible before, then it's ok ;-)

In order to build a mob farm, you'll need to have at least basic automated tasks going on. Mainly, a vine farm.
Vine traps are a big deal for a mob farm and collecting the necessary vines is a huge pain in the bottom. But automating this task is rather simple and will free up your time tremendously.
You can begin with a simple saw + hopper setup ; the saw will cut off any vine that grows in front of it.

Another thing which you will want : an almighty POOP FARM! Also rather simple, you only need darkness, a few wolves (4 cuts it largely in the long run, we have 6 on my server and we're overflowing in faeces...) and as many dispensers as you have wolves.
A simple item trigger (a dispenser shoot an item on a pressure plate, triggering the feeding of wolves and when the item despawns, it triggers the dispenser to shoot another one, so on and so forth...) will suffice, and as you could probably make do without a few cobblestone stacks, you have your disposable item ^^

If you want an effective vine farm, you'll need quite a number of gearboxes. And gearboxes need gold. You have two options here : going mining, or manage a safe place in the nether from where you can beat the crap out of pigmen caring gold swords.
If luck is your middle name, go for the second option. But cautiousness would prefer the first one...

Anyway, I think I'm done here, fire away your questions if you have any, we all love to help out ;-)

Have fun!
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

What they said; i'll add up to the list for what's to come next but:
- Vine farm
- Mob farm
- Poop farm
- Find a village
- Find a/all strongholds (iron doors will give you a shit ton of iron & gold)
- Kill the dragon
- Meat/food farm
- Automated hemp farm
- Find a mushroom biome
- Trash the nether
- Gold farm
- Nether fortress mob farm (for scrolls & wither skellys) (which can be your gold farm also)

Not necessarily in that order, & then from there you can pretty much automate anything you want & you still have more challenges to come:
- Breed all colors of sheep then automate wool collection
- Make automated farms for any type of plant (wheat, potato, carrot, sugarcane, flowers, mushrooms, ...)
- Make an infernal library
- Make all beacon types
- Make automated farms for all kinds of animals
Spoiler
Show
- Make the device at each appropriate location
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

You guys have forgotten to mention the most crucial thing: an enormous phallic monument in honour of FC, optionally topped off with a framed golden turd.

... what?
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

On that villagers thing : I would recommend to wait for the "villager update" on which FlowerChild is working. We have no ETA for its release (and neither should we), so it might be a while before you get to villagers, but I think that FC has proven in the past that waiting is worth it ;-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Gormador wrote:On that villagers thing : I would recommend to wait for the "villager update" on which FlowerChild is working. We have no ETA for its release (and neither should we), so it might be a while before you get to villagers, but I think that FC has proven in the past that waiting is worth it ;-)
Well at least for wheat (and I think also a fortune scroll but that's purely my point of view), finding a village is useful. And I don't say "go explore and find all the villages in a 16k blocks area. Just find one village and see what you can get from it. I wouldn't advise going all in & bringing the villagers back to spawn.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

thekyz wrote: Well at least for wheat (and I think also a fortune scroll but that's purely my point of view), finding a village is useful. And I don't say "go explore and find all the villages in a 16k blocks area. Just find one village and see what you can get from it. I wouldn't advise going all in & bringing the villagers back to spawn.
Oh come on....what could possibly go wrong? :)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote: Oh come on....what could possibly go wrong? :)
That's it, I'm scared of the next update.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gormador wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Oh come on....what could possibly go wrong? :)
That's it, I'm scared of the next update.
I think the potential problems are already in the mod :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

The first thing I make with my hibachi?
Spoiler
Show
Glue. So I can make the waterwheel and composite bow.
My next step usually involves building out and upgrading my nether tunnels to be HC movement friendly, and digging a vertical shaft into my mines for a platform elevator.
(this in turns frees up a tonne of building materials for a mob grinder.)

Oh.. and welcome. Congrats on getting your crucible too.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
DesLien

Post by DesLien »

Oh boy. I suppose this is why I quit playing vanilla, by this time I would be done with the entire game!

With all of your inputs a mob farm it will be. For some reason I've had large amounts of zombies carrying swords/shovels, maybe I built on an old battleground...
Gold is the main issue so far, up until this point I've had to run on 2 ingots from a mineshaft D:
Not gonna lie, those pigmen scare me more than the ghasts.

Thanks for the list of things I should be looking at, I never fully realized how expanding this mod really is.
I feel like most of my questions are going to be automation related, anyone know/have an idea of best ways to go about the various traps?
(Big thanks to your series Icy, I have now started on my own mob trap while I plan out what to do)
shame upon shame, failure upon failure, pause after pause: but out comes the whole majesty of him also..." -John Ruskin
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

I really enjoy building the killing /recovery part of the trap and putting in vinefarms first. Then I can collect vines as I build the rest of the trap.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

For the mobtrap I advice to build it in a swamp. It will be more dificult to completely sort the drops, but the extra drops will be really usefull.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Niyu wrote:For the mobtrap I advice to build it in a swamp. It will be more dificult to completely sort the drops, but the extra drops will be really usefull.
If you want to get really crazy, build it on the border of a swamp and jungle biome!
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

If you build your vinetrap in a spiral and you can have 4 vines to a saw. The vine mechanic will only allow one source vine per airblock but will allow vines to overlap each other if there sources are on different levels. Build a 3x3x4 with the center cut out, place one vine on the inside of each layer going around the axis.

For your Pigman fears. They all don't Agro if one of them has an "accident".
Spoiler
Show
SSSAy that is some nice gravel you have there, it would be a shame if some of it would fall on your head....
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
will_holmes

Post by will_holmes »

Yup, definitely a basic mob trap (with a vine farm to make the trap) is a good next move. Once you have one going, you can do other things while it spawns all of the iron that you'll ever need, as well as kibble ingredients. It will be like adding an extra player to your game that mines and smelts iron for you all day and night.

You should have collected a fair bit of scrap metal (nearly broken tools, zombie armour/swords/shovels) to resmelt and kit yourself out fully with iron already, so once the mob trap is running, go mine for gold and diamond, making nethercoal for torches as you go. Your crucible gives you the downright god-like ability to renew your diamond pickaxe indefinitely so long as you don't break it, so go crazy with the lava-level strip mining. Upgrade your armour and tools to diamond, with armour as a general priority, and grab as much gold as you can for gearboxes.

You can also royally abuse your infinite iron/diamond axe on a manual tree farm for all of your wood-based building needs.

If you don't have enough scrap iron, remember that you can raid an abandoned mineshaft for its rails to melt down, although I generally try to avoid them, as they've caused my death more often than anything else. Much safer to make a mob trap instead.

The crucible is the definitive block which gives you freedom to do the things you want to do, without the concerns of wasting tools and armour. Once you've kitted yourself out, you're relatively safe to head out on adventures. Your overall goal is to give yourself enough gear (potions, standard enchantments, composite bow, ender specs, tons of arrows) to make it through the Dragon fight, so you can get a load of End Stone to the overworld and work on Steel.
hmanipsalam

Post by hmanipsalam »

will_holmes wrote: The crucible is the definitive block which gives you freedom to do the things you want to do, without the concerns of wasting tools and armour. Once you've kitted yourself out, you're relatively safe to head out on adventures. Your overall goal is to give yourself enough gear (potions, standard enchantments, composite bow, ender specs, tons of arrows) to make it through the Dragon fight, so you can get a load of End Stone to the overworld and work on Steel.
Yep and I would insist on the Night Vision potion since FC added this cool effect. It will help a lot to spot the Dragon.
DesLien

Post by DesLien »

Well I have a plan on how to move forward, thanks everyone for the tips!
My mob trap is coming nicely, just had to kill a few pigmen for their swords. Carefully. Found an enchantment table, jungle and witches hut in a couple of biomes I got through from the nether. Once the mob trap is done I definitely want to make all of my buildings nicer looking. Dirt mounds only look good for so long.
Whenever my typical minecraft castle is complete I will have to post it in the Builds thread..

Once again thanks everyone for the help, and thank you Flowerchild for making this game so much better.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

My hobby is digging a trench around a place in the nether with a funnel into a saw that I cover with vine traps.
Then I shoot a pigman with a bow.

You will want a proper nether mob trap sooner rather than later but I've found that to be a very effective way to boost the gold reserves til you are able.
Better is the enemy of Good