Fruitless strip mining near 0,0?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Taleric

Fruitless strip mining near 0,0?

Post by Taleric »

I have run into an issue strip mining near 0,0 once I have a diamond pick. This has happened enough times over the years I think it is more than coincidence.

I use the same techinque >1000 blocks away from 0,0 and routinely yield 5-9 diamonds in the first few minutes. While near 0,0 it is not uncommon to exhaust my pick in a depressing hunt.

Does/has this happened to you?

With 0,0 being a pivotal location it must be common to tap mines there.
Sandrew

Re: Fruitless strip mining near 0,0?

Post by Sandrew »

If you really are curious I would suggest generating several worlds and using an application like Minutor (if that's still around) to see if there is a notable difference in mineral distribution. You could count the number of diamond veins in a number of chunks and compare it with chunks a certain distance away.

My hunch is that you're just having some bad luck though.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Or Do the same with an x-ray texture pack....but I think it's just bad luck. I've never had a problem anyway.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Lastely you could cut the world with mcedit and look if theres a differens. I also think it's badluck, but maybe you're right.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

I would tend to disagree. I generally find diamonds at an average of per 10 minutes strip mining at the 14th layer, whatever proximity I may be to 0,0. I'd say it's bad luck, but RNGs baffle me anyway.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Bummer, well that shuts down anything but poor RNG. I avoid the 3rd party tools looking behind the curtain, holding out till I had a boatload of observations.

Just hate to see a reset to caving after that initial diamond find :P

Ty for the feedback.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

I just used my initial diamond pick very frugally until I had a crucible, after which point the drive to find more diamonds considerably decreases. :)

My branch mine is very close to 0,0 though and I've found plenty of diamonds.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

When you guys are saying 0,0 do you mean original spawn or the actual world coordinates? They aren't the same thing, and considering Taleric said above he doesn't want to use external viewing programs, it's making me think you guys may be confusing the two.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Sorry was using 0,0 to mean original spawn. Having no coordinates to work with the line between them is blurred, using a compass you just know it is close.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Yeah, I meant spawn. I don't think my branch mine goes anywhere near actual 0,0, which is 100+ blocks away from spawn for me.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:Sorry was using 0,0 to mean original spawn. Having no coordinates to work with the line between them is blurred, using a compass you just know it is close.
Well, not necessarily. That's entirely dependent on the world in question. As far as I know, the way the code works is that upon world gen the game looks for a point close to 0,0 for the player spawn.

However, 0,0 could be in the middle of an ocean or be unsuitable for other reasons, thus original spawn may actually wind up being kilometers away from 0,0.

Hence why making the distinction is rather important. They're not necessarily even vaguely related in a given world.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

I don't see how 0,0 can be used for mining anyway, seeing as hardcore info is a non optional feature. Let's just refer to it as spawn.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.