Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DNoved1

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by DNoved1 »

New snapshot

To sum it up, spectator mode (sounds like what it is, just watching with no interaction), books that are copied say "copy of", and creatures can be ejected from minecarts through activator rails.
Adenine

Post by Adenine »

DNoved1 wrote:New snapshot

To sum it up, spectator mode (sounds like what it is, just watching with no interaction), books that are copied say "copy of", and creatures can be ejected from minecarts through activator rails.
Okay, that last one is actually a cool and useful feature. It might even allow for some automation in VMC. Not really sure what, but at least this gives people using traincraft a way to evict bats from their runaway trains...
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

I like the new skin update. It, at best, helps make flat-looking skins pop out more. At best, it allows for more impressive and dynamic-looking skins. It doesn't seem to be working in my game version, however. Even though I've read that it's backwards compatible. I would update to see if that would fix the problem, but I'm a bit hesitant to do that due to the....sheer bullfuckery that I might have to go through just to get it back to 1.5 to play BTW.

Also, how the fuck do spheres fit into minecraft? I know it was just a snapshot, but it doesn't even LOOK like it would be tied into the game with the blocks and entities. It looks as if it was forced and shoe-horned into the game, which...I guess is exactly what it is.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

I believe that that the way it works is that if you use a skin that is in the new format, then the extra features (different right+left arms, armor layers on body/arms/legs) will be visible only on versions 1.8+; otherwise the skin will still work, but it won't have any of the new features. That being said it might be possible to make a mod that includes these new features in an earlier version, although BTW is probably the only community that would use it :p
Gears

Post by Gears »

Well, this is an interesting turn of events: spheres in Minecraft. Granted, there is no collision, they're completely impractical, and the only reason they exist is because of a quirk with minecarts of all things.

FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

gaga654 wrote:I believe that that the way it works is that if you use a skin that is in the new format, then the extra features (different right+left arms, armor layers on body/arms/legs) will be visible only on versions 1.8+; otherwise the skin will still work, but it won't have any of the new features. That being said it might be possible to make a mod that includes these new features in an earlier version, although BTW is probably the only community that would use it :p
Well, that figures. I thought for sure that Gilberreke said that it was backwards compatible, but then again, he could also just be...you know...wrong.

Anyways, I would LOVE to see a mod like that get made. I would pay a whole....$10 for it.

And i see that Gears found the video I saw! To be honest, I wasn't sure what was going on there. Thanks for clearing it up.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Aren't these spheres extremely laggy?
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

Man the vanilla obsession in that video...
And yes, as soon as he summoned the sphere his framerate tanked. You can see how his recording got all choppy.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Rob

Post by Rob »

The spheres are a performance hit because of the sheer number of entities(minecarts) it has to spawn to pull off the illusion. Create a hundred minecarts in your world and see if it doesn't cause the same problem.

On the topic of backwards compatible, I don't think you understand what that means. It doesn't mean it will give you 1.8 skins in 1.5.2, it means a 1.8 skin won't break your characters look in previous game versions.

Like gaga said, if someone created a mod to make the client/server fetch the new format, than you can have the extra details on a 1.8 template show. Not sure how easy that would be, and it probably involves a .class file FC already edits. Which would make releasing the mod that much harder since it would need a java patcher similar to the one BTH uses. And the visual upgrade would only show to other players that also have the mod installed.
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

Ah. Ok then. Well, the armor I would most likely wear almost all of the time would cover it up anyways. It's still a good thing that it didn't break anything.

...Oh, shit. I just brought in the new Minecraft launcher and almost f**ked up the old game version for nothing. I suddenly feel like I deserve a swift kick in the rear end.
barcode

Post by barcode »

Just a funny little thing I've come across, not really related to this discussion but sort of...

Have a close look around 0:39... =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMoS3z6L2rQ
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

WeedFather wrote:Well, that figures. I thought for sure that Gilberreke said that it was backwards compatible, but then again, he could also just be...you know...wrong.
I'm always right, that's how it works :p
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

barcode wrote:Just a funny little thing I've come across, not really related to this discussion but sort of...

Have a close look around 0:39... =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMoS3z6L2rQ
Hehe, nice. There are actually multiple instances of that throughout the video. BTW inspired, or just a coincidence?
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

That video is actually number 3 in a series. If you look at the first one, around 0:16, you'll see its first squid invasion. It came out June 2012, predating any notion of squid attacks in BTW.
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

Sadly, it's not a BTW reference, several YouTube Minecrafters like SkyDoesMinecraft have had squid "phobias" and such as a running gag.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Ah. I had seen the others in the series, but they are obviously pretty dated, so I had forgotten about that. I don't watch any other MC youtubers besides vechs and the occasional seth video, so i wouldn't know about any other shenanigans related to squids.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

Can someone explain why 1 slimeball is sticky and 9 are bouncy??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnI80Uho4LQ

edit: ops the video is 1 month old (not 3 days old as i thought)
ion

Post by ion »

because on 1 you impale yourself, thus sticky, whilst number 9 is rounder on top and is bouncy.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Iron trapdoors lol... I can't believe they implemented this.
One of the better additions is repeaters not giving off light. Better performance 4 lyf
Spoiler
Show
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

It is a shame that zombies do not break trapdoors in vanilla, or an iron variant of trapdoors might have actually added gameplay.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Exactly, and this is probably why they were never added, it was completely unnessecary.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Has anybody spotted any kind of reasoning or justification for them? This is rather random, even for Mojang and a quick look over twitter didn't reveal anything.

Serious question there. Please refrain from the "they suck", "yes they do" posts like above that don't contribute anything.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

Wouldn't they serve as barriers for players in Adventure Mode?
Shinxy

Post by Shinxy »

I think they just had the idea pop into their head that "Hey, if doors have an iron version, why not trap doors too?" and nothing beyond that. That, and if you're the kind of person who is into aesthetics, that might be nice. Not really a terrible addition, just sort of there, and I think that if they was an iron trap door variant from the beginning, nobody would bat an eye.

The repeaters giving off no light update things is pretty spiffy though, gotta give credit where due.
:V
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ceunon wrote:Wouldn't they serve as barriers for players in Adventure Mode?
Ah, that makes some sense. If it only responds to redstone and not right clicking like the full sized iron door, it would act as a non-player operable gate.

Granted, there's already a ton of stuff that can be used for that in the game via pistons or what have you, but the above at least gives me some idea of what they were going for. I'm not used to thinking in terms of adventure mode stuff.

Thanks.