[Resolved] Unexpected behaviour with gearbox placement

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
thekyz

[Resolved] Unexpected behaviour with gearbox placement

Post by thekyz »

Edit: Solved thanks to ExpHP, was activated redstone dust two blocks above.

I've tried placing two hoppers feeding into the same chest & found it impossible to power the second gearbox. I recorded a video of my problem there for clarity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRijrXR7AD8

Do you guys know what's going on ? Is it expected to not be able to power the gearbox like that or is it a bug ?
Last edited by thekyz on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fret

Re: Unexpected behaviour with gearbox placement

Post by Fret »

How far away is your power source. Mechanical power isn't carried on indefinetly
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Fret wrote:How far away is your power source. Mechanical power isn't carried on indefinetly
If you look at the video you would see that the power being supplied is only one axle length away (because that axle is spinning) That is not the issue here.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Fret

Post by Fret »

magikeh wrote:
Fret wrote:How far away is your power source. Mechanical power isn't carried on indefinetly
If you look at the video you would see that the power being supplied is only one axle length away (because that axle is spinning) That is not the issue here.
Well that wasn't what I meant. By power source I meant windmill or waterwheel. If I remember correctly mechanical power fades away, so you can't carry it for say 200 blocks from just one waterwheel. However I have just started to doubt this, please disregard my earlier post unless someone confirms.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Fret wrote:Well that wasn't what I meant. By power source I meant windmill or waterwheel. If I remember correctly mechanical power fades away, so you can't carry it for say 200 blocks from just one waterwheel. However I have just started to doubt this, please disregard my earlier post unless someone confirms.
I'm not quite sure where you got that idea, but that would seem to require tile entities on both gearboxes and axles, and FC is vocal enough about his stance on those that I wouldn't think twice before calling this statement utter tripe. :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ExpHP wrote: I'm not quite sure where you got that idea, but that would seem to require tile entities on both gearboxes and axles, and FC is vocal enough about his stance on those that I wouldn't think twice before calling this statement utter tripe. :P
Relax dude. He was saying you CAN'T do that :)

I haven't checked out the video yet. Likely will tomorrow since this seems to be a thing.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Yeah, that definitely looks like a bug to me. The axle attached to the gearbox has power (powered axle below facing correctly) and even though the gearbox input is facing the right way (input facing down), it isn't distributing power to the attached axle (horizontal). The gearbox adjacent to it has the same setup and is distributing the power fine.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

FlowerChild wrote:Relax dude. He was saying you CAN'T do that :)
Mmh, I think I interpreted his statement differently (I thought he was saying it was by design that you couldn't do it, hence the TEs required to count the distance).

Anyways, I'm stumped. I hate to be the one that suggests an install issue, but that's all I got. ‾\o/‾

Edit: Never mind, I think I know what it is: Do you have redstone above the ceiling? Active redstone dust can power gearboxes through the floor.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

ExpHP wrote:Never mind, I think I know what it is: Do you have redstone above the ceiling? Active redstone dust can power gearboxes through the floor.
I feel dumb, i should have triple checked :( I didn't know redstone worked like that. Thanks for the help guys!

View from above:
Spoiler
Show