No rain sound on fast graphics

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
thekyz

No rain sound on fast graphics

Post by thekyz »

I saw that FC closed the bug thread, I can confirm I have this problem also.
icynewyear

Re: No rain sound on fast graphics

Post by icynewyear »

There is rain sound on fast graphics. You most likely have your particle effects set to minimal. This is a vanilla feature that disables rain sounds as well as several others.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

I think this and the recent bug thread on anvil items suggest to me that we need to teach a little bit of scientific method here. :P

It's easy to come up with a hypothesis. For example, I use setting X, and I have problem Y. Other people who use setting X also have problem Y. Therefore setting X causes problem Y.

But it's important to recognize that your hypothesis may not be right! Luckily, this particular example is very good in that it is easily falsifiable: If setting X really does cause problem Y, then changing setting X should fix problem Y.

So if you change your graphics to Fancy and get rain sounds, then you could be right. There are still other possible explanations (there always are), but I'd consider that to be fairly solid evidence in your favor.

On the other hand, if changing your graphics to Fancy doesn't bring back the rain sounds, then you know that you need to modify your explanation. :P
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Particles are not set to minimal and the rain sound does come back when i set the details to fancy so I can accept that something is wrong on my part but i can totally reproduce what was explained in the bug that FC closed, thus why I made this post.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

thekyz wrote:Particles are not set to minimal and the rain sound does come back when i set the details to fancy so I can accept that something is wrong on my part but i can totally reproduce what was explained in the bug that FC closed, thus why I made this post.
Hm. My apologies then for jumping to the conclusion that you didn't check.

However, if that is the case, I can't imagine what's going on here. I can assure you that on my system, the only graphics-related setting that appears to affect the rain sound is the particle setting.

Edit: I stand corrected. It's storming right now in-game, and taking a closer listen, it appears that for some reason it's ever-so-slightly quieter on Fast graphics.
Show
Setting graphics to "fast" makes rain quieter, while setting particles to "decreased" has no noticeable effect. (of course, setting it to minimal makes it silent)
(note this is during a storm; I don't know if regular rain is like this)
Not that this necessarily is related to your problem, but I found it a little surprising.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

I recon I should have posted to tech support since this is not happening for everybody, my bad on that part.
Restless

Post by Restless »

Create a creative world (or just one with cheats turned on) and use the weather command ie "/weather rain 1000" (not /toggledownfall as that creates thunderstorms, which as proven can be heard). In BTW version 4.8915 (oldest version I have) the rain is super loud, probably equally loud, on both fast and fancy. But go to BTW 4.89999999 or 4.89PHILIP and the rain is quieter, too quiet for me to hear on fast graphics when I can hear the creeper steps and zombies sizzling just fine. Which I thought was a really nice feature but I guess not if it's unintended :P
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Restless wrote:Create a creative world (or just one with cheats turned on) and use the weather command ie "/weather rain 1000" (not /toggledownfall as that creates thunderstorms, which as proven can be heard).
Ah, okay. This I can verify. Indeed, regular, non-storm rain makes no sound on Fast graphics on my system. There are also no rain particles on this setting, which I would suggest is closely related.

This feels so obvious in hindsight looking at my previous post where I even directly acknowledge that I hadn't tested regular rain yet... :P Anyways, good catch!