BTW server plugins? protection, lock - possible requests

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Epsilon

BTW server plugins? protection, lock - possible requests

Post by Epsilon »

feel free to move this thread over to an more appropriate subforum, as I'm not sure if its placed right here.

Hey there,
so I searched the forum for BTWserverplugins and BTWserver compatibility with Bukkit plugins. That's what I've found:
Spoiler
Show
This one is out:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5747&p=99675&hilit ... gin#p99675
This one seams to be dead too:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5395&hilit=server+plugin&start=25
I also found the 'Edolas BTW server'
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1131&hilit=server+plugin
but I couldn't figure out if Bukkit is still working, or which plugins work with BTW
At the moment I believe there is no way to get Bukkit plugins working on BTW servers or find BTW plugins. correct me if I'm wrong!

*Why do I ask?
I'm one of those players who never liked anarchy and therefore liked bukkit plugins that allow you to lock chests and protect areas and stuff like that. So I want to set up my own small BTWserver for me and my friends; but because I know them pretty well I also know some protection plugins would be really nice to prevent them doing stupid things, as they sometimes like to do.
*What is my goal?
Find out if there is a way to get the things I mentioned on a BTW server.
In case there is now way to do so: to maybe initiate a plugin development for BTW
*What exactly would I wish the plugin to do:
-Lock doors(wooden and iron(see 'lock buttons' below) to be opened only by certain players
-Lock chests the same way
-Lock buttons, pressure plates and levers to only send out /change redstone signal when pressed by authorized players
-Protect areas in many ways like: destroy, place (, fire, explosions, liquids)

I have ideas of how these things could work but I'm not going to explain those now, just think of stakes for the area thing ;)
As some might remember personally I don't have any experience with minecraft modding or java at all; so don't ask ME to do this although I wish I could.

Please no 'I would like to have this' answers.
Advise if what I'm requesting is already there would be nice, other ways if there is a modder willing to do this... just a thought.

I just went trough the forum rules again and believe wrong subforum should be the only issue, if so. I hope I did not miss a statement of FC saying he does not like plugins at all, knowing that he would not like 'this one' as he often mentioned he's an anarchy fan.
DNoved1

Re: BTW server plugins? protection, lock - possible requests

Post by DNoved1 »

Funny that you mention this, as just last night I mentioned on Edolas that I probably could write a basic protection plugin if people wanted it :P

I could do it, but I will need permission from FC to most likely (perhaps not, depending on the exact nature of the plugin, but most likely).\

Edit: After further consideration, I feel it's likely I could make a basic protection plugin without the need to decompile or rely on BTW. This of course partially depends on what exactly the "plugin" needs to do however, so a further outline of specific needs would be helpful.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

EDIT: improved descriptions, made the post prettier.
EDIT: still working on improved descriptions.

Hey thanks man. I'm sorry I missed you post on Edolas ,but there where many results when searching for 'server plugin'.

First question you have to answer for yourself is: how complex should the plug in get?

So I'm now going to point out what I wish in detail.
things I would like to see:
-plugin internal rank system: e.g. *admin *veteran *normal *guest
-group/party system, maybe with group intern rank system (to better handle the following things)
-area protection (destroy and place; if possible fire, explosions, liquids)
-locked chests and doors (no ender chests!)
-locked levers, buttons and pressure plates (if possible)
-locked devices like: crafting tables, anvils, cauldrons, ... (not necessarily)

So next I'm going to explain the different protection, lock functionality's and administration options in detail.

Ranks:
I suppose you know what I mean here. So I'll keep it short.
Think about how complex and edible you want to do it. basics would be:
*admin:
--use 'server' on signs
--promote guests to normal players those veterans and those to admins.
--downgrade other admins...
--protection types: place, destroy, fire, explosions, liquids
*guest:
--no permissions. no block breaking or placing. kind of an adventure mode
*normal:
--lock things with signs (I would limit this in some way, e.g. 20signs/player)
--protect areas with sings (I would limit this in some way, e.g. 3properties with up to 10.000blocks in total/player)
--protection types: place and destroy
--create and maintain one group
*veteran:
--premium player with higher limits (e.g. 50signs/veteran and 5properties with up to 50.000blocks/veteran)

Groups:
This one is to better handle things if many players get access to a chest or anything else protected.
Instead of putting every players name on a protective sign you just put a groups name and all players belonging to the group get access.
You could also add an group internal hierarchy:
*leader:
--the one who found the group
--everything
--gets access to all properties the group has access to
*premium
--is allowed to use the groups name as owner on protective signs
--destroy chest etc.. belonging to the group / remove properties belonging to the group

Locking:
I would use a sign based system. So attach a sign to the thing you want to lock, write the 'activation code' and it's done.
To lock buttons and other devices you can't attach a sigh to place the sign next to it, write the 'code' and then click on the device you want to lock.
Every locked thing has an owner, that can either be a player, a group or the server. Only the owner is able to destroy what ever is locked. Guests are allowed to use the locked device.
All of these will then display the 'owner' and have reserved the last line for 'guests'. Is should be possible to add more then one guest, this can be done with chat commands or by placing an additional sign next to the 'protective sign' as shown below; removing guests would work the same way. to display all guests right click on the sign and the last line will scroll through the list of guests or display the list via chat.
-Chests:
Spoiler
Show
ImageImageImage
-Doors:
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
-Buttons, pressure plates and levers:
Spoiler
Show
For all of them: once you successfully locked something there is a chat message telling you so.

Protected areas:
this one is more complex, as your not locking a single block but an large area that needs to be defined.
So I would like to see btw stakes involved in this. I suggest to surround an area with stakes and strings then putting a sign next to one of the stakes and write the 'activation code' (similar to the one we already know) on it to complete the process.
To keep things easy I would allow only squares. Next problem is the height. To declare the height of the protected are you use the second line telling how deep and how tall the are shell go (remember the layer the stakes are placed in is the 0 layer).
Next you can define the type of protection ; at the moment I think of 5 different protection types although only the first to are realy important:
-block destruction
-block placement
-fire
-explosions
-liquids (water and lava destroying things)
Spoiler
Show
The bricks show the frame of the protected area, they all belong to the protected area
the left sign is the sign to create the protected area. the right one is to give more players or groups permission to 'use' the protected area; I suggest to destroy this sign when changes are applied.
this is how the creator sign looks after creating.
So that's it for now. Tell me if that's what you wanted to know, and ask if there are questions left.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Gonna add my two cents to the above, but i absolutely hated that sign method, it cluttered everything up and made good builds look bad (when you wanted to keep things pretty. Also when you only had the side of a chest showing you were only able to place one sign (so much for chest labels) And so I propose an alternative method of creating a locked chest/door/redstone switch. This being that when the player shift and right clicks on an item it will be 'selected' then the player can go into the chat bar and issue the commands.

Code: Select all

/protect <access level> <other userNames>
  -Access levels
    -private (only owner interaction)
    -public (only owner break, communal use)
  -Other Usernames:
    -This would be the names of other players that you would want to be able to use the device, if the player adds others names, they get use rights to the block as well. Noted that use rights only allow use and not breaking of block nor adding other users

/add <param> <usernames>
  -Param:
    -Owner, adds usernames as owners
    -user, adds username as users
  -UsernamesThis command would add users as use level to the block

/remove <usernames>
  -This command would remove usernames' permissions from the selected block

/remove all
  -This command would remove all protections from a block 

/users
  -This command lists all the users and their level of use on the selected block

This is a much better system (in my eyes) as it removes that clutter that the protected blocks bring to the scene.

Also, if a player that does not have sufficient permissions to access a block it could come up with some error message and the owners name.

Comment on the use of stakes for area protection, Love it! Although i agree that it will be difficult to define an area's height with just stakes, so signs may be able to take this one home ;) (but then again, one sign for a large area is totally fine in my books as its easier to disguise rather than a sign on a single block)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Just thought I'd mention that the stakes are likely out as an option, though I like them. Using stakes would require decompiling BTW, which I am trying to avoid, for simplicity.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

wouldn't it be possible to just check for block ids? Using magikehs way to handle things you would just shift and right click on a stake, the code checks the block ids of stakes and strings to form a square and tells you on the chat what it found, then you write the height owner and guests and you're done.

As mentioned, I have no idea of modding minecraft. But I doubt block id checks require decompiling btw. If you look for Bukkit plugins there was for example the stargate plugin, which used to check for certain block combinations being valid to be used as stargate.

EDIT:
Added videolinks for those not knowing the stargate plugin.
Spoiler
Show

I'm sorry this one is in german, but at the end he shows how to create your own stargate shape. This is what I wanted to show you, cause those stargates are not linked to any blocks. The plugin checks for the block ids to see if a gate is allowed to be created.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Just for me, could you explain how a plugin basically works?
I kind of thought plugins control the client to server traffic and check if client actions accord to possible plugin restrictions.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Well, it's not really a plugin at this point, as the word plugin implies there's some sort of api that I'm using to extend functionality.

However this will be a server side only mod, which does as you describe. (Monitor client <--> server traffic and make decisions based upon such)
TSA

Post by TSA »

sorry for the necro
but i wanted to know how is this coming along

i am interested myself in a grief prevention server side mod that is eficient
in bukkit i found this one that is pretty good at doing that

may give you some ideas
try to chat with him or so
a port do normal server would be awesome

link to mod im talking bout http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/grief-prevention/
LunaticToad
boomerdude

Post by boomerdude »

TSA wrote:sorry for the necro
It would be AWESOME to have some sort of plugin as flower finishes up since he's back in Minecraft and working on finishing it up. I'd think that BTW would be really really popular if someone would make/release one.
boomerdude

Post by boomerdude »

Just thinking... would it be possible to update to the latest version of minecraft for just the command blocks? Flower Child hasn't touched them (to my knowledge) and you can set up some basic commands with those. (I'm more in it for death count). It would open up a lot more possibility and it would only be like one more download I would think. I just wouldn't know how to set that up.
Rob

Post by Rob »

boomerdude wrote:Just thinking... would it be possible to update to the latest version of minecraft for just the command blocks? Flower Child hasn't touched them (to my knowledge) and you can set up some basic commands with those. (I'm more in it for death count). It would open up a lot more possibility and it would only be like one more download I would think. I just wouldn't know how to set that up.
I've played around with command blocks in creative. They were added in 1.4.2 and the scoreboard commands were added in 1.5. So you can already do what you are requesting people mod. Nothing significant has been added to minecraft since 1.5.2 that would have any use in a BTW server that you can't reproduce in other methods. Not knowing how to set it up is another issue easily solved with a Google search.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Also, allow me to quickly dispel the notion that the command blocks themselves have anything at all to do with commands.

Or that a counter for anything could be trivially added without modifying the code where that thing happens. (Lucky for you, the counter you seek is already in the game.)
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

TSA wrote:sorry for the necro

i am interested myself in a grief prevention server side mod that is eficient
in bukkit i found this one that is pretty good at doing that

may give you some ideas
try to chat with him or so
a port do normal server would be awesome

link to mod im talking bout http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/grief-prevention/
SO, I just wanted to share my experience about BTW and Bukkit:
Just for fun I recently tried to install BTW on a Bukkit server; obviously I failed ;)
But I may have found out something that could be useful. [As mentioned in another thread I have no experience with moding Minecraft or Java at all]

I just installed BTW like I would Install it on a normal Mineraft 1.5.2 server file; run it and logged on the server (so far no problems related to BTW, just general java-bukkit stuff); switched me to creative mode and tried to put a BTW-item into my inventory(which works because the creative item-select-menu is client side) -> disconnected from sever (which equals a crash), meaning BTW is not known by the Bukkit-server.

Next I compared a Minecraft 1.5.2 sever to my Bukkit 1.5.2 sever (Obviously I'm not using the latest Bukkit version but the one last released for Minecraft 1.5.2) and realized that many folders where added and all the .class files normaly just found in the main folder where moved to somewhere else by Bukkit.
This lead me to the Idea that if I can find the position of every .class file modified (and so replaced) by BTW and 'install' the related BTW files there, I might be able to run BTW on Bukkit.
Two problems showing up:
-Where to put the BTW .class files not replacing any original Minecraft files
-Are some of the .class files I replace with BTW ones modded by Bukkit? This would cause problem because I would just overwrite (and so remove) Bukkit functionality.

I will see if I can get further testing done, but I'm still hoping for DNoved1 to save my day.

Any thought or suggestions?

UPDATE:
I may have found the 'location' of all the Minecraft .class files in Bukkit, but there is a new problem showing up which I really don't know how to save.
The vanillaMinecraft server consists of files looking like this: 'aab.class' 'aan.class' and so on.
The Bukkit version I found here(.../craftbukkit-1.5.2-R1.0.jar\net\minecraft\server\v1_5_R3\) looks different: 'AABBPool.class' 'ItemAxe.calss'
also this are the number of .class files the folders each contain:
-Minecraft: 1091
-Bukkit: 1078
This makes 23 mysteriously disappeared files.(I compared the Bukkit folder mentioned with a clean Minecraft server, both related to the same versions: 1.5.2)

So Even if this files are the ones I am looking for, I don't know which ones to replace; additionally I would have to rename the replacing files to ensure compatibility with Bukkit which at the same time breaks them for use with BTW and maybe even with each other (Again: I'm not into java ore minecraft modding at all).

This sadly makes me believe there is no (or no easy) way to create Bukkit <->BTW compatibility.
DNoved1, it's onto you! Or any other open minded soul willing to take care of peoples 'protection' dreams.