Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

If I remember right, that mod wasn't really viable for SMP though, at least not beyond a couple of friend player type situations.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:If I remember right, that mod wasn't really viable for SMP though, at least not beyond a couple of friend player type situations.
Yeah, you might be absolutely correct there. IIRC, it's all about CPU bottleneck. There might be technology for servers out there that can make it happen, but it'd mean having to run custom-tailored servers for a specific game, which is not worth it.

On the other hand, say you're making a game right now, and you think this could really benefit the gameplay (has to be worth it), you could bet on the technology being there by the time you launch in maybe 2 years.

I still don't see it being that crucial to gameplay that you need it though. It's more novelty than anything in my eyes. Actually, that goes with everything water-related. Just do some fancy fluid shaders that only require processing client-side and keep it simple server-side. Players will hardly see the difference.

TFC's hardcore bucket mode has finite liquid, but only when poured from a bucket. The calculations on that are so much more cheap that it's actually viable for larger servers and gives you the feeling of finite liquid.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
nortti_

Post by nortti_ »

I assumed that finite water meant this water system, which was replaced by the current one in infdev (or alpha).
Wolf hater

Post by Wolf hater »

Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Someguy:
@jeb_ I think you should get xp when you trade with them

Jeb_:
@BriskenCC I agree

This gave me a good chuckle. From monsters originally, to mining and smelting, to breeding and now finally we can turn reeds and paper into xp orbs.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Minecraft is now Runescape, where every little thing you could possibly do nets you some XP!
Rob

Post by Rob »

BinoAl wrote:Minecraft is now Runescape, where every little thing you could possibly do nets you some XP!
XP for every 10 blocks walked/jumped/ran/swam. #makeithappenjeb_
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

next they will want xp for logging in
-J-

Post by -J- »

Nah man, that'd break the game. First they should make it so that enchanting gives xp. I mean it would be a win-win situation: you get xp to enchant equipment and get xp for doing so. Ingenious!
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
Gareleus

Post by Gareleus »

Well it is totally realistic because the last time I enchanted something in real life the cult taught me quite a bit so that proves it should be in game because realism, that's what minecraft is about right?
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

I want xp for getting xp because you know, the game isn't hard enough. There really isn't anything new to see here. It's just another junk feature.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Wolf hater

Post by Wolf hater »

Jeb says that we will have a snapshot tomorrow: https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/420897478326894592
He said that he is considering using lapis instead of gold in enchanting: https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/420837327188275200
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

How long before unlocking achievements gives exp?
Experience for everyone! Come and experience the experience!
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

EtherealWrath wrote:How long before unlocking achievements gives exp?
Experience for everyone! Come and experience the experience!
Actually, within the context of vanilla, and assuming they'd fix the achievement system, that wouldn't be bad.

It would create an in-game motivation to explore different aspects of the game you might not otherwise and make achievements feel far more tangible than the meta-game thing they are now (as they are in most games).

As a one time bonus, I could see that being pretty cool.

Again guys: think before dissing Mojang please. We're beginning to stray into reflexive criticism of everything they do again rather than well founded pro/con arguments.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Haven't been on the internet too much the past week, but looking at that tweet was hiliarious xD I dont really give a fuck about the new features at this point. Not too long ago i officially quit a server i was a part of. Keep up the free entertainment, Mojang!
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Haven't been on the internet too much the past week, but looking at that tweet was hiliarious xD I dont really give a fuck about the new features at this point. Not too long ago i officially quit a server i was a part of. Keep up the free entertainment, Mojang!
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Why are they so horrible with changelogs. You would think that large overhauls to long-present systems such as trading or enchanting would deserve more explanation than just a mention that 'stuff has changed.' I'm actually rather curious as to what they have done as the enchanting update in jeb_'s tweet actually seemed like a good move for once (encouraging the construction of gold farms).
Wolf hater

Post by Wolf hater »

Sandrew wrote: I'm actually rather curious as to what they have done as the enchanting update in jeb_'s tweet actually seemed like a good move for once (encouraging the construction of gold farms).
Unfortunately, it won't encourage the construction of gold farms because they used lapis lazuli instead, which sounds to me like trying to give it a use that doesn't make any sense just because it's useless.
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

Playing around With the snapshot, I have found the following (Trying not to be bias, just giving info):
Spoiler
Show
Slime blocks are made with 9 slime balls, and absorb ALL fall damage.
-They also make you bounce. If you have ever played the Aether mod, think of the blue (bounce) and white (absorb) clouds combined.
-Lastly, they have a green particle effect when you land on them (no squishy noises, though)

The three blocks are Granite (given by a tweet), Andesite (gray, similar to stone), and Diorite (pale gray).
-All have a similar texture to Gravel
-All have a "polished" alternative, made similarly to stone bricks.

Enchanting has changed dramatically.
-Each enchant needs Lapis (top slot needs 1, mid 2, bottom 3)
--Does not seem to change with 0 books or 15
-Tooltip tells us the cost, "tier" (see above), and first enchant
-Enchants do not change between clicks or items.
--Gold item gives best enchant (known), switch to diamond (not proven, but tested and out of 50 picks, ~30% were silk touch)
Will update from what I can find.

EDIT: Editors at the wiki are much faster: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Version_history/Development_versions#1.8
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Notable bugs seems interesting;
Water and Lava no longer flow toward the nearest drop when possible, instead always flowing outward. Because of this, these liquids tend to spread out on slopes over a much larger surface area.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Rob

Post by Rob »

EtherealWrath wrote:Notable bugs seems interesting;
Water and Lava no longer flow toward the nearest drop when possible, instead always flowing outward. Because of this, these liquids tend to spread out on slopes over a much larger surface area.
I like how that's considered a bug. I always thought it should have behaved that way. Flowing 3 blocks to the closest drop instead of flowing in all directions was just silly. Shame they will revert it back one they fix the 'bug'.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote: I like how that's considered a bug. I always thought it should have behaved that way. Flowing 3 blocks to the closest drop instead of flowing in all directions was just silly. Shame they will revert it back one they fix the 'bug'.
I've always assumed that it operated under the assumption that there was a slight slope to the blocks even if they appeared perfectly cubic, which caused the water to flow in the direction of the steepest incline.

This leads to more reasonable looking waterfalls and such in a blocky world as the water tends to channel instead of just spreading all over the place. I think you'd find natural springs and such would look much more "meh" if they just flowed in every direction. It would basically cause almost every water flow to pool and streams would become a rarity.

Also: performance. Flowing in one direction cuts down on the number of individual block updates when someone creates a water flow or when it's first generated.

All told, like many things MC that Notch made work that way, there's good reasons for it working the way it does if you take some time to think about why instead of just reflexively objecting based on superficial factors.
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:All told, like many things MC that Notch made work that way, there's good reasons for it working the way it does if you take some time to think about why instead of just reflexively objecting based on superficial factors.
I feel like I should feel offended.. but I don't know why. lol ;-)

I feel the way the mechanic behaves now makes less convincing waterfalls. As I always have to do weird things to the terrain to make water flow the way I'd expect it to in the first place. Thinking of the cube being slanted on top makes the mechanic seem reasonable, but having to imagine a cube is not actually a cube for it to makes sense, seems weird to me. <shrugs>
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

If you think of the blocks as the individual atoms of the world that define the slope of an incline, I think it makes the water behavior feel more "natural".

To me, how water would behave in a world comprised of 1 meter cubes is pretty much up for grabs.

And when I was talking about "water falls", I mean the ones that occur in world generation. Seriously man, you'd get some very weird looking shit if water just spread out in every direction every time it fell on the top surface of a block. I think it would make almost every naturally occurring spring look like a precisely engineered water fountain. Every water source on the top of a mountain would basically result in a giant water pyramid :P

Try it out with this buggy release if you like. I think you will realize it's much less appealing than you may think.