Let's Plays

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
frank2982

Let's Plays

Post by frank2982 »

Would any one watch Let's Plays with no voice overs? I was thinking of trying to do one. But I don't really have much to say whether it was live while I was playing or recorded after the fact. I might do a Co-Op with my brother that would have voice overs as there would be a reason to talk, ie communicating what's going on and what to do. But when just playing Single Player I am usually more focused on getting things done, rather than talking. One reason I want to try and do a Let's Play is because whenever I die, I usually rage quit instead of Hardcore Respawn. And doing a Let's Play that people will watch (even if its like 5 people) might keep me going if/when I die.
logorouge

Re: Let's Plays

Post by logorouge »

In my opinion, if there's no voice overs or at least text, then it's not really a Let's Play anymore (it's just a plain gameplay video at that point). Big reasons why I watch Let's Play videos are to hear/read the impressions and reactions of the LPer. With that in mind, I'm immediately more interested in your coop-with-brother idea, as hearing the interactions would be fun.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
frank2982

Post by frank2982 »

I just record about 2 days in game worth of footage (running about 40 minutes). I will try and do a voice over with it (since I didn't record while playing). I'll try and give a little in sight on why I am doing what I am doing and things of that nature. I was planning on putting text as well, like a big "Day 1" in the top corner, etc. Maybe give each episode a title card as well. I was thinking of naming Episode 1 "Initial Supply". As basically that is all I am really doing is punching trees and then getting my first big supply of cobble.

I am going to try and get healthy and ride my bike for a little bit, then I will come in and do some voice over stuff and add it to the footage. Upload that and get some first impressions and go from there before doing more screen capping.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

There are a few legal issues when it comes to LPs with no voice over. It becomes far harder to classify as a derivative work. Something to keep in mind.
To answer the question directly: I have no interest in an LP with no voice overs.
frank2982

Post by frank2982 »

Thanks Icy. Watching your vids with and without FC is another reason I wanted to try and do some BTW Let's Plays. I just have nothing interesting to say really. Plus I hate the sound of my own voice. But I know a lot of people say that. Hopefully I can keep it moderately interesting.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

frank2982 wrote:I just have nothing interesting to say really. Plus I hate the sound of my own voice.
These are things that get easier with practice :) Trust me on that.
frank2982

Post by frank2982 »

The editing program I have is messed up. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Getting all the patches downloaded now. Once this gets back to working I will put the video together then do a voice over for it. Then add that in. I will try and have Episode 1 uploaded tonight. I'll probably start a new thread in the BTW Section then lock/request to lock this thread so that way there isn't 2 threads open for the same topic.
wizardglick

Post by wizardglick »

There was one video from Voicki (sp?) that had no voice. But it was the recording of him mining to find enough resources for a compass and trying to find his way from HardcoreSpawn. So it had a definite plot and tension to keep you interested.

And don't worry too much about the sound of your own voice. Mine sounds much worse in my head, and if you do have problems, a few voice lessons can help a lot in a short period of time. Here's a free one:

https://www.berkleemusic.com/welcome/free-voice-lesson
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

Try getting a good accent for voice recording as well. Something other than an American or an overdone British accent goes a long ways. Otherwise, I agree with Icy. No voice, no let-play, no watching.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
frank2982

Post by frank2982 »

Running into another problem. I do full screen with a 1920x1080 resolution. But I guess with the top bar from Minecraft and the bottom of my screen that has the taskbar it makes the actual image 1920x1016. So when I import it into my editing program (Pinnacle 16). It for some reason makes it 4:3 and puts black bars on the sides of it and gives it that square in a rectangle look you see sometimes. I might just put this one up like that just to get it started then try and figure out a better way to record so it displays properly on the youtube screen with everything that should be seen takes up the full amount.

Edit: I might have it figured out now. But now I just got to wait for this 40 minute video to process it's first go around, then export so I can voice over the whole video. I might have it up tomorrow at this rate. Hopefully it is worth the wait.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

frank2982 wrote:Running into another problem. I do full screen with a 1920x1080 resolution. But I guess with the top bar from Minecraft and the bottom of my screen that has the taskbar it makes the actual image 1920x1016.
I just stretch it to fit :P No one has noticed yet :P
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

frank2982 wrote:Running into another problem. I do full screen with a 1920x1080 resolution. But I guess with the top bar from Minecraft and the bottom of my screen that has the taskbar it makes the actual image 1920x1016.
I make videos too but I'm at an advantage when it comes to video ratios. My main computer monitor is a 32" flatscreen TV so my "screen" resolution is already in the 16:9 ratio of the 1080p (1920x1080) as opposed to the computer monitor ratio of 16:10 (Note: I work in the AudioVisual field and these two "conflicting" ratios are a problem). The BIG problem about recording in 1080p (1920x1080) is that the screen capture files, say from FRAPS (at full size screen recording), are HUGE and eat up PC resources possibly slowing down your frame rate to ew gross levels. For minecraft videos 720p (1280x720) is plenty but how does one get around to recording 1280x720 especially on fraps.

This little program is awesome for that... and its free! Once installed all you need to do is right click on a window edge and select what size you want that window to be. You'll have to setup your own window size selection to get 720p but it works great. Note that if you make the window size exactly 1280x720 this also INCLUDES the outside window edge so when you record the game, the game is within the window and thus smaller than 1280x720 as that includes the window. If you make the window size (1296x758) this will include the window edge and the game within the window will be exactly (1280x720). That is what I record in and yes obviously having a 1080p resolution I play minecraft windowed mode while recording in the "720p".

http://www.brianapps.net/sizer/

I'll also soon (maybe about 30 minutes) be making (and necro'ing) a post in a LP thread that is found in the Better Than Wolves Discussion section. You could post in there if you'd like.

Edit: Fiksing mistaykes
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
frank2982

Post by frank2982 »

icynewyear wrote:
In my previous Pinnacle program (11 I think or 14 can't remember which one it was). I could do that, as I had to do that for another video before. But 16 has a weird set up from previous versions. I did a small test and it looks like I might have found the proper setting to do it right. Exporting the full video now and going to upload that to youtube as private so I can make sure it shows properly. Then going to go back and do the voice over if it works.

Rawny, I am using Fraps. But I have the setting set to make it make a new file every 4 GB. While I played for 40 minutes on my first go around it didn't seem to lag too bad. I have a decent computer (I think anyways) and I put my Minecraft settings on a lower setting so it should run fine with Fraps going. Without Fraps running I think I can get 150-200 FPS if my computer hasn't been running for a while.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm sure this is kind of off topic. And, I've never recorded before so I don't have first hand experience. But I heard OBS, http://obsproject.com/, makes smaller recordings. But it's in .mp4. Which could be a problem? I have no idea. Maybe that will help you. <shrugs>
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

icynewyear wrote:
on the contrary, i have noticed, it cuts out a large portion of the hot bar, but i ignore it anyway
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Rob wrote:I'm sure this is kind of off topic. And, I've never recorded before so I don't have first hand experience. But I heard OBS, http://obsproject.com/, makes smaller recordings. But it's in .mp4. Which could be a problem? I have no idea. Maybe that will help you. <shrugs>
Odd you mention that because I recently tried streaming and OBS was the software I basically randomly chose. While youtube'ing OBS "how too"s I discovered that OBS could also be used as a fraps type local recorder.

Funny cus just today I started doing tests using YouTube help videos on OBS local recording settings. The big difference seems to be the option to do variable bit rate of data while recording. If you're just standing there not moving talking about how hot your granny must have been back in the day, you aren't moving so the brown patch is still a brown patch and instead of taking a new "picture" full of data and saving "the patch is this shade of brown like this", the "data" saved is more like "section did not change"... Thus less data to save.

The output files were MUCH smaller than the typical sizes I get from traps at 720p, and much less burden on my pc system. I then tested at 1920x1080 @ 60 frames per second with good results. I think I notice a blur or a washed out effect and I'm not certain if I'm just making it up but the quality was still so great that exporting it to 720p after editing (and being able to do awesome slow mo action shots cus I recorded the feed at 60 fps) makes me think my next couple videos will be with OBS.

Good review from me.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Obs is awesome because its small and fairly simple, also it allows the recording of only one program. So you could drag personal files/popups infront of the game screen and no one would be the wiser (rather than the entire window capture) And man oh man Rawny i cannot wait :D
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

magikeh wrote:Obs is awesome because its small and fairly simple, also it allows the recording of only one program. So you could drag personal files/popups infront of the game screen and no one would be the wiser (rather than the entire window capture) And man oh man Rawny i cannot wait :D
And wait you will little one Muah hahahaha! Thanks for the excitement, great compliment! I find it surprising that I haven't gotten any attempts at solving the "enigma" at the end of my 5 minute vid here...
http://youtu.be/TTdIGvVnp5k

This is the guide video I used to get my OBS first set up, then I messed with it a little more. He blathers on but for anyone just starting to use OBS its perty clear.
http://youtu.be/e9Y5vhu1n1o
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

One of those rare times where it isn't insanity to try the same thing over and over, and expect a different result :P
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

DNoved1 wrote:One of those rare times where it isn't insanity to try the same thing over and over, and expect a different result :P
Points go to DNoved1 and Wyr3d.

Wow wow wow, Ty Six!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8235&p=139025#p139025
How did I not know about Huntanor and I'll have to check out Cagnouto as I speaks le français too!
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

FYI not happy with OBS.
Video seems slightly choppy though my PC can handle it. 50% of my recorded video were viewable but uneditable for some unknown reason, I couldn't even convert them. A MAC was able to save the files for me. CmdrRipper lost audio on a bunch of his.

Never had problems with Fraps and I'm going back rapidly. Big files... meh, I've got room to spare on my HDs.

EDIT: And now some of my audio is out of sync.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Rawny wrote:FYI not happy with OBS.
Video seems slightly choppy though my PC can handle it. 50% of my recorded video were viewable but uneditable for some unknown reason, I couldn't even convert them. A MAC was able to save the files for me. CmdrRipper lost audio on a bunch of his.

Never had problems with Fraps and I'm going back rapidly. Big files... meh, I've got room to spare on my HDs.

EDIT: And now some of my audio is out of sync.
Hmm.. OBS is very sensible with it's settings.
I record locally with 6000k/bits and I had no real audio problems.. How big are your video files and how long?
Maybe I can help you :)
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread