Crusader Kings 2 Multiplayer

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Noodlerex

Crusader Kings 2 Multiplayer

Post by Noodlerex »

So I picked up CK2 on sale a while ago, and I've been having a lot of fun with it, but I feel like I've kind of hit a wall, I find my self rapidly becoming bored with the lord/faction I'm playing with, simply because the game isn't really all that challenging. So I was wondering, has anyone here played it multiplayer, and is it enjoyable? also whats the deal with the game speed? is it super accelerated, because I couldn't see how you could play a whole game in something matchmade.
Thanks in advance.
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
Ceunon

Re: Crusader Kings 2 Multiplayer

Post by Ceunon »

Speaking from my experience...

I've bought the game back in July with a couple of friends, and have played nearly 200 hours since then. I think I've played only about 15 or 20 hours of multiplayer with said friends. With that in mind, I would say you don't need multiplayer at all to enjoy it.

If you're having trouble "finding" the fun, I would recommend watching a few videos on YouTube from experienced players. As you are probably aware, this game is freaking huge. You can always learn a lot when watching other people play. If I might suggest, I'd say Arumba (http://www.youtube.com/user/arumba07) is one of the best YouTubers out there that plays CK2 on a regular basis. The guy is really nice, funny, and he uploads about 5 videos *a day*. And he knows a lot about the game. Pick one of his series and watch it from the start. You'll start having ideas for different playthroughs, and then you'll learn more and more, and have even more ideas...You get the drill.

PS: I think it is worth mentioning that I have most of the DLCs for the game (Sword of Islam, Restoration of Rome, The Republic, Sunset Invasion and The Old Gods - I plan on buying Sons of Abraham as soon as I can get a decent discount on Steam). I wouldn't say they're necessary to fully enjoy the game, but they greatly increase the fun you'll get. Especially The Old Gods.
JesterxMailMan89

Post by JesterxMailMan89 »

CK 2 is an excellent game, and I find it surprising your bored with it. For me its always a heart wrenching experience because I always find myself dealing with problems and issues, maybe from not being as good a player as possible but Im definitely not terrible at the game. Multiplayer is fun but if you are trying to be competitive you might find it easy at times to eliminate each other, so a lot of the time you need to have some gentleman's agreements. And the speed is controlled by the host I believe, so whatever speed you guys want to play is what you can do but there is no pausing (unless the host wants to but it would take forever for everyone to constantly pause).
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

Bored probably wasn't the right word, as I'm still enjoying playing the game, I was just finding there to be a lack of challenge, and was wondering if multiplayer added that/was worth it
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Note that the challenge you get from the game is determined almost entirely from the character you choose to start with. Try starting as a zorostian and see how easy the game is.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I usually have the most fun playing as some relative nobody I've never heard of and trying to see how much I can improve his dynasty through the course of the game.

If you're picking a powerful leader to start with you may be spoiling your own fun by eliminating much of that climb upwards and turning it into a game of retaining power rather than accumulating it. I don't personally find treading water like that to be particularly compelling either.

As for MP, I've never been tempted to even try it as I find grand strategy games that depend on variable time accel to be ill suited for such things.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I believe in all paradox grand strategy games, difficulty is dependant upon the power of the realm you rule/ruler you pick. Try playing EU as a small vassal state for eg. Then try again as France. Big difference.

As for multi, I don't think strategy games in general are suited to multiplayer, unless it has been a focus for the development team from the start. Multi as an afterthought rarely works well.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
JesterxMailMan89

Post by JesterxMailMan89 »

This may help, I know Arumba (linked above), NorthernLion, and MathasGames have 2 multiplayer series on youtube of CK2 if ya wanna get a feel for how it goes. They seem to really enjoy it themselves but they do say several times that they have lots of technical issues getting set up and keeping the game in sync. Here is Arumba's POV of their newest series, but they all have their own POV's recorded. I like to think seeing multi in action will give ya the best feel for how it goes, but sp definitely has plenty of challenge by itself depending on who you choose.