Came back to BTW with strategies

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ExpHP

Re: Came back to BTW with strategies

Post by ExpHP »

Mud wrote:A good example would be my last world, where my initial spawn right next to a pumpkin patch. I took half of them and about 1 minecraft week later I was a few ore away from being able to craft an iron tool and start my first settlement and was killed by something or other. And yes, I still play nomadic until I collect enough iron to make a hoe.
I think I can finally say with complete certainty that I no longer understand the nomadic lifestyle. Every time you move, you:

-Risk losing your food, iron and coal
-Endanger new animals at night
-Have to find a new cave (imo, the initial raid is often the hardest part)
-Risk leaving HCS radius and making your base that much more difficult to find
-Lose potential cooking time for your iron

So... what exactly is the advantage?
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

dawnraider wrote:snip
Because there's usually enough food wandering around that I can afford to cage a few for later and not starve day 1? Its around day 3/4 when I start getting worried. I hate going out on hunting trips, it kinda feels wrong to me. Then again when I start progressing up the tech tree I like making farms with great sprawling fields and huge pastures of animals, with red barns and hen-houses all against the backdrop of a windmill and farmhouse.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok....wait...going out on hunting trips, which people have been doing since, well, forever, due to a local food supply not being able to sustain them, feels wrong to you when burying animals for days or weeks without food, water, or light and then coming back to find them magically still alive is somehow better?

Dude... :)

There was a very good reason why I was strongly considering getting rid of being able to do that man.
eternal8phoenix

It's not that it feels like bad gameplay...I just personally wouldn't be doing it if I were thrown into a survival situation. I prefer the idea of living off of the land more than decimating every creature in a 10 mile radius. I prefer to feed the angry wolf who is trying to bite my head off than try to cut off his. Hell I think I still have wild wolves hanging around the taiga behind my house. I kinda prefer the whole "harmony with nature" thing even if that nature still insists on tentacle raping me :P

EDIT: I would also point out that people have also been using various traps to capture animals for almost as long as they've been hunting them. It just so happens that steve? doesn't have gravity to worry about as much when he build them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ah! Gotcha, sorry.

Yeah, beyond being nice to animals, there is indeed a reason for feeling bad about spreading whatever it is that Steve is doing to the world around him to a larger radius, and that's by design ;)
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

eternal8phoenix wrote:It's not that it feels like bad gameplay...I just personally wouldn't be doing it if I were thrown into a survival situation. I prefer the idea of living off of the land more than decimating every creature in a 10 mile radius. I prefer to feed the angry wolf who is trying to bite my head off than try to cut off his. Hell I think I still have wild wolves hanging around the taiga behind my house. I kinda prefer the whole "harmony with nature" thing even if that nature still insists on tentacle raping me :P
I'm a big believer in harmony with nature. However, one animal feeding off another is not in violation of harmony with nature, and I think that's a big misconception that gets thrown around. You violate harmony with nature when, say, you decide to exterminate all foxes because they happen to enjoy the taste of chicken. If, on the other hand, you kill a wild sheep and eat it without waste, you are fully respecting nature and the circle of life.

"Harmony with nature" doesn't mean "never kill anything." Unless, of course, you think harmony with nature means all life should starve and die.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

...or you think "harmony with nature" means not spreading a zombie apocalypse that exterminates all life around you in your travels :)
Mud

Post by Mud »

ExpHP wrote: So... what exactly is the advantage?
I don't see there to be much choice when it comes to collecting enough iron for my first tool. I'm aware that the Nomadic playstyle fad has come and gone, but I don't fully understand how people got around the need for it when it comes to collecting iron early on.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:...or you think "harmony with nature" means not spreading a zombie apocalypse that exterminates all life around you in your travels :)
No doubt :) But, a nomadic lifestyle (in BTW) is far more likely to do that than settling down in one place.

EDIT: On second read, that's pretty clearly what you were saying. I misunderstood. My apologies :)
eternal8phoenix

jkievlan wrote: I'm a big believer in harmony with nature. However, one animal feeding off another is not in violation of harmony with nature, and I think that's a big misconception that gets thrown around. You violate harmony with nature when, say, you decide to exterminate all foxes because they happen to enjoy the taste of chicken. If, on the other hand, you kill a wild sheep and eat it without waste, you are fully respecting nature and the circle of life.

"Harmony with nature" doesn't mean "never kill anything." Unless, of course, you think harmony with nature means all life should starve and die.
Oh I know it doesn't violate anything like that. It's just I don't like going off to kill a couple of dozen sheep or whatever when with a bit of careful planning I can survive quite nicely off of scrambled eggs, which means less things die from me or from zombies or whatever. I don't particularly like killing sheep for wool either considering you can just shear them later on. However I have no scruples about using leather...guess I'm just weird. :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

eternal8phoenix wrote:However I have no scruples about using leather...guess I'm just weird. :P
Cows have no souls, as demonstrated later in the game by Hardcore Nothing To Worry About.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Mud wrote:I don't see there to be much choice when it comes to collecting enough iron for my first tool. I'm aware that the Nomadic playstyle fad has come and gone, but I don't fully understand how people got around the need for it when it comes to collecting iron early on.
I think if you stuck at one spot and made it a point to always return home before nightfall, you'd be surprised at just how long you'll still be able to find living animals within a 2 minute walk from home.

In one of my more recent bases, I had lived in the base up to the point where I had a Nether Portal and a cauldron. After I found a village with wheat, I was still able to find packs of sheep and cows that were close enough to my base that I could get them to follow me home to safety in under a day.
Mud

Post by Mud »

My issue isn't livestock though, it's iron. In the past I've sometimes had to wander distances greater than a day's worth of travel to gather enough for my first pick.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mud wrote:My issue isn't livestock though, it's iron. In the past I've sometimes had to wander distances greater than a day's worth of travel to gather enough for my first pick.
Errrrr....wtf? :)

I really can't see how that could be the case. You do realize you can dig downwards with stone picks right?
Mud

Post by Mud »

My weird playstyle seems to be the result of conflicting advice, then. Until now I was under the impression that I should avoid caving in early-game and only collect iron that's visible from the surface...

:edit: I suppose I do find some when collecting cobble during the night, but not nearly enough.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I wouldn't recommend caving until you at get some leather and/or wool armor on you, but yeah man, on countless HC Spawns, one of my first major objectives is to always equip myself to start caving for initial iron.

While caution is definitely recommended in all things BTW, I suspect you may be overdoing it a bit :)
Mud

Post by Mud »

I'll keep that in mind when starting my next world, thanks.
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

FlowerChild wrote:
eternal8phoenix wrote:However I have no scruples about using leather...guess I'm just weird. :P
Cows have no souls, as demonstrated later in the game by Hardcore Nothing To Worry About.
Then what are the experience orbs that they drop
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Puzzled wrote: Then what are the experience orbs that they drop
Well, it's a bit of a spoiler, but ok:
Spoiler
Show
Skittles.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

The most iron ive collected in all my time in the latest version is.. wait for it.. 6 iron ore. Not even smelted. I don't understand what im supposed to do after hardcore-spawning during the night. I spawn somewhere and almost immediately get killed by something. What do other people do after a non-morning hcs?
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Hardcore spawn turns night to day, does it not?

Unless you're playing multiplayer, in which case I would recommend everyone banding together to stave off various threats.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Yes it does, but im talking about hcs's close together enough that the time limit sets in and i spawn during the night
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

In that case I would recommend doing as Flowerchild does (or did), and holing up for the night. You'll come out the next day with reduced hunger, but not by too much, and should be able to get wood -> stone -> meat in time to save yourself.

At that point there's plenty of guides around on how to manage yourself in order to survive.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Maybe i just shouldnt eat animals... I'm thinking of starting a world, making tiny bases and such, but not eating animals. I die so much that the food i do eat doesnt matter, so it basically goes to waste. Eventually I'll find a ravine or something similar with a lot of exposed iron, hopefully more than 18, so there ill start my true survival, mine the ore, kill animals and such, get a pumpkin/chicken farm going, and then after a while ill move the trapped animals to my base. Then ill have lots of animals to work with right from the beginning.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:
Puzzled wrote: Then what are the experience orbs that they drop
Well, it's a bit of a spoiler, but ok:
Spoiler
Show
Skittles.