Cracked Article About Video Game Industry

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Noodlerex

Cracked Article About Video Game Industry

Post by Noodlerex »

http://www.cracked.com/article_20727_5- ... crash.html
Just read this, and holy crap is it strange how similar it seems to echo the voice of FC and other people I've spoken to or heard speak about working in gaming. I figured it would be an interesting read for most of the people who visit this forum regularly.
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Cracked Article About Video Game Industry

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, keep in mind that I've known and been close friends with a lot of developers over the years. My views also evolved over a very long period of first hand exposure as I worked in the industry myself.

The opinions I express, while most people probably keep quiet on them publicly, are thus not exactly an anomaly, and I'd be rather surprised if you meet many professionals that have been at it a significant amount of time that do not at least share some of them.

When we're dealing with the public in a professional capacity, we tend to try to keep an upbeat perspective on things, but that's pretty much the norm in any industry as you obviously don't want to be bitching about things to your clients :)
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I think another problem is that certain giants don't realise how bad a name they're developing for themselves trying to sell more (I'm looking at you EA). Hell, it's the Firefly Effect for gaming.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I wouldn't worry about it. The markets will take care of stuff like this. In fact they're already doing it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah...just like they took care of Hollywood :P

Remember: part of the reason why games are being developed the way they are is fan pressure to make them that way.

It's all good by me though now that I'm out of it, as it creates a market niche that I can hopefully occupy ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

That's what I meant. It creates a market for well designed games which has been the explosion of the indie scene. Also it makes room for companies in the mid market like stardock that is funding small studios. As far as hollywood I would say that maybe they're not making what you like but based on the profits they're making on many of the movies that have come out they seem to be giving people what they want. :P