Panel Saw

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Nexus Trimean

Panel Saw

Post by Nexus Trimean »

I Have a Rather Simple Idea, Perhaps FlowerChld has thought of it, But i will put it down here.

With the addition of 1.8 we now have glass panels. which are created out of glass block through the magic of crafting. Better than wolves has a better way. We can already cut Wood into panels, I propose Cutting glass. Each Glass Block would be cut down to 4 Panels, Making it a better method than crafting, but still requiring you to have a saw, not a small feat. This Would require very little work, only additional saw recipy, no new block ID's or anything fancy.

Thank you for your consideration.
Last edited by Nexus Trimean on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugaard

Re: Panel Saw

Post by Rugaard »

i suggest using redpower, it has a diamond saw that can cut almost anything and its also 100% compatable with BTW http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/365 ... tone-pipe/
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Nexus Trimean wrote:I Have a Rather Simple Idea, Perhaps FlowerChld has thought of it, But i will put it down here.

With the addition of 1.8 we now have glass panels. which are created out of glass block through the magic of crafting. Better than wolves has a better way. We can already cut Wood into panels, I propose Cutting glass. Each Glass Block would be cut down to 4 Panels, Making it a better method than crafting, but still requiring you to have a saw, not a small feat.

Thank you for your consideration.
As far as I'm aware, FC has never removed a crafting recipe in Vanilla MC, this isn't a great reason to start doing that sort of thing.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

Im not purposing the Removal of a vanilla recipe, Just adding one. which he has done before. Using newer tools to make crafting more proficent.

if you craft panes in the Workbench, you get 16 panes for 6 glass blocks, if you used the saw as i am proposing you would get 24 panes for 6 glass blocks.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I like the idea of an alternate recipie, the saw just seems like strange place for it though. Saying that, steve can force 6 cubic meters of solid glass in to 16 1 square meter panels with just brute force, so...I can't say there's any good reasons against it in the short term.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

Well we have these massive cubes of glass, only makese sense that if you want them thinner you have to cut them.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Stormweaver wrote:Saying that, steve can force 6 cubic meters of solid glass in to 16 1 square meter panels with just brute force, so...
Not to mention he can hack a cubic meter of tree trunk into four cubic meters of wood with his fists, cram 6 cubic meters of wood into a 2 meter square door (with a window, often), etc. He's also capable of making things like the furnace using nothing but stone and his fists, or rails and minecarts.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Fracture wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Saying that, steve can force 6 cubic meters of solid glass in to 16 1 square meter panels with just brute force, so...
Not to mention he can hack a cubic meter of tree trunk into four cubic meters of wood with his fists, cram 6 cubic meters of wood into a 2 meter square door (with a window, often), etc. He's also capable of making things like the furnace using nothing but stone and his fists, or rails and minecarts.
Yeah. Seems kinda silly to argue that a saw wouldn't be able to cut glass up after that.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

Given the universe that Steve Inhabits, The saw cutting Glass is less of a stretch than most things. Glass panes can be cut by saws in real life, though it's difficult and usually requires a special blade, I still don't think its too far of a logical leap to have the saw able to make glass panels as an alternate Recipe.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I can say i see any real problem in making this, having the saw allows the player to use less wood, so i don't see a reason why it couldn't be the game for getting glass panes
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

I really think its good to Add more functionality to cool bits of BTW
cjrg

Post by cjrg »

Cutting glass would be a good idea if it met a few prerequisites to make it a bit more realistic (since BTW has really been focused on being realistic(correct me if im wrong about that)).

1. It should be cut with a special saw (perhaps a diamond tipped saw)

2. it should first be cut in half making a sort of glass panel and then it could be cut into panes.

3.there should be a 30%-50% chance of the glass shattering.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

cjrg wrote:Cutting glass would be a good idea if it met a few prerequisites to make it a bit more realistic (since BTW has really been focused on being realistic(correct me if im wrong about that)).

2. it should first be cut in half making a sort of glass panel and then it could be cut into panes.

cjrg wrote:1. It should be cut with a special saw (perhaps a diamond tipped saw)
cjrg wrote:(perhaps a diamond tipped saw)
cjrg wrote:diamond tipped saw
Leave man. Just leave. Beyond mentioning a whole 2 new block IDs, you went with the second biggest suggestion taboo the mod has.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

The first rule of diamond tipped saws is: you do not talk about diamond tipped saws.
The second rule of diamond tipped saws is: you DO NOT talk about diamond tipped saws!
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Ok, someone must tell me why "diamond-tipped saw' is such a verboten topic, other then the fact that it would actually be diamond-edged or industrial diamond saw.

I encourage use of PMs in answering, too
SCIENCE!
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Magmarashi wrote:Ok, someone must tell me why "diamond-tipped saw' is such a verboten topic, other then the fact that it would actually be diamond-edged or industrial diamond saw.

I encourage use of PMs in answering, too
No, I'll just answer here, it's okay that everyone sees this:

1) Obviously, FC has thought of this. Any child above 8 years old can think up something as simple, since it's that obvious
2) The idea has been suggested dozens of times before
3) Every time it's suggested, it always gets a no from FC and the rest of the userbase
cjrg

Post by cjrg »

Stormweaver wrote:
cjrg wrote:Cutting glass would be a good idea if it met a few prerequisites to make it a bit more realistic (since BTW has really been focused on being realistic(correct me if im wrong about that)).

cjrg wrote:1. It should be cut with a special saw (perhaps a diamond tipped saw)
cjrg wrote:(perhaps a diamond tipped saw)
cjrg wrote:diamond tipped saw
Leave man. Just leave. Beyond mentioning a whole 2 new block IDs, you went with the second biggest suggestion taboo the mod has.

please note i posted this before i even learned about this and i think you should seriously cut me some slack considering i just joined and am just trying to use these forums to talk im really sorry that i posted that now but i really dont want this to haunt me so can you justdrop it for Gods sake.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

cjrg wrote:Please note I posted this before I even learned about this and I think you should seriously cut me some slack considering I just joined and am just trying to use these forums to talk. I'm really sorry that I posted that now, but I really don't want this to haunt me, so can you just drop it for god's sake.
No. Sorry, but there is a search function. There is common sense. There is no forcefully obligated rule that forces us to go light on you because you are new. There is also almost no resentment on this forum, so just continue on and we won't hold this small slip-up against you :)

Edit: also, use proper capitalization rules, fixed your post.
cjrg

Post by cjrg »

Gilberreke wrote:
cjrg wrote:Please note I posted this before I even learned about this and I think you should seriously cut me some slack considering I just joined and am just trying to use these forums to talk. I'm really sorry that I posted that now, but I really don't want this to haunt me, so can you just drop it for god's sake.
No. Sorry, but there is a search function. There is common sense. There is no forcefully obligated rule that forces us to go light on you because you are new. There is also almost no resentment on this forum, so just continue on and we won't hold this small slip-up against you :)

Edit: also, use proper capitalization rules, fixed your post.
I was about to post a large paragraph on how this whole situation is retarded but if your willing to drop this then i am too.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

A diamond saw blade is beyond steves Current tech level. you dont need a diamond tipped saw to cut glass. it can be done with a masonry blade as long as you are careful. I dont like the Idea of a glass half step because it uses a block ID that would be better elsewhere. Its a bit of a strech, but less of one than a lot of things in minecraft.

Its difficulty in implementing is small. Just a new Recipe for the saw.