Blight: Peoples experience with it. [SPOILERS]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ramzax

Blight: Peoples experience with it. [SPOILERS]

Post by Ramzax »

I came across the blight on the wiki today, and I was curious what people could share with me to avoid trouble with it later on. Is it like corruption in terraria? Where with enough work you can surround the corruption with incorruptible material and prevent its spread before you go into hard mode?
jkievlan

Re: Blight: Peoples experience with it.

Post by jkievlan »

Ramzax wrote:I came across the blight on the wiki today, and I was curious what people could share with me to avoid trouble with it later on. Is it like corruption in terraria? Where with enough work you can surround the corruption with incorruptible material and prevent its spread before you go into hard mode?
Blight isn't really a danger unless it matures, and if you look at the requirements for mature blight, you'll see that it's pretty easy to keep it from getting to that stage. Unless you want mature blight for some kind of evil, insane experiment...
Dale

Post by Dale »

jkievlan wrote:
Ramzax wrote:I came across the blight on the wiki today, and I was curious what people could share with me to avoid trouble with it later on. Is it like corruption in terraria? Where with enough work you can surround the corruption with incorruptible material and prevent its spread before you go into hard mode?
Blight isn't really a danger unless it matures, and if you look at the requirements for mature blight, you'll see that it's pretty easy to keep it from getting to that stage. Unless you want mature blight for some kind of evil, insane experiment...
Blight isn't a danger unless its mature? Have you ever played BTW?
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

jkievlan wrote:Blight isn't really a danger unless it matures, and if you look at the requirements for mature blight, you'll see that it's pretty easy to keep it from getting to that stage. Unless you want mature blight for some kind of evil, insane experiment...
Is it evil and/or insane to want to unleash it on all the jungles?
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I just warn you about checking everything on the wiki if thats okay :) I spoiled blight, the beast and many other cool figure out things back when i was a massive noob which spoiled alot of shit for me, i dont want that to happen to you :)
Mud

Post by Mud »

I started growing it as a means of wiping out a nearby forest biome (I got the idea from an old post by milkmandan in fact) but never got around to implementing it.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Dale wrote:Blight isn't a danger unless its mature? Have you ever played BTW?
Why yes, actually, I have :) It's a great mod.

Blight doesn't destroy everything in its path until it's mature. If you can prevent it from spreading to (1) a water block on its level then (2) a lava block on its level then (3) a portal, then you can prevent mature blight. If you can't figure out how to stop it from passing all three of those, then you fail at BTW.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Its fun, pretty and fast. plant it everywhere. We have planters for a reason.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Dale

Post by Dale »

jkievlan wrote:
Dale wrote:Blight isn't a danger unless its mature? Have you ever played BTW?
Why yes, actually, I have :) It's a great mod.

Blight doesn't destroy everything in its path until it's mature. If you can prevent it from spreading to (1) a water block on its level then (2) a lava block on its level then (3) a portal, then you can prevent mature blight. If you can't figure out how to stop it from passing all three of those, then you fail at BTW.
All I have is this to say to you, Haha Noob.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dale wrote:All I have is this to say to you, Haha Noob.
Uh, dude...as far as he can tell he's been right in his statements so far. Might want to confirm your own stance before poking fun at others.
Dale

Post by Dale »

FlowerChild wrote:
Dale wrote:All I have is this to say to you, Haha Noob.
Uh, dude...as far as he can tell he's been right in his statements so far. Might want to confirm your own stance before poking fun at others.
I have seen blight ruin two worlds thus far, one in ssp and the other on a server here on the forums. It was not mature blight that made it bad, it was simply stage one. I guess its the level of world damage we consider dangerous. To me blight is very world destructive even stage one.

Edit: Id also like to add that stage one blight when not caught in time easily turns to stage two, and also when not caught/noticed in time/ or left wild for some random reason, for too long is damn near impossible to stop its growth.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

If blight has managed to spread enough to be unstoppable and you haven't noticed it, I'd have to say your eyesight is to blame.
Dale

Post by Dale »

DNoved1 wrote:If blight has managed to spread enough to be unstoppable and you haven't noticed it, I'd have to say your eyesight is to blame.
Yeah comments like this are just flaming, It wasn't my server. In fact I was the one on the server who spotted it. So here's an example based on a true story.
Spoiler
Show
You build an SFS beacon. It spawns blight, you log out. People keep the map loaded being on the edge of loaded chunks. You log in and see blight everywhere. Nuff said.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I guess ill weigh in more specifically on this topic. My experience with blight has been one rather frustrating ride. I seen it cause a server owner to reset his map more than once due to some new player somehow managing to build an sfs beacon causing massive outbreak of said blight. I have since controlled it fairly easy by doing one of two things since then to avoid the mistakes of the past. Those being, build my beacon in a desert/on a deserts edge, OR build it in the middle of a medium sized lake. As far as I know the range on blight corruption is not far from the beacon itself but no limit vertically. (I built a skybase in the clouds to house an SFS beacon, it corrupted the ground underneath it. It either has no vertical limit to spreading or it can travel through vines as that was the only link to the skybase) All in all I have found that blight is something to be controlled or left alone. This of course pertains to Co-Op game play.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Dale wrote:Stuff
My point was that it's pretty difficult for blight to spread to such an extent that a world is simply unusable. Even if blight is created on the edge of loaded chunks, as you mention in your example, it can't spread beyond that. You can always prevent further spread, by constructing a barrier.

Also, even if you do decide to let blight grow unstopped, I don't really see why that's a reason to throw away an entire world. Blight has no effect on players, so the only thing that would be changed is the greenery. Even then, you can create a wall protecting your own little paradise of green if you so wish. Throwing away all the progress that has to be reached for blight to even be created just for the sake of a color is a bit much, in my opinion.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

It cant spread in water, right? If not then largeislands are good plades for blight testing and stuff.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

erikdk321 wrote:It cant spread in water, right? If not then largeislands are good plades for blight testing and stuff.
Experience first, advice later please.

Spoilering the thread title too. Blight has been around for a long while but it's extremely late game content that I don't think many have actually experienced.
erikdk321

Re: Blight: Peoples experience with it. [SPOILERS]

Post by erikdk321 »

Yeah sorry about that, i was saying "right?" to indicate i wasn't sure, will be more clear next time.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

erikdk321 wrote:It cant spread in water, right? If not then largeislands are good plades for blight testing and stuff.
Stage 1 can't. Mature can literally spread over anything dirt. Which is a bit of surprise to me when my test world suddenly became Blightlands. It looked much much more sinister than the Nether.

On aside note, does Blight kill trees? I haven't had the chance or resources to test it recently.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Blight kills leaves up to a certain height from the ground, leaving the stumps behind.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Im happy you guys told me blight actually does grow on water since i wanted to plant some on an island really close to my base D:
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Does anyone know if higher tier sfs beacons have higher chances to spawn blight?
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I'll just leave this here:

Magikeh, Katalliaan, and I had A LOT of fun with mature blight on edolas. Nuf' said.

Honestly, since none of us were sure we knew EXACTLY how it worked, the best part was testing it. Magikeh had a stock of leaf blocks, and even had some of the old metadatas. It was exciting. The next best experience we had was releasing it unrestrained on the server at a location approximately 10,000 blocks from spawn. The Blighted Lands and The Dark Continent were intended to become new areas for darker looking builds. We even gathered a shit load of strata stone from the area for some of our builds
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:I'll just leave this here:

Magikeh, Katalliaan, and I had A LOT of fun with mature blight on edolas. Nuf' said.

-snippy-
Yeah, we had a giant island and I didn't want the blight to affect a smaller island off the coast, but we found out that the blight can tunnel through dirt veins and get pretty much anywhere. So the blight (we were playing with mature blight) managed to find its way along the bottom of the ocean over to my little island... yepp that paradise turned scary pretty darn fast. Anyways, for learning about blight i'd suggest digging out a little room, make sure the entire room is completely stone then place a dirt circuit of sorts for the blight to travel along. It provides some awesome information about the way that blight interacts with stuff and how it likes to spread.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Dale wrote:Yeah comments like this are just flaming, It wasn't my server. In fact I was the one on the server who spotted it. So here's an example based on a true story.
Spoiler
Show
You build an SFS beacon. It spawns blight, you log out. People keep the map loaded being on the edge of loaded chunks. You log in and see blight everywhere. Nuff said.
I can see how blight might become a problem on a SMP server if a player creates it and the others simply ignore it. My worlds are all SSP and I pay attention to that sort of stuff :) But...really? If your SMP players are ignoring blight and letting it run wild, I'd say you need to kick some idiots out of the server. Doesn't change the fact that if you *are* paying attention, you can easily control it.