Guns of Icarus Online

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
PatriotBob

Guns of Icarus Online

Post by PatriotBob »

I enjoy the occasional competitive game now and then, pretty much just League of Legends, but they can be fun from time to time. I think I enjoy the team aspect of it the most, as I've always been a fan of coop game play. It's just fun to play with friends and work as a team.

The recent Steam sell came along, and Guns of Icarus Online was on sale for a 4 pack for ~$7.50, which hey why not right? Steampunk, dirigible combat already sounds like it's worth $2 each. I was greeted buy simple arena combat, straightforward mechanics and a short n' sweat tutorial to make sure I'm not being a retard. Great.

So we all pile on a ship and join our first game.

Holy steampowered testicles, this game is amazing. For being so simple I have never played a game that I enjoying the coop in more. Like most team coop games, it can be infuriating when you get a team mate that is mentally deficient. (You can always just bring a bot, they're at least somewhat consistently dumb) But the payoff for your team operating like a well oiled machine, it's just spot on.

While I'm not sure it's for everyone, and it's $15 on steam at full price. I would say it's definitely worth keeping an eye for when it goes on sale again. (Or just buy the 4 pack for $30 and make your friends play too, it's better that way anyways)
devak

Re: Guns of Icarus Online

Post by devak »

PatriotBob wrote: So we all pile on a ship and join our first game.
It's weakness is that the game isn't that varied or complex. It's super-fun with a bunch of friends on a LAN party or so, but i got bored of it pretty soon after.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

I think it's both a strength and weakness.
It's a strength in that the mechanics players use are simple and straightforward. Very much not complex and easy to pick up for new players.
It's a weakness in that the mechanics are very much just what they seem.

But they complexity builds with play time. The depth comes completely from team (I hate to use this word) synergy and strategy. But I think this is a common issue in games primarily focus on PvP team based combat. Look at League of Legends the mechanics at it's core are really quite simple too. But the complexity comes in when looking at how each member of a team fills their roll. Also how the team as a whole functions as a unit.

I think Guns of Icarus Online could use a little more ship loadout variance, mainly in the non-weapons areas. But the game shines when you working with your other ships to coordinate and flank oppenents. Working with your crew to keep yourself in the air and covering if someone needs it. If you not using the voice chat and you just get on a ship shoot the guns, hit things with a hammer or fly the ship around a bit. But your not communicating and interacting with your team, your missing the best part of the game.
devak

Post by devak »

PatriotBob wrote:I think it's both a strength and weakness.
Yea but LOL(which i play too) has 1 main difference:

LOL has heroes that have various levels of difficulty and allow you -if bored- to step to a new hero and learn new ways of playing. But in guns of icarus, there's not much variance aside from the difference between piloting and running around. Not sure if they fixed this, but basically engineers seem to be a lot more useful than gunners.