Wolf spawns

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jkievlan

Wolf spawns

Post by jkievlan »

The Minecraft Wiki is not entirely clear on this, so I figured I'd take it here. After the wolves have been cleared from an area, do they ever respawn? I notice that if I clear a chunk of trees, I never see wolves in that area again, and I'm not sure if that's just random chance, or if in fact killing off the wolves leaves that area wolf-free much like the mechanic of game animals.
erikdk321

Re: Wolf spawns

Post by erikdk321 »

I dont think wolves (or any other animals) despawn in BTW, correct me if im wrong
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

erikdk321 wrote:I dont think wolves (or any other animals) despawn in BTW, correct me if im wrong
They damn well despawn if I kill them :) My question is, do new wolves spawn afterwards?
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

They had better not! I've been them killing them off whenever I encounter them in virgin lands, under the expectation that there won't be any wolves left to terrorize the animals when I am (un-?)fortunate enough to die and spawn there.

That said, I'm pretty sure they don't. I've spent a lot of time living under forests, and I've never heard new wolves appear where there were once none (and you know how well they make themselves heard!).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jkievlan wrote: They damn well despawn if I kill them :) My question is, do new wolves spawn afterwards?
No.

The only BTW animals that continue to respawn are squid and ocelots.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

FlowerChild wrote:The only BTW animals that continue to respawn are squid and ocelots.
Both (Ocelots and Squids)because they are not an early game food source or a food source at all.
I assume this from the patch notes where other animal spawns where changed from vanilla behavior.
Version: 4.83 wrote:-Removed the ability for animals to respawn. What you get on chunk generation, is all you'll ever get now, and if you exhaust the animals within an area through over-hunting, the only way to find more is to move on.
EDIT to avoid future confusion
Last edited by Epsilon on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Epsilon wrote:not[....]a food source at all.
My delicious wolf chops tend to disagree.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Dorugami wrote:My delicious wolf chops tend to disagree.
The reference was to squid and ocelots. Neither provides edible bits.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.