Multiple End Dimensions Mod

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
VegasGoat

Multiple End Dimensions Mod

Post by VegasGoat »

The dragon is dead on the server I play on, and I failed to make any meaningful contribution towards it. I don't feel I deserve to have endstone and all the goodies that come with it. I was going to kill the dragon in single player to prove I could do it, but I failed there too. I'm bored in my single player world waiting around for enough feathers and pearls to make another attempt and would rather be playing on the server.

So that got me thinking about how to allow more than one person/group to kill an ender dragon on a multiplayer server. It feels like cheating to me to now have access to endstone without having won that fight.

My thought was to make a mod that would link each stronghold portal to a completely separate end dimension, so that there'd basically be 3 ender dragons to kill on a server.

The reason I'm posting here is because I wanted to get feedback on what people thought of that approach, or if anyone had better ideas on how to let other people on a server have a shot at the dragon without impacting those who already did it.
DNoved1

Re: Multiple End Dimensions Mod

Post by DNoved1 »

Personally, this doesn't seem like a very good solution to your problem. Having three ends isn't much more than a single end, and would only allow three players to kill the end dragon. On a server I imagine that would go pretty quickly, leaving you in the same situation anyways.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

3 dimensions isnt that much, i could imagine people just taking on single dragons rather than doing it together, also, the fight on the server wasn't that hard and you really didn't cheat :P The 2 deaths were Dale hitting an enderbob with his pearl and me looking at and enderbob right as i spawned :P
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Yeah for a large server 3 might not be enough. What if it was configurable how many there were? I know minecraft used to not have a stronghold limit, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be too crazy to change the limit of 3 to something else.

Erik, yeah I will probably just end up not worrying about it and moving on to SFS on the server, or at least waiting until I do it in single player. This still seems like an interesting mod project to me, though.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Last I remember, FC had additional plans for Strongholds, and the number of strongholds might have been a significant part of those plans. I'd err on the side of caution, and not mess with the number of Strongholds in a BTW world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ExpHP wrote:Last I remember, FC had additional plans for Strongholds, and the number of strongholds might have been a significant part of those plans. I'd err on the side of caution, and not mess with the number of Strongholds in a BTW world.
Big time this. Messing with that number will seriously mess with BTW in the future.
VegasGoat wrote:I know minecraft used to not have a stronghold limit, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be too crazy to change the limit of 3 to something else.
It's always been 3 since strongholds were first released. If I remember right, Mojang mentioned potentially changing that at one point, and it never happened.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

OK, then. Seems like a mod like this isn't a good idea at the moment. Edit: Well, at least the part about messing with strongholds.
Last edited by VegasGoat on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

What about just two end dimensions? When you enter the portal, if you've slain the dragon, you go to one of them. If you haven't, you go to the other one, where the dragon is always respawned after death. Everyone who hasn't slain the dragon would end up going to the same dimension, allowing for shared fights.
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

You can delete the end dimension file in .minecraft to reset the end on a small server.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

If you just want to restage the dragon fight, you could always request a backup and deletion of the end files, which would be returned after the dragon is slain. of course, there should be a serverwide consensus and notification, so people intending to use the "safe" end won't wander in and get offed by the dragon.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Yeah I know you can delete and recreate the end, but I was trying to think of a way to make a mod to avoid doing that, so people that are using the real end aren't affected.
whitechaos35 wrote:What about just two end dimensions? When you enter the portal, if you've slain the dragon, you go to one of them. If you haven't, you go to the other one, where the dragon is always respawned after death. Everyone who hasn't slain the dragon would end up going to the same dimension, allowing for shared fights.
This sounds interesting. Maybe I could make it optional, add some kind of item that creates a portal to an "unstable" end dimension (create a new dimension just for that portal), where the dimension collapses (is deleted) after killing the dragon or destroying the portal. I like the idea of being able to revisit a boss fight like that. If it uses endstone in the recipe that would prevent bypassing the real dragon fight.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Multiple end dimensions sounds like a disaster, the only reasonable appeasement that I can think of for your problem is to give each Player entity a value that determines if they have defeated the EnderDragon or not, if they haven't then a dragon will spawn when the player enters the end, only attacking players who have yet to defeat the dragon(or who attack a dragon that spawned because of another player). There is still the problem of players taking it on together, but only one player would benefit. It's very unrealistic but it solves your problem.

Whitechaos's idea kind of works, but it still involves an extra dimension.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

A mod that actually relocates the dragon fight to an arena separate from the end comes to mind, where every player who hasn't killed the dragon has to go there before being allowed access to the end.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Yhetti wrote:Multiple end dimensions sounds like a disaster, the only reasonable appeasement that I can think of for your problem is to give each Player entity a value that determines if they have defeated the EnderDragon or not, if they haven't then a dragon will spawn when the player enters the end, only attacking players who have yet to defeat the dragon(or who attack a dragon that spawned because of another player). There is still the problem of players taking it on together, but only one player would benefit. It's very unrealistic but it solves your problem.

Actually that presents it's own problems. If there are player built constructs in the end and the newly spawned dragon swoops through that, there goes someone's enderman farm. Equally if there is a player who HAS taken on the dragon in the end at the same time as someone who has not, what's to stop the veteran from taking pot-shots and not being targeted by the dragon? Another point is that a pre-conquered end will (likely) have a set up in place to minimise enderman spawns outside of any traps and destroyed most if not all of the crystals, making the fight easier for the newbies.

A secondary end has none of these issues, although does present a break in immersion.
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

perhaps you could just hatch the egg? it would spawn another dragon that could be fought, but that still leads to the problem of the dragon wrecking builds in an already settled end. so maybe a smaller dragon, or some other way of distinguishing it from the first dragon, that can't damage harder materials.
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

eternal8phoenix wrote:
Yhetti wrote:Multiple end dimensions sounds like a disaster, the only reasonable appeasement that I can think of for your problem is to give each Player entity a value that determines if they have defeated the EnderDragon or not, if they haven't then a dragon will spawn when the player enters the end, only attacking players who have yet to defeat the dragon(or who attack a dragon that spawned because of another player). There is still the problem of players taking it on together, but only one player would benefit. It's very unrealistic but it solves your problem.

Actually that presents it's own problems. If there are player built constructs in the end and the newly spawned dragon swoops through that, there goes someone's enderman farm. Equally if there is a player who HAS taken on the dragon in the end at the same time as someone who has not, what's to stop the veteran from taking pot-shots and not being targeted by the dragon? Another point is that a pre-conquered end will (likely) have a set up in place to minimise enderman spawns outside of any traps and destroyed most if not all of the crystals, making the fight easier for the newbies.

A secondary end has none of these issues, although does present a break in immersion.
Precisely why I suggest just "two" ends. People build in the end, so you can't just wipe the world. Another solution is to use only the original end dimension, but place another island several thousand chunks away. It's not likely to happen, but people might be able to connect them. Even if that does happen, the idea of finding a second island where the dragon doesn't respawn isn't farfetched, and perhaps endstone could be used to calibrate the portal to get away from the dragon island.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

eternal8phoenix wrote:snip
I guess I don't spend enough time in the end, I forgot the dragon could break blocks. Maybe simply removing that ability? I also like that egg hatch idea, however it doesn't really force players to fight the dragon.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

whitechaos35 wrote: Precisely why I suggest just "two" ends. People build in the end, so you can't just wipe the world. Another solution is to use only the original end dimension, but place another island several thousand chunks away. It's not likely to happen, but people might be able to connect them. Even if that does happen, the idea of finding a second island where the dragon doesn't respawn isn't farfetched, and perhaps endstone could be used to calibrate the portal to get away from the dragon island.
I was agreeing with you mostly dude. :P I think that having a second end or region is a better idea than a re-spawning dragon in the original end to trash builds.
Yhetti wrote:
eternal8phoenix wrote:snip
I guess I don't spend enough time in the end, I forgot the dragon could break blocks. Maybe simply removing that ability? I also like that egg hatch idea, however it doesn't really force players to fight the dragon.

Removing that ability is a no-no I'd say. It makes pillaring to destroy the beacons hard, even more so with hc bouncing, so as to encourage arrow usage. Plus the main reason he can destroy blocks (and the reason the red dragon never happened) was (I heard) because flying pathfinding is bloody difficult and team Mojang couldn't get it to work. The dragon kept getting stuck on things. So by letting it destroy blocks, and pass through endstone/obsidian they avoided the issue.
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

eternal8phoenix wrote:I was agreeing with you mostly dude. :P I think that having a second end or region is a better idea than a re-spawning dragon in the original end to trash builds.
Oops. I came off differently than I meant to sound. I meant my post to concur with yours and banish the thought of "wiping" the end.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

a mod that allows you to use ender egg to recreate the end dimension will be nice ^^