Minecart unloader

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
screally

Minecart unloader

Post by screally »

Has anyone had any success with these? I had the notion they were kind of difficult to do?

I've just proof-of-concept tested a design of mine, its not nearly finished (I am having to go around and turn all the switches on and off in the right order, but hopefully I can synch something up for that with timers), but essentially, minecart with stuff on board comes in, gets unloaded, water carries away the stuff, it gets replaced and then sent on its way (the last part probably being the most difficult lol!)

Of course if theres a really obvious, easy way, and I'm being really thick, then I won't bother posting it, but if its more complicated, I won't mind sharing the design.

EDIT: just ran over how I would hook the redstone up for it in my head; overall specs for the prototype are 2 detector rails, 4 BDs, a piston, an RS nor, a T flip flop (so I guess another BD) and quite a few redstone repeaters, and of course a lot of redstone.
Atomic

Re: Minecart unloader

Post by Atomic »

Explain how you managed to unload the minecart automatically
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Atomic wrote:Explain how you managed to unload the minecart automatically
Block dispenser/hopper
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

If the events have to happen in reverse order (ie 12345 -> 54321), there's a way to do it. See the video below (skip to around 10:20)

Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
will_holmes

Post by will_holmes »

Minecart unloaders are simple, I don't get why people make them so complicated. Run a straight track (the input rail) up to a hole in the ground, with a detector rail at the end. Put a block dispenser facing over the hole to the side at right angles to the track, and run Redstone from the detector rail to an inverter, and then that sends a signal to the BD.
Assuming that the minecart is travelling at enough speed (a powered booster on the input may be necessary), the BD will suck in the minecart for a second and cause the items to drop in the hole. The inverter has a dual purpose of making the BD suck in the minecart, and giving a small delay so the cart is in the right position when the signal is turned off.

Next, add a booster rail to the side of the hole, directly opposite the BD, and keep it constantly powered with a single Redstone torch, easily concealed directly underneath. Run normal rails alongside the hole from this rail, and make sure that it is in the same direction as the input rail, but shifted to the left or right by one block, depending on where you put the BD. Add any normal block (stone, dirt etc.) to the other end of the powered rail.
When the minecart is sucked in, the detector rail turns off of its own accord. This makes the BD spit out the empty minecart. When this happens, the cart locks on to the nearest rail, which is the booster rail directly opposite. The normal block gives the boost a direction along the output rail.

I hope I'm clear with the description, but I may upload a picture of it tomorrow. Obviously, you can use it as a part of a larger contraption.
Last edited by will_holmes on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
screally

Post by screally »

hehe i didn't use a hole for mine, but essentially I have a very similar design, but way more complex. Thanks for the input!

Though I wonder, how much of the contents actually fall into the hole? That was one issue with mine, and why it is so complex, as it adds water to the surrounding area where the minecrat is dropped, so all the loot is drained, then adds track opposite like you describe to boost the minecart away

EDIT: yeah i checked your method and the contents of the minecraft just spill everywhere. From what I can see its about a 5% collection rate.

Mine tested with a full set of 64-stacked iron had over 50% collection, in the prototype, and I'm sure I can raise it to about 90% or more
screally

Post by screally »

Ugh update, just finished wiring it, and after a few kinks (probably one of the fewest of any of my projects actually) its now working like a well oiled machine, and looks like it can get 90% plus retention rate (100% at lower numbers).

A quick rundown: 1)Minecart travels over detector, and ends up on a non-track piece (stopping it) infront of a block detector.

2)The block detector contains a solid block, and is activated by the detector block, sucking up the minecart and laying down the solid block

3) The contents of the minecart are spilled inside an area circumscribed by some walls and finished off by the block that was placed by the block detector.

4) The signal then activates an RS nor latch, which in turn pulls back a piston allowing water to flow down from above into the circumscribed area, washing away the contents of the minecart

5) A long delay circuit shuts off the water, by resetting the nor latch, and then passes the current to a division: the first split activates a T flip flop, which activates 2 more block dispensors to place down the track opposite where the minecart was destroyed. One of the track is a booster rail.

6) The circuit continues to 3 loops, which activate the original BD 3 times, cycling out the minecart, and then the block, pushing the minecart on the booster rails

7) A final rail detector further along the track de-activates the T flip flop, removing the rails, as the third cycle removes the dirt block, allowing new carts to enter the unloading area.

Screenshots comming
will_holmes

Post by will_holmes »

screally wrote:hehe i didn't use a hole for mine, but essentially I have a very similar design, but way more complex. Thanks for the input!

Though I wonder, how much of the contents actually fall into the hole? That was one issue with mine, and why it is so complex, as it adds water to the surrounding area where the minecrat is dropped, so all the loot is drained, then adds track opposite like you describe to boost the minecart away

EDIT: yeah i checked your method and the contents of the minecraft just spill everywhere. From what I can see its about a 5% collection rate.

Mine tested with a full set of 64-stacked iron had over 50% collection, in the prototype, and I'm sure I can raise it to about 90% or more
Hmm, I don't remember it being that bad. I might have forgotten something important. Eh, I'll get back to you tomorrow about it when I have access to a Minecraft enabled computer :)

EDIT: See, this is why I love this mod. I'm studying to become an engineer, so this feels like my kind of game. :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I tried this a long time ago, but back then I was way less familiar with redstone and BTW, and the Dispenser wasn't so handfull as it is now, so it end up being quite big :
Spoiler
Show
Now I coudl easily make it in a 10x10x5 space :)

Have fun ;)
screally

Post by screally »

Wow, inspired!

The 'well' is definately a good way of getting around collecting all the drops.

You say the wiring is big behind it though?