X Rebirth

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
jorgebonafe

X Rebirth

Post by jorgebonafe »

Its out right now. I can't buy it cause I just got KSP and I'm a bit poor at the moment, but it seems awesome, and I'm probably going to get it as soon as I can...

If anyone gets it I'm interested to know what you think about the game...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Larmantine

Re: X Rebirth

Post by Larmantine »

Damn, me too, just bought Rocksmith 2014, but this is looking awesome.

EDIT: OK, this looks too good to be true. I am blown away by it. Please someone buy this and share the experience.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Here is a lets play of it. The characters and their animations are quite ugly but other than that it seems great.
Spoiler
Show
Edit: Typo
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Err I wouldn't get too excited guys, the general opinion is that it sucks.
Just look at the thread titles:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=127

However there is some hope that it can be good after the bugs and UI issues are fixed, which is when I might buy it. Also it's highly moddable, so even if bug fixes can't save it, we at least get a nice engine out of it with which to create awesomeness.
Last edited by grimper12341 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

Haters gonna hate. Just remember the start of BTW in MCF ;)

I think it is way better designed than the previous ones. Still, i can't judge the late game, since i only got about ~6h into it.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I'm still waiting for more reasonable criticism about this game. Seriously look at my signature, everyone bitching about this game have hardly put in enough time to do a proper review. So until I see some real reviews, I am standing on the side of.. people are fucking idiots.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

Ok, i'll elaborate on my previous response.

First of all, if you didn't play the previous titles, you may want to wait for the first bigger-bugfix-patch. The games from Egosoft always come out buggy. Seeing how AI dependant this title is, it is no real surprise though.
On the flamespread: there were over 10k people playing this game at the same time, judge for yourself ;)
If you buy it now, you can assume the bugs will get fixed at some point. Egosoft is both, developer and publisher. And they rely on their previous work and restarted it with Rebirth (7 years of development, new engine, and so on)

Now to the actual game. They fixed many of the design flaws of the previous titles. I don't want to spoil too much, so i'll give only some pointers.
1. They got rid of the workaround called SETA (fastforwarding the game).
2. The Highway system is very well done (wich is important, if you can't fast forward).
3. They simplified many things. Many people are raging about having only one ship, but i think it's very good decision. Just re-read one of the posts from FC about too many variables in a game ;) (and there are more reasons for it)
4. They dumped all of the features which were brought in because people screamed to make the game play itself. (Like autotraders, whick killed tradingstations, after that they brought in a markets where ppl were afking and waiting to get profit)

So, after just playing 6h i'm very optimistic about further play. The only things that annoyed me (besides station conversations, which are already on the TODO-list), were PEBCAK (using the wrong tools anyone?).
Spoiler
Show
5. don't expect to just rely on trading at the start (one of many flames i read). You don't have the means to do it, trading is not designed to be full-time job if you have only 1x vessel
//Edit:
7. They are heavily using techniques to skip loading screens (forced animations at stage-switches and so on) - some people are blurting out that those animations are annoying, but if you know the background behind it... It's just a "meh" moment. I couldn't decide what's better for my tastes (immersion vs. optimal loading time)
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

At the moment I am waiting for some reviews for it, My first look at it is it does not look like an X game this is based on what is said on the forums etc
There are quite a few design changes I personally don't like
however I will wait and see what happens at this point, it might be a good game with a rough launch or it could be too hyped up which lead to wrong expectations

those who have only spent an hour in game, have not spent enough time with it. I think the minimum time to get a feel for an X game is about 4-6 hours
any less then that and you have achieved effectively nothing

and if it falls flat I still have x3 and x2 :P
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Alright. I've played this a bit, and I'll tell you this much.

The bugs WILL be fixed. Egosoft has a great reputation for sticking with their games. X:R won't be abandoned, and anything that is gamebreaking or even annoying will be resolved.

However, (and this is a big one) if you played X3 and expected X4... you will be brutally disappointed. I fell into this trap, in spite of the devs stating otherwise. This is not X4. It is a game set in the X universe. Newcomers to the series may find some interesting gameplay, but us loyal old-timers... well, the X series is done for us. Stick with X3. Seriously. I know Bernd said 'less complication, same complexity', but the truth is the the complexity has been reduced. I've tried. I've tried to stick with this. But, the flaws and proponderous mini-games are just too much.

If you've never played X, you're in for a real treat. If you've played previous X installments... Well, my condolences. At least we still have X3, and some small part of me still believes in Egosoft.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

The post above me is the exact reason as to why I am waiting. How much of X3 have you really played? Have you built your first station? Have you done anything other than play campaign?

I will say this, from what I have seen so far almost everyone who is crying or complaining about this game, has yet to play for more than 6-7 hours. When has Any X game you played ever been a 6-7 hour game? I guarantee that majority of the "This game is shit!" Are people who have not figured out it's complexity. I bet that most, if not all players are lost only because the UI is still a nested menu interface.

Unless someone on here can tell me how much they've enjoyed building a space empire... and played beyond 7 hours. you're opinion is worthless.

Edit: The supper buggy release is a different matter entirely. A game as massive as this, it's skyrim in space! think about it.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

This is all too bad :(

I came in at X3:TC and it took half a year to figure out everything. Wow what a trip! Capturing pirate capitals, fighting xenons with my fleet, the
Spoiler
Show
hub
!

I will keep an eye on rebirth to see if it evolves into the play I enjoy. The X fans are very devoted so in time there will be adjustments available.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

kregoth wrote:-snip-
Look, man, it's just an opinion. Take it or leave it. If you want to wait for the reviews, then wait for them. No need to snap.

I don't think (nor did I write) that the game is shit. It isn't. It's solid. It's just not what I was hoping for, and that was my error because Bernd was quite up front about the change in direction they were taking. I'm just sharing with folks who might be expecting another iteration on the same design like I was. Also, given that it's just an opinion, your experience may not match mine. In fact, even the professional reviews may not paint a good picture of what you'll experience individually. That's the beauty of X games.

Anyway, no need for the knee-jerk response. This isn't the Steam forum. We're all friends here.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

As a sidenote, this game has a strong Mod- / Extension support. There's already some action* in the egosoft forums. Makes me actually want getting involved into modding myself again. But it will have to wait until i really get the grip on the gameplay going on.

I got into the game without any expectations, and i'm happy with it. You know what, .... *starting X*

//P.S. * this includes "Easy-diamonds" kind of thing, obviously :rolleyes:
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Ulfengaard wrote:
kregoth wrote:-snip-
Look, man, it's just an opinion. Take it or leave it. If you want to wait for the reviews, then wait for them. No need to snap.

I don't think (nor did I write) that the game is shit. It isn't. It's solid. It's just not what I was hoping for, and that was my error because Bernd was quite up front about the change in direction they were taking. I'm just sharing with folks who might be expecting another iteration on the same design like I was. Also, given that it's just an opinion, your experience may not match mine. In fact, even the professional reviews may not paint a good picture of what you'll experience individually. That's the beauty of X games.

Anyway, no need for the knee-jerk response. This isn't the Steam forum. We're all friends here.
Sorry if it seemed like I snapped at you, It wasn't really supposed to be directed at you, just the whole "I played for a bit" opinion is frustrating to see a billion times.

Playing for a "bit" and calling the game a disappointment is a bit much. I bet the X game you want is their, it just going to take time before you find it. haha

Also I've been reading the forums, another patch was just release, small but they are fixing the thing. Apparently a lot of the problems people are having are just due to UI bugs. You are able to trade anything without having to dock and talk to an NPC, but it seems a bug has made that a lot harder than it should be.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

kregoth wrote:I bet the X game you want is their, it just going to take time before you find it. haha
Man, I hope so. I've already got my chips in, so I won't fold on Rebirth. I also believe in Egosoft, so I'm holding out hope. I'm still trying to give it a go because I'm wondering if it won't grow on me somehow. We'll see.

I'll keep the bit about the trading in mind. My favorite part of X3 was the trading empires, and so I'm having a hard time adjusting to the new design as well as the bugs which they're still working on (cap ship goofy-ness, etc.).
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

jorgebonafe wrote:Its out right now. I can't buy it cause I just got KSP and I'm a bit poor at the moment, but it seems awesome, and I'm probably going to get it as soon as I can...

If anyone gets it I'm interested to know what you think about the game...
Its better for you, as far as I know its bugged as hell, in the german forums they seem to kill themselves ^^
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

I seriously wouldn't jump to conclusions by the stuff going on in the forums right now. The game is not even a week out, and people are judging the feature-scope... So yeah.

Today came another patch, my somehow-damaged Trader didn't get hit anymore (hoping to repair it soon).
After ~11h* ingame, i still only encountered 3 crashes (and those were in the first ~4h or so hours), maybe 4-5 times reloading because of bugs (hey, let's fly a drone, wait why is the station angry at me now...).

Yeah, it's still buggy, but people complaining about the feature scope? A guy who actually made at least some sense, claimed to have played 81 hours (~96h after release? Yeaaah...).

The most annoying part for me is the "Console-port" dumbshit, yeah, they made it gamepad compatible - so what? Look at the previous UI, it is not any different. Except beeing in a circle formation. (Orders were somewhat long => a seperate window, just as trading is right now in XR). I'm not really a Gamepad player but i actually enjoy playing this one with it. It helps forgetting you're just on your PC if you don't have to think about some shortcuts or traversing tree-menus (though i use some of the quick-ones on the keyboard). It extended the "i'm commanding a ship" feeling here.

I'm just hoping, Egosoft won't listen to the community right now and fix bugs for the time. Atleast they already stated, that they won't include any SETA thing.

* i'm not even done with the "campaign" yet, no real trading, no stations... So that's about the small-scope, eh, BS part.

Adding a quote to my "modding" statement from some long-time X-modder:
Spoiler
Show
Hers how i see it.
Egosoft doesn't deserve the hate people put on them. Yes, they screwed up, Yes, they didst listen... However They are listening now, and they are fixing there mistakes as best they can...

They have provided us with years of entertainment, and i mean years - i haven't had a single other game series get more game hours then X has, and very few games get anywhere near the modding potential, its just one of them games, and in a world where games like X are vanishing, i dont want to abandon a community that really needs saving just because some people think "egosoft deserve it"...

To everyone who thinks that, Go to <Blank></Blank> and please shut up. Yes, X:Rebith is not what we hoped for on release, But my god the modding potential is nearly 100x that of any previous X game and im not exaggerating, This engine is amazing, its only the currently implemented mechanics that are at fault for the backlash - Trust us, we will make rebirth something you want to play. No matter what you think we should do instead.

Im hoping a moderator will just lock this thread please.
Link to the source: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=351692 (there are way more statements confimring my first impressiong, god, i need some holiday to get into this stuff)
//edit: just to communicate my feeling, upgraded to Collectors edition. Sending a small signal at least.
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

I believed the hype. I bought the game. It was sort of fun, apart from the horrible stability and constant bugs. Now patch 1.17 has broken trading... sigh.

Anyway, at least one decent review!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5gKq_Bhc4c