Do you work in Computer Science? Wanna help me?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
agentwiggles

Do you work in Computer Science? Wanna help me?

Post by agentwiggles »

Hey all,

I've got an assignment for a career class where we're supposed to interview a person who's working in our field (CS for me.) It seems like we have a decent amount of people on this forum who work as programmers, and even some as gamedevs. Would anyone in that field be willing to favor me with 15-20 minutes of your time so I could ask you a few questions? I've got similar threads at a couple different online communities I frequent, but I feel like the people here are generally like me in terms of interests and so on, so I'd really love to use one of the forum members here if I could.

Ideally we could conduct the interview over a chat program or something - forum PMs being a generally crappy way to do something like this. I'll also say now that one of the requirements for this paper is the inclusion of contact info and the name of the company where you work, just for the sake of full disclosure. I would of course promise not to do anything beyond adding it to my paper with that info, but I would of course understand if that's a deterrent for some people.

Anyway, if you'd be willing to help me out, I'd really appreciate your time! Shoot me a PM or respond to this thread if you're interested.
garrak_x86

Re: Do you work in Computer Science? Wanna help me?

Post by garrak_x86 »

You seem to be somewhat in my timezone, sooo (you might want to clarify that part)...

1. i won't agree if the contact / company informations go public. (The risks here are minimal for me though, since i'm not really a "public figure" like FC is, atleast in this community)
-- still, i won't share my address / telecommunication information. Just not my pair of shoes (Email + Name if really necessary has to do) => not going to deal with that.
2. I'm probably not the best candidate, i'm not really doing Science work. I'm more in the "get shit done, try not to shoot yourself while at it"-department. So if you want to talk about theories, i probably can't help that much. Just for reference, i got experience in PHP, JavaScript, Python, somewhat Java and working in the industry since about 3,5h years (not including previous exp of course)
3. I'm not really used to writing full sentences in english anymore, so you may have some fun autocorreting stuff ;)

Yeah, i prefer chat. (remember? getting shit done ...)

//edit: you get +1x for the worms avatar -1x for it beeing stoned and +1x for beeing active in this community and not getting banned for "so long" (on the trust level). Just FYI ;)

//edit2: yeah, writing "my english got shitty" and making atleast 2 mistakes in it. Nice. Need more sleep.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

I'd have no problem with doing something like this, though it does depend on scheduling of course.

I work as a consultant and have 5 years of dev experience as well as a bachelor degree in CS from the University of Oslo, so I guess I fit the "Computer Science"-field description somewhat...

Of course, actually doing dev work for a living does put anyone in the "get shit done"-department. Fancy academic theories are fine, and sometimes useful, but in the end it's all a hack. ;)
Lots of planets have a north...!
AdmiralJonB

Post by AdmiralJonB »

Elensaar wrote:Of course, actually doing dev work for a living does put anyone in the "get shit done"-department. Fancy academic theories are fine, and sometimes useful, but in the end it's all a hack. ;)
As someone who works in the academic area, this is so true. All of the stuff that gets me praise is because I don't follow academic conventions.

And as much as I'd like to, I'm afraid I cannot. A bit complex to explain as to why, so all I can say is sorry :(