Simple Mob Grinding (aka ocelots really need a mob cap)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ancilangeli

Simple Mob Grinding (aka ocelots really need a mob cap)

Post by Ancilangeli »

So I just spent a few hours caving and noticed the lag was getting awful. Not sure why I decided a reboot couldn't hurt. When that didn't work I surfaced to see what was going on and to my horror there were hundreds of ocelots all over my island. In killing them I gained about thirty levels without really feeling like I was earning it and couldn't help but feel like I was using an exploit.
Just thought I would share.
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Simple Mob Grinding (aka ocelots really need a mob cap)

Post by FlowerChild »

Your input is valued and appreciated.
caiman123

Post by caiman123 »

Our Overlords have spoken!
All praise the ocelots!
ion

Post by ion »

blame mojang about that bug. happens with wolves too,but i 've never seen that bug ever
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Im pretty sure this can happen with all mobs.
In Viokis letsplay thousands of endermen spawned and thousands of squids spawned on Mindcrack once.
Ancilangeli

Post by Ancilangeli »

just in case this came across as a suggestion it wasn't intended that way, i just wanted to point out a possible exploit and definite memory leek issue, partially in case anyone else was experiencing and partially because exploits are generally frowned upon by this community.
ion wrote:blame mojang about that bug. happens with wolves too,but i 've never seen that bug ever
i kinda figured it was a vanilla bug, as most things are (ooooohhhhh i just now realized this isn't really mod related when you break it down other than my realization that i would never have deforested my island or moved that far underground if not for btw... my apologies FC)
erikdk321 wrote:...thousands of squids spawned on Mindcrack once.
i may never leave my island by water now

i suppose this, like the topic in question in my sticky, can be locked down now
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

This happened to me once too, it was on an old server I had where my friend was working on building a giant 128 cube out of stone bricks(who knows...) and I would let him set it on peaceful a lot. Well whenever we turned mob spawning back on, there would just be assloads of ocelots in the local jungle.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I doubt that's the same thing. Ocelots apply to the mob cap rather than the animal one if I remember right (I remember noticing that and thinking it was weird awhile ago), but are considered peaceful creatures.

So, if you go to peaceful (not that you can anymore in BTW), no regular mobs can spawn, and the ocelots get the full mob cap all to themselves.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Go go cat farm!

So, how much is a cat's soul worth then, if anyone knows?
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote:I doubt that's the same thing. Ocelots apply to the mob cap rather than the animal one if I remember right (I remember noticing that and thinking it was weird awhile ago), but are considered peaceful creatures.

So, if you go to peaceful (not that you can anymore in BTW), no regular mobs can spawn, and the ocelots get the full mob cap all to themselves.
I'm 100% sure that ocelots were not peaceful creatures at this point, I remember we had the most gigantic jungle and I explored so much of it. Whenever it was in peaceful there were never any Ocelots, when I turned it back to Normal (sometimes) there would be an ocelotplosion. Not that this is actually relative to game-play anymore.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Haha, well, they are peaceful after all. They just spawn under the guise of being hostile ;)

Speaking of which, if you were somehow able to prevent any other hostile mobs from spawning (and therefore filling up the hostile mob cap), a cat farm would be quite efficient (effectively having no cap and all that :P).