Minecon and BTW

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Tsugumi Henduluin

Re: Minecon and BTW

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

To be fair, if people are having fun with MC in its current form, is there really any harm in that? I mean, there are slightly more important things in the world to be upset about than some people's choice of how to spend their free time. Not like it affects us anyway. Not to mention I'd personally argue that I'd rather see tens of millions of people play Minecraft than spend hundreds of hours in MMOs. At least they're doing something creative this way.

On a sidenote, I actually wonder what Notch's role is in the company nowadays. I watched the interview with him yesterday and I really got the feeling he's something of a one-man company inside Mojang nowadays. Just doing his own thing in the background, not really caring much for what goes on around him. Not really sure if that's a good thing as he probably works best that way, or if it's a shame because I want him to slap some sense into the rest of the company.
The interview really made me realize just how much I actually miss the guy. He might have his flaws, but at least he more or less knew what he was doing.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Tsugumi Henduluin wrote:To be fair, if people are having fun with MC in its current form, is there really any harm in that? I mean, there are slightly more important things in the world to be upset about than some people's choice of how to spend their free time.
Ah...the "it's just a game so what it matters" argument.

Seriously: don't be an ass man. Games are what I am personally passionate about. Thus, putting forth an argument that attempts to invalidate their significance is not exactly a thing I'm fond of.

I'm pretty sure I could systematically invalidate every single thing that you care about in life and argue it is ultimately insignificant. Of course, I wouldn't do that as it would be a truly dick move.
Tsugumi Henduluin

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

My apologies if that's how I came across as that wasn't my intent. It's just that I personally don't see why people get so upset over how other people like to spend their free time. I fully agree with you that games are a proper form of entertainment and that is exactly why I feel it's a bit of a "dick move" to more or less insult people for preferring one form of that entertainment over another which you personally prefer. It's like telling people their taste in music or art sucks and that they are bad people because of it. Just doesn't sit right with me. Their playing vanilla MC doesn't affect us in any way shape or form, so why attack them?

But I'll go back into lurking mode before I say any more stupid stuff again. Just know that I'm truly sorry if that comment offended you as I respect you immensely and had absolutely no intention of attacking your passions. Poor choice of words on my part I'm afraid... not the first time it has happened and it'll unfortunately not be the last.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Tsugumi Henduluin wrote:My apologies if that's how I came across as that wasn't my intent. It's just that I personally don't see why people get so upset over how other people like to spend their free time. I fully agree with you that games are a proper form of entertainment and that is exactly why I feel it's a bit of a "dick move" to more or less insult people for preferring one form of that entertainment over another which you personally prefer. It's like telling people their taste in music or art sucks and that they are bad people because of it. Just doesn't sit right with me. Their playing vanilla MC doesn't affect us in any way shape or form, so why attack them?
Actually, my apologies here, as I didn't see the comment on the previous page that you were apparently responding to. I didn't quite get what you were talking about with the above, so I went back to see where anyone had been insulting the people that play a certain way, as I hadn't seen anything like that come up in this thread. I'll agree the post previous to yours was over the line. Not so much that I take offense to it, but it does give me a better idea of where you're coming from.

However, even with that, I don't see anyone referring to people that play or prefer vanilla as "bad people", or anything even remotely resembling that. I personally also think that people that like most mainstream Hollywood films have poor taste and don't know any better. I don't think they're evil or subhuman or what have you, but I'm also not going to turn a blind eye to what I personally believe is bad media just because I don't want to offend their sensibilities.

Do they have a right to their opinion? Sure. I/we also have a right to ours that they're watching utter crap :)
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Weird, they made the stream video private and now i cant find anywhere else to watch it :/
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote:When Sony and Valve do it, they probably have a programmer or 5 working on the side on *just* that
Just to jump in here and emphasize your point, in Sony's case they bought an entire company that specialized in it. There's doing it right, and then there's purchasing a technology company to ensure you're not just doing it right, but doing it right before anyone else is and setting the bar while doing so.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Thorium-232 wrote:Just to jump in here and emphasize your point, in Sony's case they bought an entire company that specialized in it. There's doing it right, and then there's purchasing a technology company to ensure you're not just doing it right, but doing it right before anyone else is and setting the bar while doing so.
Well, they better get it right this time. The PS3 launch was a mess :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx