Technicalities Regarding Hibachi Cook Time

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Dorugami

Technicalities Regarding Hibachi Cook Time

Post by Dorugami »

So I've set up a huge foundry recently for processing large amounts of stone, and to maximize on space, I've put crucibles on the very edges of my hibachi setups. Assuming a single crucible checks in a 3x3 area of the layer directly beneath it, some crucibles only have 4 or 6 hibachis cooking them.

So the question that really bugs me is, if 1 hibachi underneath the crucible is 100% cook time, by how much does each successive hibachi 'counted' under it increase it by? I'm only posting this in case someone's mathematically figured it out, as I'm already conjuring a set-up in creative to figure out just how much and if my experiments conclude before I have an answer, I will share it.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Technicalities Regarding Hibachi Cook Time

Post by FlowerChild »

Gods I hate creative mode :)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

If you want to look at it mathematically, use a Kiln. From what I've observed they dont just have a progress bar, or rather than speeding up the breaking anim thingy when cooking something It'll just jump to the nth breaking animation. So (for science) If you were to figure out what each of the animation's frames were at, then counted the time it takes between each of the changes of frames. Then you could easily find how long it takes to cook a block per hibachi addition! :P If this made no sense what so ever, ill whip together a video... possibly with the science ;)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Please no video man. The thought of making this stuff common knowledge has me grinding my teeth :)

If someone is so obsessed with this that they want to figure it out for themselves, I'm certainly not going to stop them, but if you guys press this to the point where people are tossing around formulas for the consumption of new players, it's a sure fire way to get me to throw some additional randomness into the equations to fuck y'all over ;)

I'm a firm believer that some things remaining ambiguous and left for the individual player to play around with is a big part of the gameplay experience. Reducing everything to precise mathematical equations, especially "natural" components like fire takes something away from the experience IMO.

I'd rather not mess with the equations at this stage to make them less precise as that would break a lot of builds, but yeah, I'd really prefer this kind of thing not go too far so I don't feel compelled to do so.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:Please no video man. The thought of making this stuff common knowledge has me grinding my teeth :)

If someone is so obsessed with this that they want to figure it out for themselves, I'm certainly not going to stop them, but if you guys press this to the point where people are tossing around formulas for the consumption of new players, it's a sure fire way to get me to throw some additional randomness into the equations to fuck y'all over ;)

I'm a firm believer that some things remaining ambiguous and left for the individual player to play around with is a big part of the gameplay experience. Reducing everything to precise mathematical equations, especially "natural" components like fire takes something away from the experience IMO.

I'd rather not mess with the equations at this stage to make them less precise as that would break a lot of builds, but yeah, I'd really prefer this kind of thing not go too far so I don't feel compelled to do so.
Guess it went a bit over my head that you of all people don't like the really detailed things out there. Ah well, guess it's a personal endeavor after all.

I wouldn't mind this closed now I suppose, although I do thank magikeh for the suggestion. Guess I'll test with both Kilns and Crucibles just for consistency.
FlowerChild wrote:Gods I hate creative mode :)
Well certainly, I don't really use creative all that much. Makes building design more of a surprise in survival. I'm only really forced to do it every now and then when I'm consumed with testing out technicalities like this, since testing out something on a large scale like this with multiple variables in play would consume too much on my time otherwise. :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dorugami wrote:Well certainly, I don't really use creative all that much. Makes building design more of a surprise in survival. I'm only really forced to do it every now and then when I'm consumed with testing out technicalities like this, since testing out something on a large scale like this with multiple variables in play would consume too much on my time otherwise. :P
Right, which discourages this kind of testing ever being done, keeps more things a mystery, encourages more figuring out things on the fly in an improvised manner, restores opportunity for unexpected events to occur during that process resulting in gameplay actually occurring (such as an unexpected creeper attack or whatever), and makes me hate creative mode all the more :)

I realize people use it for testing things before doing them "for real" in survival. That's what I hate about it. Games are already 'safe zones' in terms of limited consequences to your actions. Building a padded room around that padded room just to be super duper safe bugs the shit out of me, and IMO erodes away at suspension of disbelief by making the game world feel less "real" since you're basically flipping a switch on and off to selectively violate game rules. It's basically "god mode" legitimized through making it a menu option.

I use creative mode myself to rapidly test new features when I'm implementing them, so I definitely appreciate that ability. The thing is, it's what I would consider a development tool on any other project I've worked on, not something for player consumption.
Dorugami wrote: Guess it went a bit over my head that you of all people don't like the really detailed things out there. Ah well, guess it's a personal endeavor after all.
I have a love/hate relationship with them. I *need* to know the way the world works, but in that I consider myself a sacrificial lamb, because in terms of the gameplay experience, and my overall enjoyment of what I am creating as a player, I'd rather not know.

Game equations are often times abstractions of highly complex natural events that a human wouldn't be able to just sit down and figure out with a stop watch. We often times try to craft those equations to provide the impression of something "real" without bogging down performance and our own dev time by trying to make it utterly realistic.

Thus, when you start delving into the equations, you're effectively pulling back the curtain on the wizard and seeing that he's just some old dude pulling levers to trigger special effects, potentially significantly degrading your sense of "reality" while playing a game, and thus eroding at suspension of disbelief.

IMO, the best game rules are the ones that just feel right while the player remains oblivious to what's going on beneath the surface. It's almost inevitable that if you hold up a magnifying glass to what's actually occurring, you're going to be disappointed in some way or another.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:Right, which discourages this kind of testing ever being done, keeps more things a mystery, encourages more figuring out things on the fly in an improvised manner, restores opportunity for unexpected events to occur during that process resulting in gameplay actually occurring (such as an unexpected creeper attack or whatever), and makes me hate creative mode all the more :)

I realize people use it for testing things before doing them "for real" in survival. That's what I hate about it. Games are already 'safe zones' in terms of limited consequences to your actions. Building a padded room around that padded room just to be super duper safe bugs the shit out of me, and IMO erodes away at suspension of disbelief by making the game world feel less "real" since you're basically flipping a switch on and off to selectively violate game rules. It's basically "god mode" legitimized through making it a menu option.

I use creative mode myself to rapidly test new features when I'm implementing them, so I definitely appreciate that ability. The thing is, it's what I would consider a development tool on any other project I've worked on, not something for player consumption.
Mmm, well I've certainly never looked at it from that perspective. I suppose I'll take a page of your book and not use creative for this, but unfortunately I'll probably not be able to sleep soundly at night if I don't solve this mystery for myself. Guess I'll slowly work my way through it in survival, should make for an interesting build at least.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dorugami wrote:Mmm, well I've certainly never looked at it from that perspective. I suppose I'll take a page of your book and not use creative for this, but unfortunately I'll probably not be able to sleep soundly at night if I don't solve this mystery for myself. Guess I'll slowly work my way through it in survival, should make for an interesting build at least.
I have an interesting history with creative. When it was included in vMC, I watched a ton of players that would never have dreamed of installing or using something like TMI, suddenly start using creative heavily, and I think "legitimizing" it through making it a menu option in vanilla was what caused that to happen.

It blurred the line significantly between what was "cheating" and what was "legit", so yeah, while I appreciate it as a development tool, I absolutely despise it as a game feature :)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Personally I find that nothing spurs creativity as much as building fortifications under duress.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Mud

Post by Mud »

FlowerChild wrote:Thus, when you start delving into the equations, you're effectively pulling back the curtain on the wizard and seeing that he's just some old dude pulling levers to trigger special effects, potentially significantly degrading your sense of "reality" while playing a game, and thus eroding at suspension of disbelief.
But are min/maxing and theorycrafting such a bad thing if it's an aspect of gaming that is genuinely enjoyed by a portion of the playerbase?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mud wrote:But are min/maxing and theorycrafting such a bad thing if it's an aspect of gaming that is genuinely enjoyed by a portion of the playerbase?
For the individual player that really digs it? Not necessarily, no, although I am sure there are many that would enjoy not doing so more that just get lured into it by the easy access.

For the rest of the player base that ends up just pushing the easy button and using the resulting data? Yes.

You'll note above I'm not trying to stop anyone doing it. I just don't want it to become common knowledge or be too accessible for the average player. I obviously put a lot of thought and work into suspension of disbelief and such information directly undermines it. At that point, I may as well just make the equations publicly available and be done with it.

But I suspect that wouldn't be much fun for the min/maxers either now would it, because the fun in that comes from figuring this stuff out on your own...

Oh.