Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TheGreatIntelligence

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

Minecraft 1.7! I now have even more reasons to continue playing the shit out of Skyrim!
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

We appear to have another rushed update due to Minecon coming up.
i can see this one easily going to 1.7.4 or so.

with preparations for Minecon there's going to be a bit of delay till next patch.
meanwhile the community is filled with bugs, exploits and general problems.

it was really not finished, even in the pre-release there were too many problems for it to be fully released.

this is a nice old mess we have here, reminds me of 'the portal 2 update'...
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I took a look the other day at the MCF release thread for 1.7 just out of curiosity, and all hell had broken loose in a "everything is broken! AAAAAHHHH!!!" kinda way.

Beyond the rushed update (which was certainly a big mistake with no apparent reasoning behind it), this is also what you get for completely rewriting a few core systems "just because". So glad I already decided not to update BTW to new vMC versions anymore as I'd be having kittens right now otherwise.

They just keep rewriting, breaking more shit in the process, and taking forever to get around to fixing it, favoring rewriting additional systems instead. There's still lingering bugs created during the 1.3 client/server merger for Pete's sake, but they just keep on keeping on. It's rather comical now that I'm no longer tied to it.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Funny how this terrain update was also rushed due to Minecon...
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

Fixing bugs is something they focus on every update, i don't know what your on about there.

I think I've had it figured out for while though, this list has stayed true for ages now...

Minecraft Development Plan:
1. "going to fix some long standing bugs"
2. "added fun new thing during lunch"
3. "we're doing a themed update!"
4. skip analysis and design moving straight into developing new features
5. "Hey look! horses and cats and a Batman that poops out rainbows!"
6. repeat 5 & 6
7. half do a more advanced feature
8. "hey look we started working on villages"
9. release, never evaluate previous work...
10. "next release is all bug fixes"
11. Bask in the praise of fans!
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RandomObj3ct wrote:Fixing bugs is something they focus on every update, i don't know what your on about there.
Hehe...yeah. When the rate at which you add new bugs exceeds the rate at which you correct old ones, I do not think "focus" can be claimed :)
EmptyNight

Post by EmptyNight »

FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...yeah. When the rate at which you add new bugs exceeds the rate at which you correct old ones, I do not think "focus" can be claimed :)
You can still claim that they focus on bugs though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

EmptyNight wrote: You can still claim that they focus on bugs though.
I don't think a focus on creating them is what's really meant by the common usage of the word :)
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

FlowerChild wrote:I don't think a focus on creating them is what's really meant by the common usage of the word :)
I do think it's nice though that they've finally found the one thing they're good at. We all need something like that.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I've started playing on a 1.7 server (not because it's a good update, would rather have it 1.5, but because i wanna play with some of my friends), and i got the idea of selling glowstone and stainedclay, and immidently i remembered that a witch farm easily can give you stacks upon stacks of glowstone, and the new mesa biome makes stainedclay easier to get than dirt.
This made me very sad to think because glowstone (and stainedclay i guess) used to be so rare and people would give everything just for a few pieces. But it has become such a shitty block and without any sort of work you can get infinite amounts.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

So, I flew around in a few creative worlds..

Wow, I think this terrain generator is even more boring, despite the new biomes.

The issue here is that biomes are clumped together based on humidity, so you just see the same 2-3 types of biomes over and over till you cross a humidity value boundary. Then you get another 2-3 types of biome over and over. Also I got sick of extreme hills, taiga, forest and plains. Haven't found a single mesa yet, or flower plains, only one jungle, a single endless savannah and a tiny roofed forest. Uuugh.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: The issue here is that biomes are clumped together based on humidity, so you just see the same 2-3 types of biomes over and over till you cross a humidity value boundary.
Called it :)

"Oh noes! Deserts are next to tundra! Let's put them so far apart that players will be unlikely to ever see the two in the same game!"
Gears

Post by Gears »

FlowerChild wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote: The issue here is that biomes are clumped together based on humidity, so you just see the same 2-3 types of biomes over and over till you cross a humidity value boundary.
Called it :)

"Oh noes! Deserts are next to tundra! Let's put them so far apart that players will be unlikely to ever see the two in the same game!"
I remember prior to 1.8 that was the way biomes generated. I'm assuming that they just clumped that back into the 1.8 biome system and figured it should work fine.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

On the server i have been playing on we had to walk 6000 blocks to find a jungle, 6000. And getting those 6000 blocks was extremely boring because of the biome-next-to-biome thing.
The only thing i have seen that was cool was a mountain that generated up to Y 190.

I think most people will be bored of this terrarin in less than a month.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

erikdk321 wrote:On the server i have been playing on we had to walk 6000 blocks to find a jungle, 6000. And getting those 6000 blocks was extremely boring because of the biome-next-to-biome thing.
The only thing i have seen that was cool was a mountain that generated up to Y 190.

I think most people will be bored of this terrarin in less than a month.
6000 isn't that much though, if the game would favor exploration. In TerraFirmaCraft, jungles are at least 7500 blocks away and the mod favors exploration to find the right biomes.

Problem with Minecraft is that everything is so abundant, they don't give you a reason to explore and you feel annoyed having to explore a measly 6k blocks.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

It actually was about 7000, but it felt extremely grindy to find and search for the hotter biomes, you had nothing to look for and the only biomes i saw on my way there was forests, plains and roofed forests :/
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

FlowerChild wrote:[...]
It basically takes nerfing anything off the table as a means of balancing, which means you can only increase the power of things to try to match something else if you make it overpowered.[...]
You just can't see the masterplan!
Wait until "Minecraft Z" is announced.

I cann see the changelog before my eyes.
[Minecraft Z.1.4] added Genkidama, so you can finally xtreme-xplode everything [google for nuke explosion]. To activate you need to use the following key-combination: Hold BL, D, F, Up, B, D, F... (sweep).
It also uses 10 Level for one usage.
[Minecraft Z.1.4.4] removed level-usage from the Genkidama, since players kept bitching about it.
[Minecraft Z.1.4.4b] added a new shortcut for Genkidama, it was kind of hard to remember anyways.

But the Server-Mods really spoiled the "instant-transmission"-feature...

I mean come'on, can't you see the path this is going? ;)
0player

Post by 0player »

Wow. This release helped me convince the rest of my friends to switch to BTW. By quoting release changelog.
Nice job here, Mojang.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shhhh....Grum told me at one point that nobody would play BTW anymore when I asked him if Mojang would have any objections to not updating to future vanilla releases.

Don't burst his bubble :)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote:Shhhh....Grum told me at one point that nobody would play BTW anymore when I asked him if Mojang would have any objections to not updating to future vanilla releases.

Don't burst his bubble :)
To be fair, them still providing the old launcher with the 1.5.2 version helps.

But still : *plop*.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote: To be fair, them still providing the old launcher with the 1.5.2 version helps.
Oh, indeed it does, and I was sure to thank him for making the decision easier for me not to update anymore :)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote: Oh, indeed it does, and I was sure to thank him for making the decision easier for me not to update anymore :)
We all do :-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Soooooo...
Dinnerbone is working on some sort of streaming in-game thing.
Thoughts?

I personally think its pretty unneccecary, but that might just be me...

Also, when you go to this website, you'll understand why Minecraft has gone to shit.
reddit.com/r/minecraftsuggestions
Mud

Post by Mud »

Reddit isn't unique; giving the playbase any sort of platform and voice generally results in a medley of suggestions, some good, most terrible. We even saw it here...
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

erikdk321 wrote:Soooooo...
Dinnerbone is working on some sort of streaming in-game thing.
Thoughts?

I personally think its pretty unneccecary, but that might just be me...
I think it was announced during Minecon, as a way to sorta "unify" the community and streamers. Honestly, I think that while largely useless for most of us, it wou-
Scratch that counter. Thinking now, it would be useless, and more bulk for the rest of us.
erikdk321 wrote:Also, when you go to this website, you'll understand why Minecraft has gone to shit.
reddit.com/r/minecraftsuggestions
Not a reddit user, but I have learned to stay as far away as possible from that particular location.

Source(s): JoyStiq