Hardcore Headwear SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Dorugami

Re: Hardcore Headwear SPOILERS

Post by Dorugami »

Daisjun wrote:I never really noticed the distinction between rain and storms
To be honest, the thunder, lightning, and oh SH~ level of mobs usually gives it away for me. Much more subtle when you're underground though, but only when the lapses between thunder are long.

I had a rather unexpected encounter with hats that way though. My base is on a vast forest with minimal water pools, so I was expanding one such pool to enough depth that I could bombard it with dynamite (not sure if that would work, but meh what the hell when in doubt, C4). So I was at the bottom with nothing but leather on my back and a water breathing helmet. I was just getting ready to enter the pool again when thunder hit, and I was like, "ok, mobs float in water anyway so I'm cool.". Turns out I've been living on land for so long I've forgotten the danger of hats. Got stuck with one on my head with nothing but a mattock to beat it back.

I don't go digging water pits in a storm anymore.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Dorugami wrote:
Daisjun wrote:I never really noticed the distinction between rain and storms
To be honest, the thunder, lightning, and oh SH~ level of mobs usually gives it away for me. Much more subtle when you're underground though, but only when the lapses between thunder are long.
For some reason I just never really experienced the amount of mobs that made me think 'ok, it's a bit odd that there's all these mobs around during the day, something must be up'. The thunder and lightning are obvious but I always regarded it as an extension of the rain effect rather than a distinct weather status. I just experienced a storm when I was playing before and tried hard to actually pinpoint the moment when the storm had started and stopped, it's certainly not well defined.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Daisjun wrote:For some reason I just never really experienced the amount of mobs that made me think 'ok, it's a bit odd that there's all these mobs around during the day, something must be up'. The thunder and lightning are obvious but I always regarded it as an extension of the rain effect rather than a distinct weather status. I just experienced a storm when I was playing before and tried hard to actually pinpoint the moment when the storm had started and stopped, it's certainly not well defined.
Noticing when a storm has popped in certainly is a vague bit of work, I really only notice one when the first thunder sound is played. As for the mobs...well I walk around a lot, and with a base the size of a level 1 map, I cross the 24 block boundary pretty often which results in quite a lot of mobiles wandering around when it should be 'daytime'.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Dorugami wrote:Noticing when a storm has popped in certainly is a vague bit of work, I really only notice one when the first thunder sound is played. As for the mobs...well I walk around a lot, and with a base the size of a level 1 map, I cross the 24 block boundary pretty often which results in quite a lot of mobiles wandering around when it should be 'daytime'.
Ah ok, that makes sense. Our base is completely fenced off and lit up so the only time we'd ever be able to notice it is when we're out exploring, which is only usually when we're out looking for a village or other landmark. We have a pretty sedentary play style.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dorugami wrote: Noticing when a storm has popped in certainly is a vague bit of work, I really only notice one when the first thunder sound is played.
Yeah, that's the thing. It acts as a very on/off toggle in terms of gameplay (the mob spawning and now the squid aggro), so I'd like the visual indicator to be a bit more pronounced to correspond to that.

Ideally, I'd like players to simply look at the sky and instantly say "oh shit...a storm", without any ambiguity about it.
ion

Post by ion »

messing with the colours of the lightmap works at least in the texture pack that i use you see the difference
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, that's the thing. It acts as a very on/off toggle in terms of gameplay (the mob spawning and now the squid aggro), so I'd like the visual indicator to be a bit more pronounced to correspond to that.

Ideally, I'd like players to simply look at the sky and instantly say "oh shit...a storm", without any ambiguity about it.
For some reason, that made me think of a giant Notch head descending from the sky :p I look forward to that "oh shit" factor you mentioned. Sounds thrilling.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Dorugami wrote:For some reason, that made me think of a giant Notch head descending from the sky :p I look forward to that "oh shit" factor you mentioned. Sounds thrilling.
THE CUBE IS GOOD! THE HALF-SLAB IS EVIL!
Spoiler
Show
I now want a skin for my steve of Sean Connery in a Nappy.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
RobinHood3

Post by RobinHood3 »

Question regarding hats; is there any way to get them to disengage once they've gotten hold of you? I've died many a time by being swallowed up by a hat and then being unable to do anything; I can't get to the surface, but continually go down, down, down into the sea. Hitting them seems to do no noticeable good, even with a stone axe (the best weapon I've managed to get so far - loving the hardcore spawn/hardcore hunger thing increasing beginning difficulty by 600%!).
Once they've gotten hold of you, is there any way to get out?
Thanks!
Kudos to FC for his awesome mod :) Longtime supporter and it's just gotten better and better. Looking forward to RTH!!!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just beat on them man. Your stone axe may suck against their rubbery hide, but if that's all you got, it's your only option.

Really, you should be avoiding getting in that situation to begin with. Particularly in the early game, squid = death, but once you understand the basics of their behavior it's very easy to avoid them entirely. In the very late game, they're largely reduced to being a nuisance once you have the proper equipment to deal with them.
jagoly

Post by jagoly »

Eyup. Diamond sword can get rid of them quite quickly. Once food isn't an issue, they're not too big of a problem at all. The fact that only one of them can actually attack you at a time makes groups of them no harder to deal with than singular squidies.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

A relevant tip I learned just recently: The same trick to attacking other mobs and animals applies here; don't spam click!

Just like everything else, hats have a brief moment of invincibility after being hit. Waiting between your attacks can make the difference between breaking 3 stone axes on a single squid, and punching your way out of one bare handed.
Six

Post by Six »

ExpHP wrote:A relevant tip I learned just recently: The same trick to attacking other mobs and animals applies here; don't spam click!

Just like everything else, hats have a brief moment of invincibility after being hit. Waiting between your attacks can make the difference between breaking 3 stone axes on a single squid, and punching your way out of one bare handed.
Not to mention tearing through your hunger at a crazy rate.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Six wrote:Not to mention tearing through your hunger at a crazy rate.
True fact: Up until two weeks ago, I thought Squids directly attacked your Hunger bar. Like the eating sounds were them eating the food right out of you. :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ExpHP wrote: True fact: Up until two weeks ago, I thought Squids directly attacked your Hunger bar. Like the eating sounds were them eating the food right out of you. :P
Nah...if I had done that, I definitely would have included gagging sounds to go with it :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Someone said squids aren't a problem after you have a diamond sword. I almost always have one, and I agree in a way, but recently I've observed how dangerous it is to go boating at night....if you're stuck out in the middle of nowhere and the hats have broken all your spare boats and they are trying to be on your head, you're screwed.
-J-

Post by -J- »

I had my first run in with the hatsies while I was trying to get to my base just as the moon was rising and noticed that the river between me and my shelter had 6 squids swimming in it. I really hoped that I'd built that bridge like I had planned. But then again it's much more fun to learn it the hard way. Fun times!
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
Six

Post by Six »

That actually makes me think, what do 'squid safe' bridges look like? I've been pulled off some pretty tall stuff, but would a rim that cuts line of sight into the water make it safe enough?

Actually, has this been around long enough to make a thread about that and not worry about it as a spoiler?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote:That actually makes me think, what do 'squid safe' bridges look like? I've been pulled off some pretty tall stuff, but would a rim that cuts line of sight into the water make it safe enough?

Actually, has this been around long enough to make a thread about that and not worry about it as a spoiler?
Yeah, sure man. I don't think squid specific spoilers are an issue anymore as that's something players run into relatively quickly :)
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

jagoly wrote:Eyup. Diamond sword can get rid of them quite quickly. Once food isn't an issue, they're not too big of a problem at all. The fact that only one of them can actually attack you at a time makes groups of them no harder to deal with than singular squidies.
I read this and immediately worried that the next release would add boots and gloves to the squidy ensemble to correct this terrible injustice.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

HAH! I saw this on reddit and just had to post it. On topic, the reach on squid is amazing. Seeing them grab animals and latch on it pure entertainment for me now. Thanks FC.

warning, it's a large image.
Spoiler
Show
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

OH MY GOD DESTIN_ETERNAL IS BACK!!!!!!!!

but yeah, and don't block their attacks with a silk touch mattock, bad idea....
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGatesofLogic wrote: but yeah, and don't block their attacks with a silk touch mattock, bad idea....
Haha...noob :)

That story did give me a good chuckle during that LP with Icy ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Now if only squid would attack skeletons, then I could walk around at night in peace :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Well, it's not like there's anything to eat there. It doesn't make sense to attack something you can't eat.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.