Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
dawnraider

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah, I doubt that vMC can ever be fixed unless they pull their heads out of their asses and stop basing everything on what the fans want (and I doubt that will happen, as their current path seems to be the industry standard). We should be thankful that FC has the gift of being a true designer, and has the ability to say "fuck off," which has ultimately made BTW one of the most fun games I've ever played. And he does it all for free. So all hail the great and powerful Spiky and Tentacled Eldtritch Overlord.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

Mojang are only half the problem, the community hales them like gods whenever they add trivial content and Mojang keep doing it to be popular.
i find it similar to the rats pressing the pleasure lever experiment, as they are killing the game in favor of praise.

on the topic of stained glass, at least it's something that people will use (see carpets, cats, witches and fireworks). The texture needs a lot of work though, they were doing the right thing by using the normal glass overlay for consistency but using it as is has left stained glass looking very odd.

Example of usage:
Spoiler
Show
Haven't had the chance to test it myself for performance (@ 4.4 GHz i won't notice it i suspect) but from what I've heard it's hurt performance for many users, in a game where many users are already having issues as nice as it is to have the bug fixed it might not be worth it.
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
Six

Post by Six »

RandomObj3ct wrote:Mojang are only half the problem, the community hales them like gods whenever they add trivial content and Mojang keep doing it to be popular.
i find it similar to the rats pressing the pleasure lever experiment, as they are killing the game in favor of praise.

on the topic of stained glass, at least it's something that people will use (see carpets, cats, witches and fireworks). The texture needs a lot of work though, they were doing the right thing by using the normal glass overlay for consistency but using it as is has left stained glass looking very odd.

Example of usage:
Spoiler
Show
Haven't had the chance to test it myself for performance (@ 4.4 GHz i won't notice it i suspect) but from what I've heard it's hurt performance for many users, in a game where many users are already having issues as nice as it is to have the bug fixed it might not be worth it.
Looking at that, I think it might actually be time for them to retire the old glass texture. It was designed for the old system and simply can look better now. They could even leave in the original block and panes for 'compatibility' and just make smelting sand give a block using a new texture with a bumped metadata of the old.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I dont know about that, I've always thought the Minecraft glass texture was very "minecrafty" and almost could have been the minecraft logo as much as the grass block.
But I do see your point, the texture does look weird compared to staindedglass.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

The first problem with pandering to the fan base is that it becomes very addictive very fast, and the second being the first few times it actually works as the pandering is similar to the main design.
Almost without knowing each iteration slowly pulls the design off course in an attempt to satisfy this new hunger from the fans. All the while pushing the creators onto higher and higher podiums.

Such a system cannot support itself indefinitely- so how long before the lot comes crashing down?

The sad thing is Dinnerbone must of been fairly talented to have been accepted into the Mojang staff, yet he doesn't use that skill and became pretty much hopeless as a result- essentially the justin bieber of game design.

BTW- those who are interested, my sig is an extract from Stigmata Martyr. The meaning behind the lyrics strikes a certain resonance regarding Dinnerbone and Co.
Spoiler
Show
A heroine, a deity
on heroin, or vanity
To jack their personality,
beyond normal humanity.
A crowd of massed humanity
bow and worship diligently.
He's built a loyal following
and they steer him thoroughly.

But jealous man plots from the pews,
no need for valid righteousness.
One slightly truthful word set free,
will turn the tides quite easily.
Our accusations need not be
what would bury mortal man.
The sins of our own deity are tiny,
but on these we stand.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

erikdk321 wrote:I dont know about that, I've always thought the Minecraft glass texture was very "minecrafty" and almost could have been the minecraft logo as much as the grass block.
I agree, but I think they could go with making them slightly transparent(now that the system actually supports that), they just look so derpy alongside the new ones, like a window that has some sort of jittery pixel noise attack.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Yhetti wrote:
erikdk321 wrote:I dont know about that, I've always thought the Minecraft glass texture was very "minecrafty" and almost could have been the minecraft logo as much as the grass block.
I agree, but I think they could go with making them slightly transparent(now that the system actually supports that), they just look so derpy alongside the new ones...
I agree, both with that the Minecraft glass texture was very "minecrafty", and that it now looks derpy. Sigh, one day the Mojang story will be taught to programmers why you need a business partner. It's like if Wos, had invented the mac, then got bored and left his kid brother in charge.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

So I took a peek at the latest update, safe to say the most exciting part was that boat controls seem to be fixed.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

New snapshot
Change log in spoiler
Spoiler
Show
New command: /setworldspawn or /setworldspawn <x> <y> <z>
Sets a new point as the spawn for all players (even if they have never joined the server or are offline, but wont override beds)
Added two new saplings, both obtained from their respective tree types
Acacia Sapling, dropped from acacia leaves which share the oak leaves texture, which grows trees found in savannas
Oak Roof Sapling, dropped from oak roof sapling leaves which share the oak leaves texture, which grows trees in roofed forests
Added two new logs
Acacia Wood, which has a texture resembling jungle wood, but with less green
Oak Roof Wood, which shares its texture with spruce wood
Added two new leaves
Acacia Leaves
Oak Roof Leaves
Music now loop in jukeboxes
Changed puffer fish texture
Maps now slightly protrude outward in item frames
And have an item frame texture on the sides (and front, if map is not fully loaded)
Boats have been reverted to the previous WASD controls
Players can now "sprint" in boats, which speeds up the boat

Bug Fixes: []

MC-3871 - Cauldron water does not put out fire / damage blaze
MC-11027 - Axes accelarate the speed at which Slabs are broken
MC-12769 - when typing /help with a number higher than 4, it produces the wrong message
MC-14521 - Boats cannot be steered by using the "left" and "right" keys
MC-15688 - Axe breaks all slabs in adventure mode. No drops for stone.
MC-26151 - Minecraft has advice on an error report that should be deleted.
MC-29424 - Players appear offset for other clients after going through nether portals
MC-29510 - New trees that spawn in Savanna drop wrong sapling and are unable to be reproduced
MC-31031 - Spawn eggs can be used on top of water, but not lava
MC-32250 - Typo on "Unable to Load Worlds" screen
MC-35722 - Master sound level resets on reboot and RP Change
MC-35728 - Numbers render behind enchanted stacked enchanted items
MC-35735 - Splash potions making throw sound but not breaking sound.
MC-35805 - OS X: Pressing Del / Backspace on signs shows "DEL" character instead of deleting characters
MC-35856 - Multiple Background Songs Playing At One Time / Automatic music overlap
MC-35879 - German Umlauts and ß are not correctly centered at sign
MC-35883 - Partially Transparent Maps
MC-35910 - Typing ƒ, ∞ œ, π, Ω, ≈, √, ≤, ≥ and many more symbols on a sign or in the chat crashes the game.
MC-35918 - "Format Error" In the Book and Quill
MC-36096 - Cake FallingSand Entity not landing correctly regenerates chunk
MC-36133 - "Force Unicode Font" is displayed in currently active language, whereas "Done" is displayed in highlighted language
MC-36141 - "Format error" in language selection menu
MC-36327 - RCON Messages: TranslatableComponent

Notable bugs:

MC-35619 - Sound warnings in console
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

lostone1993 wrote: Boats have been reverted to the previous WASD controls
Players can now "sprint" in boats, which speeds up the boat
Lol...I see: because that little dingy just wasn't fast enough as is and minecarts not sufficiently underutilized after horses :P

I really get a kick out of devs that feel they can only "balance" in one direction: MO'POWAH!!!!!
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

genius wrote:Players can now "sprint" in boats, which speeds up the boat
Wat

*Sprints in boat, falls out, is consumed by carp
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Faster boats... This is just even more WTF, as Flowerchild pointed out, this will make minecarts even less useful. What are these people thinking? Boats were already extremely fast but this is ridiculous.

Just tested the boats and holy crap they're fast. I dont even see what downside this has, sprinting makes you lose hunger faster but i dont think sprinting in boats has any downsides which makes it even more OP.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just another example of how being slaves to the majority opinion is a really bad design philosophy.

It basically takes nerfing anything off the table as a means of balancing, which means you can only increase the power of things to try to match something else if you make it overpowered. "We can't possibly make horses weaker as that will piss people off, so we have to make boats stronger".

With time, this winds up meaning that everything in your game will get more powerful for the player, and that your game will become easier and easier. It's kinda like the Forge mod thing where they wind up upping the power of their mod features so that they won't become obsolete relative to other mods. Nobody wants to go through all the work of creating something just so that it won't be used.

Sometimes you really have to be the "bad guy" as a designer in order to do the right thing.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Inb4, mine carts are renamed bullet train.

Seriously, following this design philosophy, mine carts are next, and will go at the speed of sound. lol.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hopefully mojang will soon realise that a good portion of their user-base doesn't like being able to travel faster than their PCs will load chunks.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

What I find sad is that it would not surprise me in the least if they gave the arrow keys full control over Minecarts. I can just picture it now. Powered rails would fail into obscurity as a tool only needed for unmanned carts. And there would be one-block 4-way intersections where you would just hold the left or right arrow in the direction you want to turn as you approach.

And with that, the last remaining interesting design puzzle for newcomers in Minecraft would be gone.

......oh wait, Horses.
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

ExpHP wrote:*snip*.
That would be when I really start hating Mojang. Up until now everything they've added has been fine by me (mostly because I rarely play MC now. Mostly Terraria and Skyrim). But full control over minecarts would definitely get me raging. And that is damn hard to do considering I lost my soul many years ago and am no longer capable of emotion.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

Snapshot 13w43a
Spoiler
Show
Complete changelog:

Improved Minecraft Realms support
There now is an option to force unicode font on the language selection screen
Cauldrons with water in them will now put out burning entities, but deplete some of the water
Added /setworldspawn and /setworldspawn <x> <y> <z> to set the world's default spawn point
Maps in item frames now display the item frame again, but still on a full block scale
Jukeboxes now loop
Changed the texture for pufferfish
Added 2 new types of saplings, including new wooden log types and leaf types
Can be planted in flower pots
Roofed Oak trees and Acacia trees
Roofed Oak trees need to be planted in a 2x2 grid
Crafting either log produces oak wood planks
Acacia wood is a darker, red-er jungle wood; Roofed Oak wood look the same as Spruce wood
Leaf types look exactly like oak leaves, but they drop different saplings

Fixed some bugs:
Fixed being unable to type certain characters in chat under certain conditions
Fixed cauldron water not putting out fire or damage blazes
Fixed axes breaking slabs faster and being able to destroy them in adventure mode
Fixed typing /help with a number greater than 4 producing a wrong message
Fixed boats being un-steerable using the left/right keys
Fixed a crash message mentioning playing in the browser as a possible cause but you can no longer play in the browser
Fixed players appearing offset for other clients after going through nether portals
Fixed spawn eggs not being usable on lava
Fixed a typo on "Unable to Load Worlds" screen
Fixed a few sound-related debug messages being left in the console
Fixed the master sound level resetting after reboots and resource pack changes
Fixed stack size numbers rendering behind enchanted items
Splash potions making throw sound but not breaking sound.
Fixed pressing del or backspace on OS X while editing signs showing the "DEL" character instead of deleting characters
Fixed multiple background songs playing at the same time sometimes
Fixed umlauts and ß not being correctly centered on signs
Fixed maps being partially transparent
Fixed various characters typed on signs or in the chat crashing the game
Fixed a "Format Error" in the Book and Quill
Fixed Cake FallingSand entities not landing correctly corrupting the chunk
Fixed "Force Unicode Font" being displayed in the currently active language, but "Done" being displayed in the highlighted language
Fixed a "Format error" in language selection menu
Fixed RCON messages: TranslatableComponent

"jukeboxes now loop" - i like this idea more then i should, time to go bury jukeboxes below peoples homes.

boats are still not working right, is this the new "removed herobrine' thing?
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Roofed Oak? Let's give it the same mechanics as big jungle trees, oh and make it look the same as spruce.

I have no problems with the Acacia, except it looks ugly as sin (not that there are a billion options with 16x16 cubes, but whatever.)

It's stuff like that that bothers me... little crap. Just like it's the little details in BTW that I give the most praise for. Do the new trees add anything to the game? Acacia I suppose I could argue yes, though honestly we really don't need more options for wood colors, it does help solidify the new Savannah as a legitimate new biome. Roofed oak is a jack off that adds nothing new.

If Mojang wants to continue their new content bender, cool, whatever, this .jar ain't climbing past 1.5.2 anyway. But for goodness sake, experiment a little guys. You have a highly successful game here, it isn't going to be selling much more than it already has, use it as a guinea pig, try some new game mechanics. Swap out the oak trees with vines on them for mangroves that need to be rooted in the water. Add big ass baobab trees that require more arid climates and/or stone to grow.

Dammit Mojang, don't repaint your 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and tell me your selling me a new car.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Aaaaaand 1.7 prelease is out, yeah! or not :/
https://mojang.com/2013/10/minecraft-1- ... the-world/

What really annoys me about 1.7 is that I can't avoid the changes. I have been able to ignore the previous features such as horses and comparators but I can't ignore the biomes. This is a sad day indeed.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

erikdk321 wrote:Aaaaaand 1.7 prelease is out, yeah! or not :/
https://mojang.com/2013/10/minecraft-1- ... the-world/

What really annoys me about 1.7 is that I can't avoid the changes. I have been able to ignore the previous features such as horses and comparators but I can't ignore the biomes. This is a sad day indeed.
Lol, wow... That's what they call a terrain update? Wow... just wow... I give up.
JuanXo_

Post by JuanXo_ »

Omg, after reading a good deal of this thread I'm starting to feel hate towards Mojang...
NINJA KO NO KOKORO
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

JuanXo_ wrote:Omg, after reading a good deal of this thread I'm starting to feel hate towards Mojang...
Don't. Just feel sorry, and move on. There's nothing left to do to prevent them of doing stupid shit.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

What really annoys me is that 1.7 was supposed to be "The Ocean Update", but instead they shrunk the oceans and focused on things that was unneccesary :/
I was actually i bit excited to see what they would do to the empy oceans (or see how they would break them)
:(

25/10
Minecraft 1.7 is officially out! Lets all go cry in a corner together :'(
MAZD1X1E

Post by MAZD1X1E »

erikdk321 wrote: 25/10
Minecraft 1.7 is officially out! Lets all go cry in a corner together :'(
I just wandered into this thread to say this, but you've already done it, so we can all get on with wondering what'll be fubar by the time 1.8 rolls around...