Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gunnerman21

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Gunnerman21 »

With the old launcher i found out that anyone could play minecraft if they just disable their internet connection. You just put in a random username and password and play the game offline whether or not you payed. I don't know what people were thinking buying "hacked" copies of minecraft... the game was obviously free ;)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Gunnerman21 wrote:With the old launcher i found out that anyone could play minecraft if they just disable their internet connection. You just put in a random username and password and play the game offline whether or not you payed. I don't know what people were thinking buying "hacked" copies of minecraft... the game was obviously free ;)
You know that in order to play the game, the launcher needed to verify your account to download the game stuff? So you have to at log in at least once with your account.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

The new stained glass, red sand and the fact that you can now see ice through water is kinda cool.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I massively disagree sacrife, being able to hide water with ice was a super uniq and cool thing. It meant that you could use it for underwater buildings where glass looks ugly and the new stainedglass has a big problem which is that you can see the sides through it.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

New snapshot
13w42a
change log from wiki in spoiler
Spoiler
Show
Stained Glass and Stained Glass Panes have a smoother/transparent texture
Witches now spawn outside of witch huts (Halloween Related)
Rewritten the sound engine
More different letters can now be typed on signs
Rewrote the sound system
Being able to add new sounds using resource packs
Resource packs can now add, remove, supplement, randomize and group sounds using JSON

Notable bugs:
The durability bar of enchanted items is not shown.
MC-35629 – When moving an enchanted item in the inventory the text of currently applied potion effects disappears.
Hostile mobs / Other players only looking in one direction / walking backwards on SMP
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I think the witches spawning everywhere is another atempt of making the game harder, which is mostly an annoyance as most of Dbs changes.
One thing i do like though is the fixes to stainedglass. Im still not convinced that staindedglass was a good addition but this fix will atleast make it usefull.
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

erikdk321 wrote:I think the witches spawning everywhere is another atempt of making the game harder, which is mostly an annoyance as most of Dbs changes.
It looks like it is about +/-1 week from Halloween, rather than constantly. However:
lostone1993 wrote:Rewrote the sound system
If they fixed the overlapping sound problem, that would be a step forward for playing on less optimized (laptops with FGLRX drivers) systems.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Hopefully this rewrite will fix the problem that some people have that leaving the area which a lot of sound is in will give about 0.5 fps for a few seconds... Which FC actually completely fixed in that one sound updatey thing. I really miss that sound fix when I play other mods...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Well the glass looks better

And the new sound options seem pretty neat- I've not had too much luck with different sounds in the past, but this could be quite fun I think. (If it works it'll be the best part of 1.7)

(Random off topic note about why I'm psyched up about the sound update- before MC I spent a lot of time messing about with flash animation- there's a fairly large library of sound Fx in my external drive) Guess my weekend is sorted.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

So I started working on the Deco Addon again, and I decided to compete with vmc's stained glass, I spent a long time getting the vertices where the panes meet to look really great and I think they actually look way better than vanillas stained glass. I think it says something about the current quality of minecraft these days.
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Wow good job on that one!
After some consideration the other night, I'm starting to see the uses for the staindedglass.
http://imgur.com/U7Xb3Tp
After the changed texture it looks good with staindedclay.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

erikdk321 wrote:Wow good job on that one!
After some consideration the other night, I'm starting to see the uses for the staindedglass.
http://imgur.com/U7Xb3Tp
After the changed texture it looks good with staindedclay.
I've had it in the add-on for a while now but I never really used it, not my favorite feature, but I always thought it looked best with mineral blocks, but after the new texture probably better on clay.
Ingenious Mekanism

Post by Ingenious Mekanism »

I find it annoying how they keep adding aesthetic changes like stained glass that serve no purpose, I mean, how many of you will go into your survival world and think
"Hey you know what, I'm going to make a green house with green windows"
I'd much rather have mouldings and corner blocks added to vMC than stained glass windows.
I'm still waiting for those lanterns and flags that we were promised WAY back in Alpha/Beta. That and I'd also love to see some secret doors and rustic weaponry like trebuchets and ballista so that faction warfare is more interesting when attacking an enemy base.
Tick tock, goes the clock.
Tick tock, hold that thought.
Tick tock, out of time.
Tick tock, end the rhyme.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I can see what you mean, aestetic is good, but not if you over do it.
They haven't added anything with significant gameplay impact for a very long time. Horses have a gameplay impact but not in a possitive way (not using minecarts or underground tunnels is a bit of a gameplay impact right?)

Im excited to see what they break next week!
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

They really should have refined existing content post 1.0.0 (Official Release), made the API and left new content to the modders. Anyone begging for new content in vanilla could then be directed to a mod with their desires or be taught how to make their own custom content.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

CreeperCannibal wrote:They really should have refined existing content post 1.0.0 (Official Release), made the API and left new content to the modders.
But instead they opted for implementing random silly features leaving loose ends left and right, creating a plugin distribution platform that no one asked for and making modders life more of a pain in the process, because why not?
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

As FC has said before, why the hell dont they hire a designer? They have the cash.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

erikdk321 wrote:As FC has said before, why the hell dont they hire a designer? They have the cash.
The answer is simple and relates back to something else I say often: everyone thinks they're a designer.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote:The answer is simple and relates back to something else I say often: everyone thinks they're a designer.
I wish I had my own designer, not just for minecraft, for like everything. His name would have to be fabio though.

I really think their recent approach to the game has been so hands off, it's like they just make the game, but they don't even like to play it. "What stuff can we put in this update that looks nice, does nothing, and will get us through this version number as quickly as possible?" As I have sat and watched I've seen BTW and the BTW community produce many of the things that Vanilla produces better, and sometimes even first: examples: The anvil renderer, Hoppers, the current way the rail system works(minus the redstone update), not to brag but the stained glass panes that I worked on last night are the shit, better than horses, sixes item frame maps.....

It's the classic scenario where the people who are not paid are doing a better job than the people who are being paid simply because they don't like doing it.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Seems to relate a lot to what I use when training people; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence

With regards to design, the minecraft team are very much on stage 1. There is no push to recognise incompetence as the positive feedback they get drowns out any constructive criticism, and it's much easier to accept positive feedback than swallow your pride and reflect honestly on your skills.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Yeah, I never post constructive criticism because when people do it, it either gets completely ignored, drowns in "yeeeeaa another great snapshot from Dinnerbunny" or the comment gets spammed with hate
Ingenious Mekanism

There is no push to recognise incompetence as the positive feedback they get drowns out any constructive criticism, and it's much easier to accept positive feedback than swallow your pride and reflect honestly on your skills.
I agree 100%
I think that Mojang is currently in that deep pit of "we're the best because our fanboys say so. Hey let's go make our game look pretty but not really play it properly" and so they are not listening to anyone outside the immediate mob of sheep that says "hey - you know this feature here, why couldn't it have been something else" or "Yeah it's nice, but I'd love a new [---] for the near future instead of another variation on glass"

I think they all need to sit down, stop and play a bit of BTW to get themselves back on track and make vMC a much more defined game rather than just a 10minute survival. I mean, let's face it, once you've got your dirt hut and stone sword, you're pretty much invincible.
Tick tock, out of time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ingenious Mekanism wrote:I think they all need to sit down, stop and play a bit of BTW to get themselves back on track and make vMC a much more defined game rather than just a 10minute survival. I mean, let's face it, once you've got your dirt hut and stone sword, you're pretty much invincible.
Grum did play some BTW at one point. One of the most telling comments during it was when he remarked they should probably add the iron nuggets to MC right away, but that people would "complain too much" :P

The whole situation is just fubar man, and I don't see there being any hope of it changing. There's not even much point talking about it anymore.
Ingenious Mekanism

FlowerChild wrote: Grum did play some BTW at one point. One of the most telling comments during it was when he remarked they should probably add the iron nuggets to MC right away, but that people would "complain too much" :P
We should blame society.
F**k you society.

But really, it would be nice if the nuggets and some other BTW features were added to vMC - oh well. Guess i'll have to play BTW solidly from now on. what a shame ;)
Tick tock, out of time.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

vMC is too deep in s**t. Anything Mojang change, people complain about. Only time there's minimal complaining is when they add new stuff.