Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

I think this is a work in progress that they intend to apply to gameplay effects or what have you. I doubt the intent of the feature is just to provide trippy visual filters to play with all the time, but if you look at it in terms of providing various effects for poisons or potions or what have you, it makes way more sense.
CrafterOfMines57

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/3 ... 2534455296

I'm interested to see where they are going with this player ID and name changing stuff... mostly just because my username is practically the most unoriginal username ever created.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:I think this is a work in progress that they intend to apply to gameplay effects or what have you. I doubt the intent of the feature is just to provide trippy visual filters to play with all the time, but if you look at it in terms of providing various effects for poisons or potions or what have you, it makes way more sense.
That was my first thought; though I think it's going to be more of an adventure map thing. I wouldn't be surprised if command blocks can set a player's shader next update, with this being a test run to see how it impacts most player's performance.

I'm halfway tempted to check out the new snapshot to see how it plays, as it's apparently got much better performance in addition to the visual refinements they added.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Rob

Post by Rob »

CrafterOfMines57 wrote:https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/3 ... 2534455296

I'm interested to see where they are going with this player ID and name changing stuff... mostly just because my username is practically the most unoriginal username ever created.
This. The only thing I've been anticipating for from Mojang. Silly me to use first and last name for account, not knowing it was my ingame name as well.
derekiv

Post by derekiv »

I would love to capitalize my name.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Mojang broke their servers(Maintenance)! Nooo, the sky is falling. The end is near. Save yourselves! Houston, we have a problem! Abandon ship! Mayday, mayday! Dot dot dot, dash dash dash, dot dot dot!

<Composes self> That is all. Carry on.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I was under the impression that there was a DDoS attack. The pattern of server return and failure would match with such. I also got a message from prolexic regarding a high level of risk involving DDoS attacks today.

Also, seeing as the minecraft websites are maintained separately from the mojang website servers, and since they are both down, It would make more sense if it was a DDoS attack
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Rob

Post by Rob »

I figured as much, I just didn't want to incite panic amongst the masses. ;-)
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

New snapshot actually saw something of interest at least to me stained glass

Changelog in spoiler
Spoiler
Show
Added Stained Glass and Stained Glass Panes
Glass Panes and Iron Bars are rendered differently, and are 2 pixel thick boxes
Stained Glass Crafted the same way as Stained Clay, but with glass
Stained Glass Panes Crafted the same way as regular glass panes, but with Stained Glass. This only yields 6 panes instead of the normal 16 (possibly a bug)
Iron Bars now connect to Glass Panes
Iron Bars and Glass Panes now connect to Glass
Rewrite of the network code[3]
Uses Netty now
Game doesn't pause anymore, instead a timelapse of what happened is played when resuming the game (possibly a bug)[citation needed]
Reworked the Server List
Added server icons
Lists the current players on a server when you hover over the player number
Added Support for multi-line MOTD comments
Removed support for MOTD comments going offscreen
Fixed bugs
MC-1379 - Transparent texture makes transparent texture behind invisible
MC-10984 - GS4 query listener fails to send player list when len(players) > 127
MC-16435 - Boats Still Break on Lily's
MC-29498 - Villagers, exchanging 2 items for one, have their second required item in trade deleted after reloading the world.
MC-27948 - Fire aspect does not cause fire on any mob
MC-30873 - Crash - Block Statistics: If Player breaks Technical Blocks, Statistics are getting corrupted
MC-31619 - Item frames are self lit
MC-31649 - Beacon Beam not showing
MC-31686 - Custom mob names can't be seen through blocks
MC-32008 - Since 13w38b leaves are lighter and cast a lot less shadows
MC-32733 - Game is sending incorrect (additional?) frames to the video buffer.
MC-32762 - No logging to development console
MC-33025 - No logs created in 13w39 client in singleplayer mode
MC-33057 - Text is completely unreadable/invisible
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

What's more interesting about the above is that they apparently changed rendering so that you can view other translucent blocks through translucent blocks to get the colored glass to work.

Otherwise, it would generate the same problems you have with not being able to see water through nether portals and that kind of thing, which is largely why vanilla or mods haven't included colored glass up until now.

I'm wondering what they did to get that to work, as when I looked at the related code in the past, it didn't seem like it could be done without significant performance overhead.
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

FlowerChild wrote:It didn't seem like it could be done without significant performance overhead.
In the update video I watched from Antvenom, he was having random lag without knowing why. He disregarded it pretty fast...
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Anbaric wrote: In the update video I watched from Antvenom, he was having random lag without knowing why. He disregarded it pretty fast...
Ah :)

May be a case of "let's fuck performance because people keep nagging us for colored glass" then.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Am I the only one who finds stained glass so ugly it makes my eyes hurt?

You would think stained glass would be a bit less vibrant, but no, let's go kids cartoon on their ass.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Am I the only one who finds stained glass so ugly it makes my eyes hurt?
No, it's pretty frigging ugly :)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:Am I the only one who finds stained glass so ugly it makes my eyes hurt?
No, it's pretty frigging ugly :)
TBH I think the worst part of the stained glass and all this is the fact that you can now see the back of the glass block while looking into it (or if you have several beside each other you can see all the inner corners) That and the part about being able to see ice through water.. that.. no. I loved being able to hide ice beneath water, it was one of the coolest things to be able to find a huge pond, then replace every second deep block with ice. This way it would make a big platform that you could sorta walk across.. Yeah glass looks ugly now because its no longer an actual 'see through block' and more of just another transparent block.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Gears

Post by Gears »

I'm glad they fixed the semi-transparent block BS, but the ugly stained glass and lag spikes are a bit too painful to make up for it...

Also the whole inconsistency with the back faces being visible on stained glass just seems out of place and makes the thing seem hollow
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Mud

Post by Mud »

lostone1993 wrote:*snip*
Removing the ability to pause could be interesting, but the wording makes it unclear if not pausing is the bug or the time lapse thing is a bug...
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I was extremely confused how they could pull off layered alphas until I saw that glass no longer conceals far corners of transparent blocks and realized that the answer was "they done fucked up" pretty massive failures on mojang's part, and I doubt they even considered the performance overhead.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

lostone1993 wrote:Added Stained Glass and Stained Glass Panes
*Head explodes
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

After messing around with Stained Glass in a creative world for a bit, I feel that it would only be useful in conjunction with stained clay, which would make for some rather horrendous looking builds. Also, I only experienced lag once during my testing while I was starting up the world, and my PC is distinctly bad and running Minecraft smoothly.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

For what was supposed to be an aesthetic feature; rendering the inside of the block just adds a lot of visual noise and pretty much kills any aesthetics that could otherwise have been achieved.

Making a new feature self defeating/obsolete in the same update seems to happen a fair bit lately ... well I guess it got dinnerbone'd.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Yeah the new glass really just doesn't look right. The fact that you can see the side of the block when looking through it really ruins it. I have also tried seeing if it looked good with any blocks and it really doesnt fit in. Even with stainded clay it looks out of place because stainded clay is very clean and the glass texture has always been very "noneclean".
Thats my opinion anyway.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

erikdk321 wrote:Yeah the new glass really just doesn't look right. The fact that you can see the side of the block when looking through it really ruins it. I have also tried seeing if it looked good with any blocks and it really doesnt fit in. Even with stainded clay it looks out of place because stainded clay is very clean and the glass texture has always been very "noneclean".
Thats my opinion anyway.
Challenge Accepted
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Challenge complete- I find that 26 blocks of obsidian arranged around a block of glass looks much better.

(The good news is that clear glass still looks the same, so at least existing buildings won't get trashed.)

Also when did it change so that I have to re-authenticate my account every time I use the new launcher?
I heard DB was doing something with the accounts, but if this is the case then it's a little annoying.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

I noticed that too. Our internet went out for a few days and I couldn't play... Which is just silly.