Jungle Survival [possible spoilers]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
utakataJ6

Jungle Survival [possible spoilers]

Post by utakataJ6 »

So, I recently took my turn on the Better Than Wolves succession game, and I received a jungle spawn bordering a desert. Apparently I don't have very much skill surviving the new jungle mechanics, but surely there will be some times when a BTW player receives a hardcore spawn in such a place and finding an exit is not feasible.

The first ten minutes of the following video show how I played until my death (and the end of my turn); basically, I tried to stay on the edge of the biome, chopped normal wood, scouted for spiders and hats and started building up my tech, but as soon as I sought food I was slain.
Spoiler
Show
Any suggestions? Educate me. Be harsh if you please.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Jungle Survival [possible spoilers]

Post by FlowerChild »

Having watched the first portion of the vid (will watch the rest in a bit), my advice is to not play while describing how the mod works to your friends and spending long periods of your first day standing out in the open while accomplishing nothing towards forward progress :)

You were basically screwed when night fell man with no food, very little wood, and no shelter. That wasn't really biome dependent, it just determined the specific nature of your demise ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lol...Icy, if you are reading this, I think you will find the run of the 2nd player in the above vid highly amusing, given he randomly stumbles across your base ;)
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Fair enough. I think I'm going to try a few jungle spawns on my own and see if I can do much better, given there was food available (mushrooms, presumably pigs and chickens, cocao). I simply havn't put much thought into starting in a jungle previously.

And I definitely called that being icy's base!
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Don't get me wrong: my primary advice for a jungle spawn is to leave as quickly as possible, as there's a good chance it'll get you killed. I've been intending for awhile to try one for myself from the start, but for the most part, I consider them to be places you don't want to be in, particularly in the early game.

I actually really appreciated what you were saying in that vid about large biomes being difficult to survive for a variety of reasons. I've been saying for awhile now that BTW isn't balanced for them, but it's the first time I've seen that really emphasized in practice like that. The different biomes are definitely showing their own attributes and corresponding pros and cons now, and not being able to readily switch between them makes life rather difficult.

Anyways, was an entertaining watch man, and it clued me into a few things, so thanks for that :)
brab

Post by brab »

Thank you for your post, I was about to ask the same thing. I have recently been sent to a jungle after a death, and I decided to try it there. The reason is that the only alternative is a taiga across a big chunk of water, but getting there consumes too much food and there are no animals left (except with a few hungry wolves, and I think I heard a beast).

I've been dying quite a bit in the jungle (typically by spawning very close to the spider that just killed me, several times in a row), but I managed to slowly build a small shelter after a while (small tip: always have a chest nearby, and when things go south, dump everything in the chest). I also started a tiny cocoa farm (with two seeds), and I now have to find a solution about food. There are two cows trapped in leaves close to my base and I'd like to keep them alive, but they might have to go. Besides this, the only living things are cats and spiders, with the occasional mob. I guess I'll slowly clear the jungle around me, trying to find mushrooms or more cocoa pods. And in the worst case, I'll just starve to death and HS somewhere else.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

All this talk is almost making me want a save/server where everywhere in HCS range is jungle because sure "Hardcore mode" says hardcore, but nothing's more hardcore than facing the jungle and winning afaik.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Yeah, if I figure out how to do it, I'll let you know. I usually like to settle in the jungle right next to an ocean cove. Hell, my fave save is an all-jungle island in the middle of an ocean, if I started that one today I'd never survive.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I think the only way it to settle outside the jungle and move into it when you get further in the tech tree. You can't even get very far in the tech tree without leaving the jungle because you need cows and wolves...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

That's true. But you don't technically need those things to survive. The only thing you need to survive long term is the ability to farm. Even a hemp farm and chickens is enough for survival. Granted a sucky kind of survival but it's possible.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

It's not hunger that makes it so deadly though, it's the jungle spiders. I'm well into the late game and I usually either build high bridges over jungles or avoid them entirely...I've learned painfully that even a full set of armor and weapons doesn't do much good when they all start sneaking up on you. Even in the daytime they always seem to be hanging around.