Terraria PC update apparently in the works, due Mayish.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Six

Terraria PC update apparently in the works, due Mayish.

Post by Six »

So the news is getting around that Terraria has a 1.2 update for the PC in the works. Pretty sparse on details, but there has been hinting in their IRC channel and some talk from the main dev Redigit. They have a new artist (old one is working on Starbound now), there was talk of ~60 decorative items, a reworking of hallowed and corruption and a few other small things. Approximate release is scheduled for the end of May.

I've sunk more hours than I care to admit playing the existing game, but I think an update would warrant another playthrough.
Battosay

Re: Terraria PC update apparently in the works, due Mayish.

Post by Battosay »

Sweet :)
Played hundreds of hours when I first got the game, not afraid to do more ^^
Shinxy

Post by Shinxy »

Ooo, a new update? Sounds rad, man. I remember plugging away around 250 hours into that game, and didn't regret it too much.
Can't wait to see what the new hallowed/corruption system is all about.
:V
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Cool. I thought they were done with the game, but I guess not.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I spent a good amount of time playing that game too, but I only really played after an update. I suspect this one will be like the last major content update: Ill play nonstop for a couple days getting all the cool new stuff, then not touch it again
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Hype hype! October 1.2, so excited for the purported amount of content.
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

Mother of all necro's. Waiting and watching to actually get to see someone hit with FC's hammer live instead of as an instant replay.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

eh, It's not really a necro. None of the information prior to the...post, was really time sensitive other than the fact it's finally happening.

Which I'm kinda looking forward to. Terraria might only have a dozen hours of gameplay in it, but it's pretty damn good gameplay while it lasts.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I've had terraria almost since it came out, but after a while I stopped playing... with +200 hours of gameplay on it. I'll pick it back up once october rolls around.. :)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I'm quite looking forward to the update myself. This thread inspired me to check, and I have about 100 hours into Terraria. While I definitely prefer a 3D environment for this kind of thing, it was a great example for me of turning a "voxel game" (yes, I realize 2D "voxels" aren't voxels, but design wise it's a very similar concept to MC, and "pixel" doesn't really cover it here) into an actual game rather than just a toy. Heck, it even inspired me in a number of BTW features, like I know I originally came up with HC Buckets while playing Terraria and lamenting how the gameplay of channeling water was absent from MC, and then considering how I could get that kind of gameplay without the overhead of complicating the water physics.

Not sure how anyone would really exhaust it in a dozen hours Storm. I think even getting to the "end" and fighting through all the bosses would take much longer, especially the first time around.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

~glances at Steam logs~ Jesus, I've spent 260 hours of my life playing Terraria...

Yeah, the chances of me not dropping another hundred hours on this patch are pretty much nil...
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I also intend to get back into the swing of things when it hits. TB and Jesse Cox are doing a series on it (again) as well, to celebrate the coming update (which they have access to).
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

It's probably worth noting that it a 100% port was released for iOS within the last few weeks. It's way more touch screen friendly that minecraft. While it had lost some luster on the PC, it makes a great little time killer when out and about.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

1.2 is out! Woot!
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

"You were crushed my a boulder"

Yep, it's still terraria ;)

I even saw it coming too...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

It's out :D logged on and played for a little bit and I have to say it's like a whole new game! I've seen the giant ass trees, snow biome and the plagued biome (the purple stuff wit hte soul eaters, forget what its called :/ ) and it's soo cool :D

I have 89 hours into terraria so far and plan to spend a good 4 or so hours tonight just exploring a new world along with the boyfriend :)

has anyone tried to connect with another player for multiplayer yet? Havn't heard much about it yet :o
Rawr :D
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

myrkana wrote:has anyone tried to connect with another player for multiplayer yet? Havn't heard much about it yet :o
Just tried it today and it's so much fun!

I can't make it work without Hamachi, but the changelog says it shouldn't need hamachi anymore :P
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

As is expected with terraria, the new music is fabulous! I find the mini map unnecessary, though.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

EpicAaron wrote:I find the mini map unnecessary, though.
Yeah...agreed. I played a bit last night and turned it off about 5 minutes in. Someone obviously put a lot of work into it, and I can't for the life of me understand why.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I agree on that minimap thing. While I was playing, I never felt the need for it, especially once I got the magic mirror. Even if you get lost, you can always dig your way out - aside from the time it takes, there's no penalty to doing so.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Heh, I think most of us are fundamentally opposed to cheats features like this, in games where there are other methods of finding your way
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I feel that the maps are near the same level as Minecraft Coordinates in terms of not fitting with the game world. The huge floating GPS in the corner of the screen really takes you out of the game.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

EpicAaron wrote:I feel that the maps are near the same level as Minecraft Coordinates in terms of not fitting with the game world. The huge floating GPS in the corner of the screen really takes you out of the game.
Yeah, that part certainly doesn't help. It doesn't look like part of the game UI...more like a low quality mod or something. Even before I played around with it I had an "Eww...wtf is that?" reaction soon as I saw it.
Six

Post by Six »

Yup, I've been grinding through too and very quickly turned off the map as well.

I have to say in the early game ropes are amazing and made a huge impact on the gameplay. I'm actually kind of sad now that I've made a grappling hook and ropes are all but irrelevant, except in elevator-like systems. I'm also just getting into actually building up a town to move my NPCs into and the decoration stuff is pretty intensive.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I will confess I previously desired a map I could craft or use in my pre 1.2 play. Not for constant use but to gauge locations relative to my base on a large map.

I ended up using an out of game mapping tool and while it was cool to quickly zoom in on all the stuff I had explored it was probably not nesisary to include in 1.2.

Very glad for the new variety of music. Don't think I could have played another run just to the old scores :P