Does hardcore spawn change the way you play?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
brab

Does hardcore spawn change the way you play?

Post by brab »

I've noticed that I've slowly changed how I play because of hardcore spawn. Before, when I died, my first goal was to rush back to where I had died to try to get back what I was carrying at that time. But with hardcore spawn, this is no longer possible. Instead, building a chest is very high on my list, and I always try to carry as little as possible with me. As I die a lot (I'm a noob, I only managed to craft a hoe once since hardcore mining was implemented), this means I'm slowly colonizing the whole radius around original spawn, and I'm having a lot of fun doing it (especially when I stumble back on some old tiny base I built).

What I love about hardcore spawn is that, even though it makes dying much more consequential, every small progress that has been made (planting mushrooms, building a furnace, ...) is actual progress in the large scheme of things. And it's much more fun than starting from scratch.
Taleric

Re: Does hardcore spawn change the way you play?

Post by Taleric »

Completely agree, HC spawn is great fun especially rediscovering forgotten builds. The elation felt when returning home from a long death/trip is a very unique experiance to BTW. (In my gaming experiance at least.)

On carrying the minimum amount of gear this is something I remind myself to do constantly. Even after you can judged risk properly and reach late game there can be an oops where all your items are forfeit.
heypaint

Post by heypaint »

"Does HC spawn change the way I play?"

I lol'd when I read the heading. And my answer is F*&$@K YEAH! Oh my god I hate to die! Get a farm and some iron armor and a creeper walks up behind you while your fighting a spider! Suddenly I'm punching trees again! I restarted (new world) with 667 update and I am now the most timid, cautious, and frightened player you have ever encountered. I don't go out in the dark, I don't go out in the rain, I don't go too deep into caves, jungles or swamps. I just build a 4x4 house out of dirt and soil myself everytime a wolf howls. I have died so much that the very thought of having to start punching trees again makes bile rise up in my throat.

So I guess that's a 'yes.'
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Very much so. At the start of a new world I'm fairly cautious, grab some wood, hunt a little, and spend the night mining cobble. Rinse and repeat. The I get food production up after gathering a bit of iron, and once I have my first pick well... Then it's complete and utter madness. I see everything as a threat and get jumpy from caving. It's not even that I'm afraid of dying and starting over, since by that point I have quite a few measures put in to help me find my way home. It's more possibly losing the Pick I have, any Iron I was carrying, and then having to start iron all over. Possibly draining the area until I have to move to start over. In my current world I'm all the way up to crucible/kiln level so with a plethora of materials built up, I'm much less worried about actually dying. It can be unfortunate but I can live with it.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Absolutely. If I don't know where I'll spawn, I make an effort to ensure that I don't die. After all, I don't want to spend a long time working my way up to a compass to return to spawn if I die.

However, if I know that I can easily navigate my way back, I care a bit less about deaths - I just take a quick stop to get whatever food, weapons, and armor I feel I need to recover my things and then head to where I died to recover my things; that's assuming, of course, that I don't just only carry the things I feel I can stand losing.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire