Is strip mining viable?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
JakeZKAM

Is strip mining viable?

Post by JakeZKAM »

So I've been running into an Iron shortage recently in my main world. I managed to make farming tools, 2 diamond picks, a few iron ones, and a cauldron. I still have left over iron for a few more picks from caving and FC has stated before that Diamond level is really when you should start strip mining. So I've been strip mining, getting lots of Gold, Redstone, and at least 14 Diamonds from one pick but... Not nearly enough Iron. I usually get just enough to make another pick before I run out, but not enough to continue advancing and make my Iron suit of armor for the nether (and all the other gadgets I need.)

So I was wondering is there a better level that I should strip mine at for iron, or is caving the only real answer? Now I love caving as the only thing that's more terrifying at the moment is the Nether but still I'd like to avoid it for awhile and build up my base if I can.
derekiv

Re: Is strip mining viable?

Post by derekiv »

My recommendation is that if you haven't already used up the diamond picks, throw some enchantments on them and use them to gather iron. Save the iron for the armor you need to get blaze rods. Once you have a single blaze rod you can make a hibachi to start recycling your iron.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

I get my first iron pick and use that to spelunk my way down to get me diamonds. After I get a diamond pick made most of my iron from that point forward goes into a two saws. One for me and one for the mob trap. I start out with 2-3 levels that are maybe 16x16 and that will start to get you the occasional iron bar. You don't need to go too much bigger at first because lighting things up plays a larger role. Which means more spelunking and more resources. I don't start strip mining diamond level until my mob trap is running and preferably I have a hibachi.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ummmm...no, I didn't state that branch mining *should* be started when you hit diamond level, I said it wouldn't really be viable without a diamond pick. Not at all the same thing.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

I know this is not really the approved method, but I actually only branch mine when I have stone picks, and start caving as soon as I have iron pick/iron sword/basic armor. With stone picks, it's doable, safe, and stone is plentiful enough that I don't mind "wasting" it on branch mining. Besides, at that point I usually need stone anyway, so branch mining is a good way to collect it while collecting what coal and iron I can find. The exception is small surface caves near my base -- I usually strip those of iron and coal within the first in-game week using just my stone picks.

It certainly takes longer to get up to an iron pick that way, but without armor and a sword I'm absolutely terrified of caves. Once I start caving, though, I collect iron very quickly...I usually have enough for two or three more picks within an hour or so.

EDIT: Actually once I'm into the mid game I branch mine for redstone, gold, and diamonds fairly often, since I've usually emptied out most nearby caves at that point. I almost never branch mine for iron though -- I just build a mob trap instead.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I'm also in the early branch/strip mine camp. When you are short on coal, every single torch counts so for maximum efficiency I end up digging out a slowly expanding cluster of cylinders stretching from the bottom of the dirt layer to the beginning of the midlevel strata with a single torch in the center of each.
Better is the enemy of Good
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Yeah I kinda gave up on branch mining for iron :/. I found an amazing ravine system to plunder though (which is freaking awesome) so I guess I'm going to have to get to work on that mobtrap soon. Plenty of diamonds/redstone though :)
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

DaveYanakov wrote:...so for maximum efficiency I end up digging out a slowly expanding cluster of cylinders stretching from the bottom of the dirt layer to the beginning of the midlevel strata with a single torch in the center of each.
I like this idea. Do you ever turn these into mob traps? Because this could be a clever multi-use/planning technique.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I don't strip mine early game per say, however early game you need cobble right? Why not gather it in a useful way?
I dig a 2x2 tunnel down to the mid level strata and extend it in a single direction as i need cobble. Doing it at this level gives the added bonus of having some chance of exposing iron as well as caves that extend into the next strata. In my current hc spawn area, I'm extending the tunnel underneath the extreme Hills biome I'm in in order to eventually provide a safer passage and less food intensive route to the other side once I dig up and break out.
In short, early game cobble gathering can certainly be done in a manner that aids you later in the game and even gets you poised for strip mining later.
brab

Post by brab »

DaveYanakov wrote:I'm also in the early branch/strip mine camp. When you are short on coal, every single torch counts so for maximum efficiency I end up digging out a slowly expanding cluster of cylinders stretching from the bottom of the dirt layer to the beginning of the midlevel strata with a single torch in the center of each.
This sounds very efficient! If I understand correctly, you put a torch at the center, then as you're going down you keep moving it down? How wide is the cylinder? And how do you get back up?
Rob

Post by Rob »

brab wrote:This sounds very efficient! If I understand correctly, you put a torch at the center, then as you're going down you keep moving it down? How wide is the cylinder? And how do you get back up?
You don't really need to move a torch as long as you stay in the cylinder. Mobs won't spawn within a certain radius of you. Leaving a torch at the bottom when you are done(or leave to come back later) would be to keep mobs from spawning there when you aren't. And keeping it open to the sky means no gloom, and enough light at night too see what you are doing. A 2x2 hole would probably be the best option, using ladders to get out.
mikeyagoto

Post by mikeyagoto »

I feel like this would create an easy early game mob trap as well, if I understand it properly, just cover the holes in vine traps, divert some water down, not too hard if there is nearby surface water, and connect each hole to a central location, then for safety just fence it in or build a spider proof wall around and light everything else up.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

I gave up on branch mining until after the crucible. Fortunately, if you find an abandoned mine (or search for one) you'll have more then enough iron for armor (if you're so inclined). These days my favorite finds are ravines though. Although extremely dangerous when you first find them, the shear amount of resources one can gather is staggering.