Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

MrLemon wrote:I find it a bit odd everyone directly blaming Lpers for this change. Dinnerbone was talking about wanting improved portal physics back when they let animals into the Nether. Not saying they did or didn't have anything to do with this change, but blaming them seems odd given Jeb and Dinnerbone's incompetence designing features on their own.
I think it's more due to Dinnerbone's ongoing association to certain LPers and how many of his changes seem to reflect what's going on in those vids. It's not the LPers fault there: it's Dinnerbone's for listening.

It's almost similar to how the LP series I watch, like Icy's and Vioki's have such an obvious impact on the design of the mod. However, in my case it mostly has to do with me spotting game design holes through observing their play, rather than responding to their complaints ;)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

FlowerChild wrote:
Oh, no problem man. Given the character limit on twitter it's rather difficult to explain things in a coherent manner.

It's fine for reporting on your bowel movement
I subscribed to your twitter for this particular reason, and I have seen a distinct lack of the above lately. I expect many would celebrate its return
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rianaru wrote:I subscribed to your twitter for this particular reason, and I have seen a distinct lack of the above lately. I expect many would celebrate its return
Damn you! I'm not your dancing/pooping monkey! ;)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

/me continues throwing steaks in FC's direction
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...I just got into in on Twitter with Dinnerbone about this portal thing and the general issue of constraints being a big part of what makes MC fun.

https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL

For those of you that have popcorn on hand :)
Hm, tried to read it, but it looks like you're having a conversation with yourself, aside from a few tweets. Are dinnerbone's tweets set to followers only?
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Rob wrote:Portal size doesn't effect balance, it's just aesthetic fluff. The LPers I follow made mention of wanting an odd width portal to fit their builds. Which I can kind of understand, being aesthetic minded as well. The standard 3x2 plus a new 2x3 or 3x3 would have been sufficient. Dinnerbone just ran with it, ran with it like Forest Gump. Run, Dinnerbone, Run.
I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with you there, with 23 of the largest portals adjacently, 23x23x23, Doc was getting a new pigman spawning every few seconds without any kind of mob cap. This would make nether traps for gold irrelevant.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
ion

Post by ion »

Husbag3 wrote:
Rob wrote:Portal size doesn't effect balance, it's just aesthetic fluff. The LPers I follow made mention of wanting an odd width portal to fit their builds. Which I can kind of understand, being aesthetic minded as well. The standard 3x2 plus a new 2x3 or 3x3 would have been sufficient. Dinnerbone just ran with it, ran with it like Forest Gump. Run, Dinnerbone, Run.
I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with you there, with 23 of the largest portals adjacently, 23x23x23, Doc was getting a new pigman spawning every few seconds without any kind of mob cap. This would make nether traps for gold irrelevant.
don't mix vanilla with BTW thinking about mob traps, FC would surely fix it.
OT
i like all the new terrain generation, gravel beaches are back and all that new eye candy is really nice for me
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Husbag3 wrote: I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with you there, with 23 of the largest portals adjacently, 23x23x23, Doc was getting a new pigman spawning every few seconds without any kind of mob cap. This would make nether traps for gold irrelevant.
FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.8913 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!
-Changed zombie pigmen to not drop gold nuggets in the overworld so that effective pigmen farms are restricted to the nether.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Husbag3 wrote: I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with you there, with 23 of the largest portals adjacently, 23x23x23, Doc was getting a new pigman spawning every few seconds without any kind of mob cap. This would make nether traps for gold irrelevant.
FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.891123 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!
-Removed pigmen spawning randomly around nether portals as it couldn't really be prevented in game, wasn't related to pigmen actually having access to your portal on the nether side, and was largely just an annoyance with no real in-game justification. The stuff you should most definitely not worry about largely replaces this kinda thing now anyways, so any concern, dread, or sense of impending spikey doom you were experiencing over this is entirely unwarranted. Sheeesh...you're just opening portals to hell, so I have no idea what you're getting so nervous about. Chill.
this happened before the gold drop was removed too :P the gold drop removal was for no reason at all... Trust me... There is absolutely NOTHING to worry about... At all....
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
devak

Post by devak »

Husbag was talking about Vanilla. In vanilla, at an even lower obsidian cost than before, you can just make a 23x portal and get a constant flow of gold.
TheGatesofLogic

We were more replying to ion's statement, i didn't realize that husbag was quoted and not Ion :P
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I was talking about this in the context of vanilla; I had somewhat ruled out the idea of BTW coming to 1.7 in my head
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

After some consideration, I think I'm going to try to avoid twitter for anything more serious than my bowel movement journal in the future, but I've had something running around in my head since that exchange with Dinnerbone that I think I finally put into words:

He referred to the fixed dimensions of the portal as "artificial difficulty", which bothered me, but I skipped over it to move onto other points.

I find it extremely odd that he refers to building around something of particular dimensions and having to take that into account as "artificial difficulty" in a game that largely revolves around building. On the other hand, he's recently done stuff like skeletons being more dangerous at close range, zombies spawning others out of nowhere, and creepers falling on you and almost immediately exploding, which I think definitely qualify.

Anyways, just an oddity that I felt compelled to point out, but did not what to get mired down in another twitter rant :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hey! An upcoming vanilla feature I actually like! It had to happen sometime :)

Grum tweeted some "screenshots" (it's actually a little tool) of mipmapping in MC. Bout frigging time:

http://lab.xpaw.ru/minecraft-mipmapping/

Image to right of slider is mipmapped, to left of slider is not. You can move it around to see the difference it makes to rendering and how much it smooths out the jaggies that are typical of MC.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Does this mean you changed you mind about updating? :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Does this mean you changed you mind about updating? :P
Fuck no :)

Just means that there might be a feature in there worth me adding to BTW myself in the future.

Actually, it's worth mentioning that the bullshit in 1.7 with regards to turning Items and Blocks into some kind of abstract thing no longer referred to by ID settled that matter entirely for me. No way I am going to do a huge code refactor to accommodate that when there's absolutely no good reason for it.

It's total wankery. 64K block IDs would have been plenty, but instead they opted for some theoretically ideal garbage that will make the update hell for modders. Was absolutely the final straw for me, so no way I'm going to update BTW to new vanilla versions in the future. 1.5 is where BTW will remain.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

"Wow" here could apply to two things; first that the mipmapping looks great, second that that jungle biome has so many melons :s
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Now that I've thought about it, it kind of makes sense that there are design restrictions around the nether portal, however limited. It bends space around it, and pushes through to another dimension or plane. It makes a lot of sense that it has to be a specific size and shape - if you think about it from the lore/back story perspective (which I know isn't a major aspect of the game), a gate to hell would have to be built to pretty specific instructions, in case it went wrong.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Detritus wrote:[...] a gate to hell would have to be built to pretty specific instructions, in case it went wrong.
See, reading this I think I could get behind the whole choose-your-own-size portal if the bigger you made it, the worse the side-effects you could get around it. You want a fancy portal? Hope you can deal with the consequences. But nope, restrictions were removed with no tradeoff because it was "artificial difficulty" and sandbox means no rules anyway. Pff, yeah right.

In other news, the mipmapping is an interesting addition. Even I wouldn't complain about that one. :P
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

logorouge wrote: See, reading this I think I could get behind the whole choose-your-own-size portal if the bigger you made it, the worse the side-effects you could get around it. You want a fancy portal? Hope you can deal with the consequences. But nope, restrictions were removed with no tradeoff because it was "artificial difficulty" and sandbox means no rules anyway. Pff, yeah right.
Well, I always wished that MC had more consequences for your actions. That sort of meddling with the darkness seems to happen not infrequently in Steve's life, even just in vMC, and I doubt it's a very safe occupation. Sadly, I don't think we can expect any such thing any time soon, at least not in vMC.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Wow, it's like all they do is aesthetics. I will say, I like that one new biome that's supposed to be a densely covered forest(forgot what it's called and don't care) because it means a place that I would have to venture through that is dark all hours, I've always kinda thought that minecraft should have a forest like that. Other than that, this update sucks even more than the last one. I'll probably port in some of the flowers to the deco add-on though.
aJaroOllie

Post by aJaroOllie »

So, apparently 1.6.3 is being released today, over 2 months after the release of 1.6.2. Seems a bit weird. Source here.
IGN: Matthew_OJ
TheGatesofLogic

aJaroOllie wrote:So, apparently 1.6.3 is being released today, over 2 months after the release of 1.6.2. Seems a bit weird. Source here.
yeah, it's a fix to nether fortress issues that caused fortresses from worlds pre-1.7 snapshots to not register as fortresses any more. There also may be a couple small bug fixes other than that, but nothing substantial.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Make that 1.6.4, with six's better item frames.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Ohgod... Mojang has been using instagram too much >.< Video linkie
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa